Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. CraftyClown

CraftyClown Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

It's frustrating that Razer call all their installed drivers 'Blade' It makes it extremely difficult to work out what's what and what needs updating.

I've had a few issues with my blade recently and determining whether they are hardware or driver related is proving difficult and frustrating. This adaptive brightness issue seems to be fixed now, but I am still having problems with using custom ICC profiles (They get unloaded and reloaded every time hardware refreshes, drives get connected, disconnected etc) and an ongoing issue with with my touchpad which has sudden acceleration at the end of two finger scroll movements.

2. No0B

No0B Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have that as well. I'd say that one's probably on Microsoft. Potentially it can help to disable all the three and more finger gestures. I can imagine it misregistering inputs because the driver is looking for all kinds of gestures.

Huh. Isn't happening to me. I, of course, see the intrinsic performance degradation of using Windows color management, but I didn't notice any other drawbacks or bugs. Neither on the Blade, nor on the numerous machines I had in the last years. I occasionally do color critical work and WCS was okay.

CraftyClown likes this.
  3. CraftyClown

Reputations:

Good call, I'll try disabling some of the gestures and see if that helps. It's odd because sometimes it works perfectly and then other times it jumps all over the place at the slightest of movements.

Regarding the ICC profile, are you saying you also have a custom one installed and it's not got any issues?

If so are you using Windows to load it, or something like DisplayCAL? I've found issues with both, but it's more pronounced when using DisplayCAL.

4. No0B

No0B Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yup.

Via Windows. Before color critical work I usually recalibrate and just replace the old profile in the Windows color management menus. Worked well enough. It just takes a second (literally) to apply it on startup. But I see the colors change every time I land on the desktop.

EDIT: By the way, I mean I of course don't do critical work on the Blade, since the 144Hz screen only has sRGB support.

CraftyClown likes this.
  5. CraftyClown

Reputations:
    But you are still successfully loading a custom profile on your Blade without occasional flicker/loss of calibration?

I'm curious about how and why you're loading your profile from Windows startup. Does it not stick otherwise?

6. vazr

vazr Newbie

Reputations:
    Did you notice any difference in idle temps and how often the fans spin up when on a light workload?

7. No0B

No0B Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes. Just as on my desktop the colors change once on startup and that's it. Of course when I start an application that likes to take over Windows color management, like Photoshop, the colors change if I have another profile than the one selected in Windows (but that doesn't stick after I close it). That's a little annoying to change every time I recalibrate since Photoshop falls back not to the Windows profile but to a standard sRGB/AdobeRGB profile, but that's nothing Adobe will fix probably.

I just didn't try anything else because I'm a lazy ass. I'm simply living with the slight drop in FPS in games because I can't be bothered to enable/disable the color management every time. It just works without any intervention on my end after I apply it in the color management settings.

8. Assault

Assault Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There are new Bios and EC Firmware updates on Razers driver page for 2019 RTX blades. Anyone know what these address?

9. Assault

Assault Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    edit: nvm clicking download shows the details.
    So the updates both claim to provided stability improvements and fix audible motherboard issue. I can also see that the EC update fixed the 'freezing trackpad at startup' issue i was also facing. Ill have to play a game later and see if the noisy mobo is gone too.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  10. HAMSTERS

HAMSTERS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Did you successfully update the BIOS? The updater stop at 99% forever, never reboot to finish update. I waited more than an hour, but I had to perform forced restart.
    I only have issue with BIOS update.

The EC and IME update worked well.