Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. Goracij

Goracij Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone make an image of CPU cores temps after half an hour of gaming logged with Intel XTU? Interested to see if anyone else has permanent differences in temps for different cores and if so how big they are.
    Recently looked to such a graph and found that 95% of time core 3 has 5-6C higher temperature than the coldest one (+3-4C while idling) and thinking now whether I should repaste it or not - if that's just a core 3 DTS sensor inconsistency (+/- 5C by Intel specification) than I'd leave that as is. Could that be an air bubble in thermal compound?
    [​IMG]

And additional question if anyone can explain why XTU shows the thermal throttling flag while the HWmonitor doesn't? Temperatures aren't that high for cpu to throttle - the maximum core temp according to HWmonitor was 82C. On previous version of XTU cpu was powerthrottling instead...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  2. gearex85

gearex85 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The corner piece cracking is a well reported problem on Razer Blade 15 Advanced model. Whatever plastic material they're using, it simply cannot stand the stress of being constantly heated and cooled. Especially with the metal insert to hold the screw. Design flaw. There's multiple reddit threads and people on this thread complaining about that specific piece cracking.

Basically, all Razer Blade 15 Advanced (2018) has this ticking time bomb that is bound to fail. Although it's not a critical piece for normal operation. IDK about base model.

IDK if they replaced it with a metal piece on RTX blades but I doubt it.

3. hteng

hteng Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They did not fix the problem in the 2019 models, i recall reading a couple of similar problems on r/razer with the RTX models.

4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Idk if it’s only me I don’t have any other system for gaming only the Blade, yes I prefer also metal Anchors but 9 months gaming usage the time bom isn’t exploding yet:bigyes:. I saw with him 2 users reported cracked anchor without opening it, the rest are when they were screwing it in.
    I see, any links about similar issues on rtx model? maybe I missed it or my google search is crap:) I saw mostly coil whine issues on rtx Blade especially 2080, some are windows hello, pretty much similar with last year ac adapter buzzing and not charging while off, their early batch issues, might be addressed per update, not quite sure about coil whine.

5. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is it only me who can’t see your attachment on Spoiler? Anyway it is weird thermal throttling on 82, mine maybe on 95. Cores Temperature differences maybe because unbalanced or uneven paste and vapor chamber, repasting or adding pad may solve that but 5 degrees different isn’t big deal at least to me, I think 1,3 are higher usually due the core position when I’m not wrong (note 2 on HWinfo means core 3). This was half hour or maybe more playing Anthem, I think on ultra 1440p, forgot but from cpu wattage it’s maybe on balanced mode. On idle there’s no huge difference mostly on gaming I noticed the difference.

Attached Files:

6. Goracij

Reputations:
    That may be due to low number of my messages i guess. Here is a link to a google drive with that image of my temp readings. As for throttling, I don't actually see that - sustained stable TB at 3.9GHz, single cores may jump from time to time to 4.1GHz. Forgot to add, this is all for Gaming mode, auto fan settings in Synapse, uVolted at -0.170V for cores and cache, 55W and 70W for turbo boost long (28sec) and short periods. Those 55W and 70W before were the values for which there was almost no power throttling before (below those power throttling stepped in more often). But the behaviour of the processor doesn't change even for default 60 and 80W settings - thermal throttling.
    As for position of cores on a die, I couldn't find how they are counted - by rows or columns (first row 1-3 and second 4-6 or each column is a 1-2, 3-4, and last one 5-6)? But any way 3rd core seems to be somewhere close to the mid of the die and in this case it's either uneven surface of a heat chamber or a dirt/bubble in the compound.
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, thanks for sharing the thermal readings.

7. No0B

No0B Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It's as follows:
    0 2 4
    1 3 5

Interesting. Do you have a 2019 RTX Blade 15, or the 2018 one? By the way, if that -170mV undervolt is rock solid, you got a really good chip dude.

8. Goracij

Reputations:
    I have 2018 GTX 1060 version. Yes, those are solid voltages: system crashes at -0.22V, from that to -0.185V high turbo boost frequencies (x38-41) are not stable enough, +0.01V to be on a safe side and as a result - 82C stable core temp in cpu benchmarks (max core up to 84-85). Cinebench scores are 1180ich on sequence runs for those settings. I am a bit upset though that can't reach for those 1230 points of the first run in the consequent runs though. But fine tuning (neither decrease, nor increase) of the voltage offset don't lead to a persistent highest score results - those are the voltages that give the highest scores system can produce.

As for core 3 temp, I found the reason - it's a game itself which is keeping the load on that particular core. For some reason World of Warcraft occupies core 3 each time. No clue why, but benchmarks do not confirm that core to be the hottest. The thermal throttling is also absent during benchmarks runs. Can it be that Synapse raises max power limit and/or max temp throttling values when detects the common benchmarks (like Samsung with it's smartphones)? The Fire strike called an error that time scale is inconsistent and it can't validate the result (in background were HWmonitor, XTU and Synapse)..

9. Datus

Datus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    All this my Razer is hotter than your Razer, something else for you guys to gander at

10. el3c

el3c Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    with my Blade 15 Advanced and a 1070 mq i get CPU Temps in normal mode by around 86C with -0.145 undervolted, if i set it to gaming mode i stick permanent at 100C with undervolt.Only downlocking brings a bit of benefit, if i set mine to 2.2 Ghz ive get around 80C. 2.2Ghz are enough in the most games to hold 60fps, playing actualy metro exodus on high and i get stable 60fps.

Will do some repaste with Liquid Metal within the next days... i hope that brings lower temps and less fan noise.

But my RB15 is still a very impressive device, the most time i use it as working device. There is no problem to start 3 windows servers and a bunch of linux machines in hyper-v .... damn, i ve never had such a overpowered cpu in any laptop, even compiling isn´t a problem.

with the latest bios i got the C10 state which brings more battery life, the cpu drains only 0-7 - 1.2 watts in idle or simple browsing: https://www.reddit.com/r/razer/comments/9jq0w0/temporary_fix_for_razer_blade_15_high_cpu_idle/

i just want more options to handly my fans, but the EC still encrypted so there is no hope for modding :/