Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. votehart

votehart Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Hi,

Saw your question. I posted these notes on the Razer reddit thread.

Shadow of Tomb Raider's internal benchmark tool results. This is a mainstay for most GPU reviews making it easy to compare.

3440x1440 - All max settings with SMAAx4 - 36fps

3440x1440 - All max setting with SMAA (lowest AA) - 51fps

2560x1440 - All max settings with SMAAx4 - 51fps (not a typo)

2560x1440 - All max settings with SMAA (lowest AA) - 65fps

3440x1440 - 2nd highest preset - SMAA (lowest AA) - hairworks low - 60fps (how I play).

2560x1440 - 2nd highest preset - SMAA (lowest AA) - hairworks low - 76fps

Notes:

* I do not have Synapse 3 installed yet (I think it is Spyware). I am adding it later today with the appropriate firewalls. I will run a couple of benchmarks and if there are changes I will post. I ended up adding S3 with the appropriate firewalls. No change in performance or temps but I do like being able to control the fans and lights.

* CPU temps hovering low 80s with no spikes above 90 (undervolt -120 and power max at 99%) - clock speeds all over the place. Successful with -140. Temps are the same. Probably going to repaste.

* GPU temps low 70s - clock speeds steady between 1350mhz and 1450mhz

* The GPU will hit 1850 in spikes possibly meaning there could be higher stabilized clock speeds with lower temps. This turned out to not be accurate for mine. Fans set at 100% with the laptop completely unabstructed drive both the cpu and GPU below 70 in this benchmark but the GPU will not stay above 1450 for any extended period of time. This card would only take a small 50 MHz clock increase for OC.

* Cortana and other useless MS apps are deleted and "update helpers" from google, origin and others are turned off in Services, I have gone back through and removed another batch of apps to help with battery life.

Battery life is pacing towards 4 hours for regular office use. Not ideal. I’m working with it mobile this week and will be tweaking more until I find the sweet spot. Need to get this thing to 6 hours.

The new Blade RTX 2080m will easily replace my Stealth EGPU Setup with Titan XP. Keep in mind this is the benchmark tool and in game FPS typically are higher for me.

Question for the group. Will 3000mhz or 32gb make a difference in gaming/streaming?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    HeavyUser likes this.
  2. No0B

No0B Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I've looked into the newest Synapse version and sadly the button isn't there. I'd love to only lift the power limit without touching the GPU, because Nvidia Inspector does that for me already.

That's great to hear! :) For now I've rolled back to 1.05 because in 1.06 and 1.07 the CPU wouldn't honor the SpeedShift EPP value in ThrottleStop. So I couldn't force it to stay at 900MHz when the value was set to 255. I'd like the machine to act predictably, so I went back.

3. RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For those who have seen issues with excessive heat on their RB15s I have a suggestion. Game in a 35 to 38 degree cooler and your heat will be a lot lower. ;)

I have been working in a dairy this week in the automated packing area of the dairy. While this may keep thermals under control, working in a cooler just above freezing really isn't my cup of tea. :D

Attached Files:

DrewN likes this.
  4. AlexRiker

AlexRiker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, I know repasting has been discussed a lot previously in this thread, but just wanted to throw in my 2 cents (especially as there have been folks commenting that there's no point in repasting unless you use liquid metal as razer uses 'quality' stuff). I had noted some bad, odd thermals in my razer blade 15 with 1070 max Q recently (even in non-gaming mode hitting 100c in most titles in sustained sessions despite fan at max, -120 mV undervolt, etc).

I repasted today using thermal grizzly kryonaut (also changed the thermal pads) and saw a 15C reduction- went from that 100C cap to 85 max in non-gaming mode. Previously, thermal throttling had made gaming mode irrelevant, now I see 95C in sustained sessions in gaming mode with the CPU clocks holding at 3.9ghz in games (previously down to 2.9 max or even 2.2 often).

So, if your temps are bad, there can still most definitely be gains from repasting (even without using liquid metal).

5. Erase

Erase Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Which pads did you use?

6. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can once and for all someone please confirm me that the conductonaut is not corrosive on the RB15 ?

I can't stop reading contradictory statements. I believe that HIDEvolution is offering a repaste with conductonaut, they wouldn't do it if the heatsink would be corroded, right ? (Plus the 2019 model clearly has a full copper heatsink)

thanks.

7. No0B

No0B Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The vapor chamber is made of copper. Thin copper obviously, as it's hollow. You will of course face pitting and roughening of the surface and the inherent loss of performance after some time, because the copper is not nickel-plated. In extreme cases the thin wall of the vapor chamber may become porous and holes will form that will render the vapor chamber useless. This scenario is very unlikely with a coldplate with welded on heatpipes like in the base model RB15 and Stealth, because the coldplate would be a lot thicker than the vapor chamber's wall.

However you may decide, I wouldn't recommend using liquid metal on a part that has the potential of being in a vertical position while warmed up. Liquid metal doesn't have a lot of surface tension, so you have to be careful to apply just enough and isolate the die(s) with some barriers that will stop it from getting on to components on the motherboard, or apply nail polish or other protective layer.

8. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I already repasted my AW15 with liquid metal : I use 105°C thermal resistant electric isolation tape, and yes of course never put too much or it will spill, however the conductonaut has some way of staying on the die (viscosity ?) Not too worried.

the only thing that was worrying me was the corrosion (but full copper is great still). It's a shame that they don't use nickel plating, it's something standard !

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  9. No0B

No0B Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, realistically speaking, I mean with a good application and enough mounting pressure you can get into the range of 3-6°C from Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut with Kryonaut or Phobya NanoGrease Extreme, at least in this laptop. I personally have the last year's model with the 1070 Max-Q and with my Kryonaut application the temperatures are acceptable at all times. Could certainly go a few degrees lower with liquid metal, but I don't feel that it's worth it considering both the CPU and GPU are running within manufacturer specifications and my own expectations.

The problem here is that while the vapor chamber is really good at conducting heat away from the dies themselves, the transfer of that heat outside of the chassis is pretty limited because the heatsinks on the two sides of the vapor chamber are pretty small. That is to be expected of a thin&light machine such as the RB15, but you hit diminishing returns relatively soon in terms of how well the chips can sink their heat, since the vapor chamber itself will heat up enough to be a considerable factor in achieving better core temperatures.

I noticed this when I replaced the factory thermal paste (my RB15 is from an early batch which came with garbage thermal paste). After applying Kryonaut both the CPU and GPU can sink their heat much more effectively, but the CPU saw a huge improvement. This has negatively impacted GPU temperatures even compared to the garbage factory thermal paste (by 4-5°C under full load), because of course both components are sinking their heat into the same heatsink. But at least the fan speeds came way down simultaneously.

Of course, if you want to get the absolute maximum out of it, there's no way around liquid metal yet. Just be aware that you're hitting diminishing returns quickly because the heatsink is just so small. :) I'm personally keeping liquid metal to my desktop components for the time being.

By the way, congrats to a thousand posts!

10. votehart

votehart Notebook Guru

Reputations:

I'm planning on LM for the CPU and Kryonaut for the GPU. I prefer to use conformal costing over electrical tape and those little pins on the GPU freak me out.