Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I believe with that cpu max processors state, it’ll be quite and cool. Good if that feed your needs.
    Through windows monitor setting as well, or just Synapse? Synapse is quite often buggy, when you use Synapse all installer from Razer website, it won’t even show any option in right area like refresh rate etc on performance tab, if you stay on original without updating.
    Dont hesitate RMA it if you found even small issues, that’s to me one key to get a great Blade. Late 2016 can’t pass my QC, I rejected 2 times till get perfect one...early 2017 one;) (in middle of RMA process 2017 that address the issue was announced)

2. djcgeez2189

djcgeez2189 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay here i am back again with my final review part 3. Recently i sold my Razer blade to get the Zephyrus M Because I felt the spec sheet fit more what i was looking for and the reviews seemed to support how I felt so I posted my Razer blade and sold it within a week for a great deal.

TL;DR it was a mistake..... Opening with the TL;DR because this will be a long one, anyone who is in the market for a gaming laptop you will want to read this as I have guinea pigged alot of machines...

So in the past 4 months i have tried 6 different gaming laptops trying to find which would be the best fit for me for me. Price was not a issue I really just wanted the best laptop that coould play games, Handle my work tasks, both in performance and battery and just be awesome while its doing it.

So I started with the blade 15 1070m model then got the
    Zephyrus GX501 1080m 2018 model
    MSI GS52 Stealth Thin 1070m model
    Alienware 17 r5 gtx 1070 120hz Gsync
    Zephyrus M 1070 144hz Gsync
    Razer blade pro 2017 model 7820hk gtx 1080

And after trying all those machines I found myself coming back to the Razer blade twice. It just works better than all of those machines.... It has the best keyboard, Screen, overall performance, Temps and battery life of all the machines I have tested.

The gx501 was powerful and thin but has a small 55w battery so only getting around 2.3 - 3 hours battery life and just gets too hot. Also has pretty bad speakers, Audio was muffled and no matter how i tweaked it was just not good for gaming. Music and movies were punchy and okay but gaming sucked. Everything sounded "off" and was not the most comfortable to use with the forward keyboard design. Also the 8750 power throttles in that machine just like the Razer blade.

The MSI is the most similar footprint to the blade same specs, but does not use a NVME drive it uses a m.2 drive so its pretty slow and getting in requires completely removing the mother board. Also the Graphics card would also power throttle and it comes with a 180w brick which is smaller then all other laptops of its class so that may be the issue. I was also getting higher temps and a consistent 5-8 fps lower in all games compared to the razer blade. That performance drop was reason enough to return it. the MSI also comes with alot of Applications and factory blat ware that is always running in the back ground wasting resources. It got about 30 minutes more battery life on occasion but I had to constantly restart the machine because the Audio app that controls the sound would spike 80% cpu usage and tank the system randomly and often.

The Alienware was easily the best performer. When it comes to temps and performance there was nothing that can compete with that machine. With no under-volt or CPU adjustments it would run at full 45w 3.8 ghz in games that would make the other laptops tank and never go above 80c the surface was always cool and i could over clock the 1070 to +215/ +500 and it wouldn't break a sweat. everything would run in the full 120hz on the 1440p panel but thats where the goodness ends. The software is awful it uses Synaptics drivers that would always crash and make gestures stop like 2 finger scroll, and the panel is TN so horrible colors and horrible viewing angles. The screen was pure trash, Like the MSI the Alienware requires alot of background apps to work and also comes with alot of factory bloat ware. Surprisingly it also uses a ton of power. On better battery option with 50% brightness and balanced Nvidia settings i was getting 3.5 hours on a 99w battery. Thats terrible it should be in the 4.5 ish area with that battery. I got better battery life out of the Razer blade Pro and that has a power hungry 7820hk and full gtx 1080 So something is wrong in the EC of the Alienware that makes it use too much power for basic tasks like Word and YouTube,another side note the Alienware is also difficult to re-paste because the mother board is upside down so you have to remove the entire board to re-paste, And is much more difficult than other machines because the DC in plug is very close to the heat sink fan so re attaching it without bending pins is difficult, (Speaking from Experience lol )

Which brought me to the Zephyrus M. On paper this is a dream machine. Gsync = Check, Full 1070 = Check, Good Screen and high refresh rate = Check. However that's where it ends with that guy too. The ability to switch between Gsync and Optimus is genius and every laptop should have this feature. However because of the useless 2.5 drive it has the smallest battery in a 15" laptop all Zephyrus models come with the 55w batter from the new S all the way to the GX 501 and its the Achilles heel. Even on optimus mode I was only getting 3-3.5 hours of battery doing nothing but word... It pretty sad Also the fan curve with all updates applied is "off". The fans would run constantly even when i wasn't doing anything and loud enough to be noticeable and the temps were bad too sitting idle in the mid 50's even with a under volted and CPU clocks locked to 35 ghz it they would run constantly. Also the power brick would not deliver enough power to the system. It would constantly drain power even when plugged in and all i would be doing is downloading games or working on a power point presentation. That's odd to me so I exchanged it for another machine and had the same problem. So there is something wrong with the power delivery of that machine as well. Mix in the bad speakers and jet engine fans ( the loudest fans of any gaming laptop i ever used even on balanced mode) and it was just not a good experience. The power draining issue alone should be enough reason for most people to pass. Which is a shame because on paper and in reviews it looks like it should be the gaming laptop to get. But its just not there yet.

