Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    MoBo means motherboard, RTX cards means Artifacts and dead card;). That’s on normal size gpu, can’t imagine it’s shrinking to mobile size and still having RTX name (Ray Tracing core took a lot space on the die), well actually I’m more interested than not believing, on how they shrink it down. And mobile gpu is soldered to motherboard. I’m not seeing a lot issues usb pulled out on a Blade, only stealth recently, maybe I missed it though. I’ve IPad Pro 11, and the usb c port is very tight, not like usb c on my stealth V2 or other devices, sometimes when I pulled it off I’m afraid pulling out it with the part inside it, well I’ve 3 years guarantee hope it’ll be finely covered by it.
    But thanks it’ll be on my attention once I get one.

2. cesc21

cesc21 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Great.

3. RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My base model has no issues with dead pixels on the screen. (knock on wood)

I have no issue with the screen closure. Of course if I hold the RB15 in an inverted position the screen comes slightly ajar but does not open. This is generally an irrelevant position I will ever have my RB15 in.

I also replaced the SSD, HDD and memory and have no issues with case closure. It is as tight as when I received the unit. I would like to find replacement screws though to replace a couple that have some screw slot wear. That's not a Razer issue but with the material of the screws. No big deal here.

I have no issue with the keyboard. Keys are fine and I don't care for number pads because this always offsets the keyboard.

Yes, USB ports are a little stiff. I've had laptops with loose fitting USB and those resulted with a slight bump of the USB media device becoming disconnected causing other issues. I'll take a slightly firm USB port any day. I have not had any issue with damage to the USB port or USB media device.

No issues with power plug or audio jack. Both plug in and disconnect like any machine I have owned in the past.

My thermals have been excellent, nothing more than 43 degrees. Then again, I am not a gamer.

My overall impression is the RB15 base model has performed every bit as I had hoped. My intent was more like a mobile desktop, a light weight laptop with a dedicated GPU that had storage capability that was fast and could run my business software including the offline robot programming software without shuttering or excessive CPU load. The RB15 has been terrific. The fact of the matter is that I probably didn't have to upgrade memory from 16gb to 32gb because I have never exceeded 10gb utilization thus far. Unfortunately I side on maxing out options rather than being frugal on them. If I have over capacity based on usage then so be it. I would rather side on that than the other side of the coin.

Arondel likes this.
  4. Assault

Assault Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My blade is on its way to Razer for warranty, the fan noise was driving me nuts. Light loads, low rpm noise that sounds choppy. Thoroughly cleaned the fans out alerady, removed and all. Heres a Google Drive link to listen, its hard to pick up with my phone so turn the volume up max.
    Hope this doesnt take forever. I miss it already. T_T

5. X33nbat

X33nbat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    "Betty" is the Razer internal project name for the 14/15" Blade. I've heard that projects are named after the CEO's girlfriends. The name Betty appears on the battery label because the battery manufacturer is referring to the Razer project name since the battery housing is custom for Razer. I don't know who is actually supplying the battery.

Foxconn does not make the notebooks, but they do make the phone. The first two years of the 17" model (now called the Pro) were made by Gigabyte in Taiwan, but then was switched to BYD (Build Your Dreams) in Shenzhen along with the Blade 14/15" and the Stealth. You can tell by looking at the serial number which will start with "BY", or "GB" for the early 17" models. The Razer Edge tablet was made by Quanta in Taiwan.

A couple years ago, the design team was shifted from San Francisco to Taiwan, but most of the engineering as well as the quality and reliability testing has always been done by the manufacturer, BYD.

Joikansai and Donald@zTecpc like this.
  6. Donald@zTecpc

Donald@zTecpc Company Representative

Reputations:
    Nice history...thank you!

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  7. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That’s great to know! Is it the ceo’s Girlfriends, how playboy is he, he has wife and kids:rolleyes: He mentioned btw long time ago in his Facebook that they named after the ex of the person that came up with the idea of each project, Fiona, Valerie, Christine etc.
    Yes Betty seemly one of those project for the Blade battery, and quanta made Razer Edge, it states on initial in front of serial number “QG”. But did you mean Foxconn not making “Blade” laptops? Or overall? Because they made laptops for HP, and by the phone did you mean they make Razer phone?

8. X33nbat

X33nbat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Someone else referred to a thread that stated Razer notebooks are made by Foxconn. This is not correct, but Foxconn does make Razer's phones.
    I would hope that the CEO has run out of girlfriends to name things after.... but who knows?

9. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was curious because you mentioned also Gigabyte made Razer Laptops, which is literally competitor from Aorus laptops and Aero 14 back then. About Foxconn, It’s not only mentioned here it’s also mentioned by other person in Razer Insider before, couldn’t find that thread though since it was quite long ago, but I found the article about CEO FB comment that mentioned it’s not CEO girlfriends :bigwink:, in here.

10. paradigm

paradigm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well I am out of this exclusive club.....reluctantly.

I loved the 15 (original/advanced) but the battery would not play ball, asked razer for some kind of patch, but they said they didn’t have one. After the ongoing errors of synapse 3 and the battery issue, I kind of gave up and elected to return for a refund to my supplier. In razer’s defence they said we can look into the rig but as far as battery issues go “it was working within its specifications (I.e 3 and a bit hours) (PS this was a statement that came before the iPad BENDGATE response) and that had me miffed, enough to stop dealing with razer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk