Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. No0B

No0B Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @RobotDoctor, is your SSD full by any chance? If it is, that might be factoring in for everything being sluggish. But as I'm reading around, Duet's Windows driver seems not to be the cream of the crop. Especially with Nvidia Optimus enabled systems like the Razer Blade. And it seems to influence a whole bunch of seemingly unrelated things. Scary.

2. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For ****s and giggles, decided to run this thing

First run was a middling 1027, so i set the fans to 100% ... and ... this seems pretty alright.

Had HWMON on for it. Hottest core was 88c except for the last like second, which spiked to 91c, rest were mid-80s ... It's about 24c ambient too, so not exactly cool. All six cores stayed at 3.9 Ghz for the entirety of the test

Also jumped up to a whopping 55w of power consumption. Which is basically nothing compared to what my old alienware 15 r4 would pull. Pretty sure I saw the 8750h in that thing spike to ****ing 80w at one point.

This is FACTORY paste btw. I still have not removed the heatsink on this thing.

https://i.imgur.com/cSch5kv.png

3. RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

No, not even close. Here is my current drive usage summary.

upload_2019-7-12_17-56-48.png

4. No0B

No0B Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Huh. Well, that was just a random guess. :) The only other thing that comes to mind is monitor CPU usage when the sluggishness sets in. The Sysinternals Process Monitor can give you a lot more info on what is putting a load on the system than the Task Manager.

If and when you decide to upgrade, keep in mind that you won't get vastly better performance with an NVMe SSD with things like Windows bootup for example, because the access latency will be in the same ballpark. It's only once a file has been accessed do you see high speeds with NVMe vs. SATA, so only with larger files. You'd need to get an Intel Optane NVMe drive to get a significant measurable difference in latency and speed.

But as it sounds, you're being bottlenecked by something other than your SSD, a rogue driver or something.

EDIT: By the way, forgot to mention that, in your situation, buying an NVMe SSD or even an M.2 Optane SSD is likely a waste of money if you're happy with the performance your current drive was giving you in your use case. I mean before the system went haywire. So if you don't have a total garbo SSD, it's very likely you're good.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  5. CraftyClown

CraftyClown Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you ever sort this out mate? Mines been doing this for months now. It usually freezes up first then after a minute or two blue screens

6. Defalt

Defalt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How's Watch Dogs 2 and The Division 2 running for people without UV? I haven't applied an UV on this machine yet but I seem to be getting some heavy throttling from the moment I play either game (running on medium or high settings at 1920x1080) FPS is unstably bouncing between 40-50.

I'll probably start experiment with some settings later tonight. Im not so much worried about noise I just want a stable FPS >_<

7. No0B

No0B Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    There's no reason not to. :) Just take the time once and find your stable settings and leave it at that.

8. Defalt

Reputations:
    Yeah :) I spent nearly two hours reading this entire thread and found something useful from the user
    cjoshuav which might be a good place to start. I've done it before on previous Blades so hopefully it'll stop this issue with The Division 2 :D

Thanks again for sharing this cjoshuav

[​IMG]

9. Defalt

Reputations:
    upload_2019-7-16_16-50-38.png

Well this is worrying. This is running The Division 2 with Mod 2 settings from the table above.

I can only assume bad settings in game if I'm getting these temperatures? Anyone play/have Division 2 care to share your setting for TS & in-game please?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019 at 12:07 PM
  10. No0B

No0B Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Depending on what the GPU temperatures, and especially the CPU core frequency, were like throughout the session, I'd say it's either normal, or you'd be advised to replace the thermal compound.

The CPU does get very warm for me, but it doesn't drop down from the turbo clock speed a lot. In most game workloads it's fluctuating around 3.9GHz +/- 200MHz for me, but I've replaced the thermal compound quite a while ago. Before that the CPU performance was really gimped.