Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. huey85

huey85 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I know that - but it doesn't hurt to ask to have reference points to trial at.

Thanks for your input mate, much more helpful than the blunt response I got prior to yours.

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you already call that blunt.....I also could you point at all the google undervolting results. In the end no data is helpful because you could have a godlike chip that can run at -100mv or a dud that only undervolt around -50mv. So if you already knew that why not just put the effort and test your system? Why let others do your work?

3. Goracij

Goracij Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My results:
    Blade 15 advanced RTX2070MQ -150mV (Intel XTU, core/cach, didn't try to reduce core separatelly yet)
    Blade 15 advanced GTX1060MQ -170mV (cache) and -180mV (core, it can go lower but I didn't stress-test it for anything lower than that yet) with ThrottleStop.

Both laptops run absolutally stable with those offsets.
    From what I saw, for 8750H people do get ca. -150mV average.

I have another question as well: what results you guys have in Cinebench R20 with all that undervolting? For R15 the maximum I found was 1300 and average 1200 with UV, but what are average scores in R20 (max value I found is ~2900)?

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    huey85 likes this.
  4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Undervolting value may be vary each unit even same cpu, on synthetic benchmarks I can do -160mV Offset but not in gaming I use mostly -130mV range with 8750H.
    Benchmarks result (score) is also vary depends on Razer bios setting especially power limitation. Current 45 watt would brings lower score on r15 maybe max around 1150 and r20 around 2400, couple months ago with some tdp spike to 60 watt I could get r20 around 2800~ and r15 1200~ with only undervolting (no bios tweak, on stock), with tweak I can fool that limitation but higher cpu temperature as trade off.

5. huey85

huey85 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I seem to be able to get stable UV around -150mV for cpu and cpu cache, thanks for everyone's inputs. I haven't tried going any more than that. Also limited to 3.6 turbo. I did see that the temps reached 100deg celcius a few times when I was playing Metro Exodus and when I benchmarked with Unigine superposition. Is that something I should be worried about?

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    100c is really high for the undervolt and clockspeed limit you have in place. what are your ambient temps? Because in a 24c room the max i saw is 85 on the hottest core after a couple of hours of BFV (the third core is always the hottest for some reason with these CPU's).

Muezick likes this.
  7. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have had a similar result as Rinneh. Hours of Odyssey in ...well I didn't measure the ambiet, but i'm guessing it was low 20s C ... CPU never got over 80-85.

I'm thinkin you mighta gotten one of the unfortunate paste jobs from the factory. That or your heat sink is physically defective.

rinneh likes this.
  8. huey85

huey85 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Generally the temps don't go passed 85 degrees celcius with gaming but not sure why on this occasion it got up to 100. When I benchmark with 3d Mark timespy it maxes out at low 80s.

Ambient temps are around 21 deg celcius

Edit: might have been the fact I was playing metro exodus on my bed. I'll try it on a flat surface and see how the temps go.

9. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Most users rise the bottom area for better intake while gaming, cover that area will surely make it hot.

10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That is the worst thing you can do with any gaming laptop, pretty much choking your fans.

Muezick likes this.