Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. Assault

Assault Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah went right through.

Didn't stop the freezing track pad after waking from sleep though :confused:

2. Erase

Erase Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I experienced something weird on my Blade. When earphones are plugged in, I get an initial cracking sound for the first time I open something or start a video/music. Like the sound is on sleep and wakes up. As long as the sound runs, there is no issue at all and the quality is all fine. I've already updated the latest realtek drivers, however I use Windows High Definition Audio drivers, because in my opinion the realtek ones sound a little flat compared to the windows ones. I've tested it with the Realtek drivers working and the issue still persists. I realized that the Windows HDA was already working when I received the Blade, so it was pre-configured as well.
    The issue is that this cracking sound almost hurts in my ears, because it is much louder than the sound volume is set to.
    It would be great to hear about similar experiences from some of you, and perhaps someone was able to fix it without sending it back to Razer.

3. Erase

Reputations:
    Ok, for all that have the same issue, I probably found a solution. I digged a bit deeper and realized that I the installed Realtek HD Audio Dolby APO didn't have the cracking, however the sound was really flat, no bass and noisy highs. With the Windows HDA driver I had nice sound quality, but always the cracking when starting a sound file or after a while the sound output ended. So I tried something different and went to the window for selecting drivers manually and unchecked the box "show only compatible drivers". Then I selected Realtek and there was only one other driver available, "Realtek High Definition Audio (SST)". I chose it and now - I don't know why - I have the same nice sound qualita as with Windows HDA and no cracking as with the original Realtek Dolby APO driver.

4. huey85

huey85 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey guys just got my RB15 with the rtx2070mq and loving it so far. Just undervolted it to cool it down, but wanted to know what everyone's thoughts are on the best drivers to use for the GPU? I'm currently using the stock drivers that came pre-installed.

5. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Update it with nvidia experience or manually download from nvidia website to optimize the new titles.

6. huey85

huey85 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for your response. Will give those drivers a go.

7. AlexRayBest

AlexRayBest Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, kind of a long post ahead, sorry in advance.

So last Thursday I went to Best Buy and got an absolute STEAL on a 2018 Advanced Blade with the 1060. It was a shelf display but they allowed me to set it up and check things like battery health and SSD performance given it was probably never powered down whilst on display (6-8 months). They're on clearance right now for approx 1800 USD, I got it for $1071 USD. I know, crazy discount!

So day 1 with it was mostly spent admiring its design and overall top notch build quality. Other than that I quickly, like almost all of you, realized just how loud and hot the thing gets.
    That's where this thread came in; my immediate thought was to repaste (again from the fact that it was a shelf display), so I took to youtube and found Assault's breakdown and repasted with AS5.

With an additional -120 undervolt via XLT I had SOME success, 3-4 C which I was almost happy with, but then I started to research CPU degradation from overheating and wanted to get it under 82ish C full load. With following a video that Assault linked (Address that HOT i7-8750H) and doing a couple small things I thought of like limiting all cores turbo to 35x and propping the laptop up some, I achieved it and am finally happy, but not to say I didn't heavily consider LM for a bit, which I still may.

My question for you guys now, is what are the chances the 2019 advanced heatsink would work on the 2018 advanced? I know it's different, but satisfy my curiosity if you can. Also, I got a super low score on Firestrike, but I'm going to work on that some more myself before bringing it to this table. Any small tips and tricks would be awesome, thanks in advance!

P.S. I never thought I could read through 125+ pages in one night but wow am I full of Razer Blade knowledge now lol.

Thanks guys

8. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm severely disappointed and upset with Razer this week. I've always supported their products and services until this week or this past few months. Long story short I've converted from a Gamer to an everday user a Mac like user I mean I've just been working my office job and tracking my cars and working in the garage on tuning my cars and then talking to my girlfriend as I have long distance relationship and we need to video conference from time to during the weekdays.

But basically the Camera's flat out do not work on the Razer Blade 15 Advanced (First Edition, pre Windows Hello)

Initially my system's camera flat out didn't even work it didn't even turn on. I made the foolish assumption that Camera's are simple I mean the one on my Iphone works flawlessly, but not the case when it comes to laptops apparently. So Razer decided to replace the camera and the screen. Except the stock levels for them were non-existent. So I'm on like a 3 week wait as I approach Tax Season and barely made it...

Razer decided to send me a Refurbished laptop of the same specs after 3-4 weeks. Fine, I got a new system so everything should be good right? Nope... Camera Freeze both in Skype and in Windows Settings. Contact Razer Support yesterday and I'm told that it's a software bug and that they're working on fixing it but I have to wait until they can patch it appropriately. I mean WTF? What the Serious F? Bios is 1.06 and from the looks of it this is plagued issue across may First Edition Blade 15 Advanced Models.

I'll post an image of my chat because I couldn't believe what I was reading, it's just absurd.. We are talking about a camera here a camera to do video conferencing. At this stage if you can't get that right, why are you even trying to compete or leverage your products against Macbooks? I'm just lost as to why basic functions like this are so hard for them to do. I'm certain others out there will have issues it's just that they won't/don't video conference.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  9. Erase

Reputations:
    That is very strange, because mine works fine. My Razer is pre Windows Hello as well. Long Video-Skype-Sessions are no problem. However, I don't know whether there is a difference between the two models, maybe there is.

10. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On Monday I'll post images of my conversation with Razer Support as they're on my work machine. It's not that the support was bad or anything in fact it's pretty decent now its just that for them to say it's a known issues among this particular model and that nothing can be done until a software patch is released from Engineering is just... Ewwww..