Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks Joikansai my laptop is up and running and fine now. I guess the final question I have is that I wonder if at some point we can change out the keyboard for the new one which has more illuminated keys (Secondary) rather then buying a whole new laptop. I actually want those keys more then I was a RTX series GPU or at least I have more use for it.

2. RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I loaded Duet software for connecting my iPad as a second monitor. Very shortly after the initial installation I started getting intermittent blue screens, caused by Duet. Like an idiot, I did not set a restore point prior to this. I uninstalled the Duet but the performance of my RB15 seems to be a bit sluggish. While I no longer get blue screens, start up seems to take a bit longer and many applications seem to take longer to open. Is there any software that can scan and identify issues with a system and identify the cause of system operation inefficiencies?

3. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Duet suck on laptops with dgpu, I got refunded. I think their cs said that too (not suck though only we’re developing Blabla for laptops with dgpu). I want to use iPad Pro usb c directly with Blade 15 not other ultrabook. It’s the software that makes bsod uninstall it and you’re good imo. Damn they lied or too slow developing, it was like half year ago.

4. RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I ended up buying a 10 inch portable monitor that is connected by HDMI/mini HDMI and powered by USB. It works perfectly. I got a small Pelican case which I had to modify a little but the small screen is now protected. I have little to no use for the iPad on the road when I travel for business but the iPad can be useful for family trips and around the home.

5. bimmerboii

bimmerboii Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there any way to set a charging limit for the RB15? I want to plug it in for long but want to cap charging at 80%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    unfortunately not, thi sis one of my most wishes for options in gaming laptops as well.

7. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well i just skimmed over/read every single post in this thread.

Lots of amazing information here. Makes me wanna start buying laptops after they have been out for a year first.

Recently got a deal on a RB15 Base model for about 950 bucks (128ssd/1tb, 1060 max q, 60hz screen) ... open box at Microcenter (Its mint condition!). The SSD it had in it was complete god damn garbage, holy cow, like 400 read and 220 write. where the hell did it even come from lmao .... build quality, keyboard, sound, screen, god damn the screen in this thing is the nicest IPS i have ever, very very little BLB, tested it thanks to that handy website that was posted on like page 20... lol

I must say, you guys are blowing this screw into plastic thing way out. 8 of the 10 screws screw into the metal of the chasis, as near as I can tell, the ones that screw into plastic are literally just there for cosmetics, given the two adjacent on either side screw into the metal of the chasis. I've been working in laptop repair for a long time, and when people started mentioning "Plastic screw mounts" I was like "Oh **** no!" ... I opened up my blade and was dramatically relieved. I have seen laptops where all three of the hinge screws, never mind every single other chasis screw, was a plastic weld .... two mostly cosmetic screws is NOTHING. (Been waiting about 100 pages of reading to type this rant, so please bare with me :p)

As far as temps go, i couldn't be happier. Got me a little Throttlestop going, and in most games, even with game mode on, my CPU doesn't get over 85, and my GPU hardly ever breaks 75 ... with game mode off, the thermals are even better. Only games that absolutely rape the CPU like Assassins Creed cause my CPU to break 90 ... and that's without a repaste.

I've had it about a week, went on ahead and bought the 2 years of ADH protection for it, which i wasn't thrilled about, but all things together, i still got this thing for cheaper than new retail.

I have been periodically running tests on **** people have been complaining about for 300 pages and haven't seen a single one of these issues arise on this blade. It was originally made in Nov 2018. And I'm probably confused but for some reason, my Function keys do have their functions lit up, which i was under the impression the Base model didn't have that.

So any ways I dropped a 1TB 960 Pro and a 2TB Seagate into it, and when I go into super power saving/media/facebook mode, i can get a good 6 hours of battery life.

This thing is *perfect* ... I keep waiting for something catastrophically terrible to happen because that's my luck with Laptops. Been through three Alienware 13 R3's, an Alienware 15 R3 and an Alienware 15 R4, a bunch of dell latitudes, none of them were perfect... the RB15 aint either, but aside from a few minor quirks (WTF is up with this keyboard button arrangement god damn) ... it's still a good 9/10 for me.

So ya ... Not many people post who have actually GOOD experiences ... most you only ever hear about the bad ones ... but here's a good one.

Cheers. (Also AMA if you need... I will be monitoring this thread.)

p.s. im pretty sure my bios version is 1.01 ... too afraid to upgrade it. afraid it might break something cuz afiak i can tell, everything works, It even charges when the lid is closed!

p.s.s. - There was already a fat cooling pad attached to the bottom chassis over the SSD which i thought was funny because it shipped with such a ****ty SSD... but im glad i didn't have to go find one cuz my 960 pro runs like a dream!

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    DrewN and Joikansai like this.
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They also improved those 2 plastic anchor points in newer models which are reinforced, so currently not too worried about that. I only worry for now about the battery during the years and the display cable that runs in the advanced models over the heatsink (The GS65, Triton 500 etc do this too but arent flat cables).WIll try to buy 1 or 2 of those display cables in the future to have a backup. Apart from that my 2019 RTX version runs great. Using it 14~16 hours a day for work and gaming.

Muezick and Joikansai like this.
  9. xXHeadyXx

xXHeadyXx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i would expect the triton or gs65 to last longer though cause its only running over one set of finns wich are directly at the fan wich cools them ( or tries to cool them ) , other than the razer wich runs the cable directly ontop of the cpu

10. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I saw around 3 gs65 with possibility cable display defect (vertical line), I’ve such issue on my xiaomi laptop that run too hot all around cassis and Razer Edge (on this Tablet I’m not sure from heat because I dropped it), fixed it by rewiring the display cable. I don’t see vertical line or display cables issue yet on Blade, only webcam defect that maybe from that heat, but display still not defected.