And last but not least the Mighty Razer blade pro. The laptop of all laptops so I thought. I was able to get one brand new for $2400 because of a best buy system error so I jumped on it faster than any dirty analogy you can come up with for something being jumped on. I7 7820hk model with 32gb ram 2x 1tb ssd in raid 0 full gtx 1080 4k screen with Gsync and a large 99w battery I was a kid at christmas when it came in. Personally I love mechanical keyboards and Had no issues with the pro keyboard I really liked it and the track pad is huge and feels great to use. Speakers are great and there are some work around to get Atmos drivers working on it so they sounded great. Battery life was amazing for what it was. I was getting 4- 4.5 hours on 65 % brightness and better battery option so I was able to lug it around to coffee shops and such and be able to work and play music and the battery would chug along. but as a gaming laptop its terrible. One of Razers worst. It gets unbearably hot. Hotter than any machine Razer had made. The battery being right under the keyboard with no mouse pad makes the entire wrist zone really hot when charging and when you're gaming the surface temperature of the entire bottom case is uncomfortable to the touch. I re-pasted with liquid metal and the temps where great but awful to the touch. The screen is also awful for games. I had to go buy a Spider 3 calibrator because the screen was more saturated than any Samsung phone I have ever seen it was bad. The response times are some of the worst too. With gsync and the 1080 you can play alot of games at 4k 60fps and it will be rock solid performance but the screen is so slow and the G2G is so low the ghosting is headache inducing and you will not be able to game on it long. Maybe im too used to fast refresh rates I don't know but it was really jarring for me and a huge deal breaker. The Pro also uses Killer WiFi which is my personal Achilles heel I Have never in my life as a gamer had success with Killer in my systems. Its is consistently slower than the Intel chip and always has compatibility issues. it would not detect my home gigabit WiFi or my moms last gen Verizon 2.4 WiFi either so I had to change the Wifi chip just to set the machine up. The Pro is not a laptop for gaming.

So that's my experience that I went through with my machines I wanted to share it with you guys here in case anyone comes here looking for what they should buy and are considering the Razer blade 15. I would without a doubt say the 15 is the best gaming laptop on the market right now. It Feels great to be back on one, and I missed not having it when I was trying other laptops. The 6-7 hours of battery is tops in it class, I can go a full workday without needing a charge. The speakers are good Gaming performance and WiFi performance are top notch in its class and of every 15" gaming laptop on the market the Razer blade runs the best temps and has the coolest surface area of all the other systems I have tested. What Razer has done with this machine deserves an award.

Thanks for reading and hoped this helps some people out and if you have any questions about the machines i was testing feel free to reply!

Goracij, evilras and Darkhan like this.
  3. djcgeez2189

Reputations:
    just download throttle stop and set the 6 core clock to 35 or 36 and it wil stick around high 75-82c no need t under volt

evilras likes this.
  4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great price for blade pro, but you made right decision, I think it is bad engineered. 250 Watt ac Adapter won’t run well full gtx1080. The machine runs also loud and hot due seemly bad thermal design. Graphic performance may be better than blade 15 1070maxq, but thanks to new cpu I think I get better overall performance when I checked last time blade pro owner lounge. About power limit throttle you claimed before, seemly Alienware m15 thin light one, doing similar thing from review I saw recently, so maybe 8750 need a bigger cassis and cooling room to cool it down on full performance. I can get 45 watt full performance but I don’t want to see my cpu staying long on 90ish, and I don’t like personally limiting cores clock:mad2:, on balanced mode it reach 3,9 quite often. I can get btw 60fps quite stable on 1440p SoTR by lowering some setting to high and turn off AA, I didn’t notice huge differences between high and highest.

5. Mattsin

Mattsin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Through everything. There is no Synapse or windows setting that will allow us BOE panel users to switch to 60hz. We either have to disable the driver in Device Manager then it defaults to 60hz, use Custom Resolution Utility to make a custom 60hz profile, or run Linux in which case you can set it to whatever refresh rate you want.

Here's a post I started on Reddit to track the issue, defiantly not isolated. Some users, including myself, actually had the 60hz option in the beginning. Razer has yet to comment on the post, even though users keep reporting to it and the BOE panel issue becomes more obvious.

https://www.reddit.com/r/razer/comments/9xlw59/calling_all_blade_15_144hz_boe_panel_users/

6. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you could do that at first time, it may some software compatibility issue, it may take sometime to address it imo from my past experience with addressesing issues that didn’t effect all models, remember even bios update for fans issues on late 2016 took so long. Anyway I think BOE Panel doesn’t have Backlight Bleed like LG, does it?
    I’ll check on my local store as I want also go there for buying something, and I think it’s new BOE model since it recently displayed.

7. djcgeez2189

Reputations:
    Damn that's a ****ty issue and a surprising one. How to tell if it's a BOE Panel because purchased the advanced model and I have the option to switch in both the igpu panel and synapse

8. Xenrail

Xenrail Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    rb6freak likes this.
  9. Datus

Datus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For those interested in learning about MSI Afterburner and using it with the Razer Blade 15 I have just started a series of uploads for it.
    Part #1: Introduction has just been launched. Enjoy.

10. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes it’s plastic anchors, idk why but should seemly metal. It’s been half year owning it btw, it’s not melted yet;). Some users who after repasting it screwed that too hard, seemly broke it. I didn’t reach cpu yet only simple SSD upgrade but can’t say it’s not durable, to me it looks fine. Playing Ubisoft games mostly I use max fans rpm and it isn’t in cool area at all sometimes high 80ish mostly 2 hours gaming session or more and that anchors area felt also not cool at all. Like display cable across vapor chamber I think it use heat durable material and won’t easily melting. Heard that made me scary unscrewing it though;)