Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. HAMSTERS

HAMSTERS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just be aware that the recent Blade 15 advanced model may come with a BOE panel instead of LG.

The BOE panel does use PWM backlight control that causes flickering if brightness below 99%.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Mattsin

Mattsin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The BOE panel also doesn't allow the switching from 144hz to 60hz via synapse either.

3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I'm sorry that's just sloppy on razer's part, they can't even make sure their hardware and software talk to each other properly.

Darkhan likes this.
  4. hteng

hteng Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    speaking of problems, anyone that is on Windows 10 Build 1803 and are having problems with their internal microphone?

In the device manager, under events I get a event saying

"Device SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.1.00000000}.{701953c3-8e97-4a96-9498-8453c2f2223f} was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match."

and my mic is no longer working, even after i've set the correct privacy settings.

Unfortunately i'm unable to rollback to the previous windows build, somehow the OS has deleted the windows.old folder, not even a month after i upgraded to 1803, that was odd.

also, there are no realtek drivers on razer's support page.

5. evilras

evilras Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just checked and my mic is still working.

Also my monitor drivers show DISPLAY\LGD05C0. So i'm assuming thats the LG model not the BOE one then. As i can switch between 60/144. though honestly my eyes cant tell the difference.

6. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, my work for a quiet and cool RB15 with nVidia 1070:

BIOS 1.06 and EC 1.03
    Throttlestop CPU -0.140, Cache -0.125, all the rest (iGPU etc) -0.065
    C-State: C10
    Max Speed 1 Core: 3,5 GHz, 6 Cores 3,0 GHz (the rest in between)
    Set Windows Balance Mode min CPU Speed to 0%, max CPU Speed to 50%, quiet cooling.
    No repaste!

If I use Windows Balance mode, I can use Office 2o19, Firefox, DAZN, Netflix without any Fans are working! Temperatures are between 42 to 46 degree ... and CPU uses 0.7 to 1.3 Watt! In Balance Mode, the CPU takes under full load 7,3 Watt.

After one hour Hitman 2 or GTA 5 on Maximum Power mode, the fans (on auto) are very quiet and CPU stays at 65 degree ... it is really impressive!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Arondel likes this.
  7. evilras

Reputations:
  8. evilras

Reputations:
    Wow! I did 3 hours of wolfenstein 2 at the weekend and the CPU hit a max of 100C and the GPU 91C! Thats all at stock!

I only game maybe 1 day a week, so not massively worried, but might have to look into undervolting!

9. hteng

hteng Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    that is for the realtek app only, it does not contain the drivers.

I think it's a hardware fault at this point, I've rollback to a previous window build (factory SSD) and the mic is still not working. Damn that's really disappointing in an otherwise very good laptop. I hate to want to RMA it but i guess there's no other way.

10. No0B

No0B Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The only issue I have with the microphone is that it's extremely quiet when the Realtek driver is installed. With the generic Microsoft driver it works just fine.

Yup, but there's also no need for Razer to host a driver, because they didn't make any modifications to it like Asus and some others do. You can simply get the driver via Windows Update, or get any generic one from the web. The audio IC in the Blade is nothing special, so recent drivers you get from the web should be fine.

Really, if you are absolutely in on microoptimizing it, it would be worth more to enable SpeedShift in ThrottleStop and use the SpeedShift value to underclock the CPU than to do it via software in Windows. It's just more efficient and quicker to adjust and automate that way (via ThrottleStop profiles).