Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. JediTreasley

JediTreasley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, recently bought the Base model for 1300$ down due to a sweet gift card/egg points I had at newegg. I plan on slapping in a WD 500gb black NVME drive in there as well as a 2tb ssd. I got the 500gb for 80$ on BF and the 2tb ssd for 130$. I'm pretty excited.

Originally I was going to go with an Alienware m15, but after some major issues with Dell and then playing around with my buddy's, I decided it's a major no go.

Question I have, is there anything crazy I need to know now before I take the bottom lid off, replace, and start fresh installing windows? I've been building computers for damn near 20 years, and fix MacBooks and iPhones as a hobby, but you guys all have the experience with this machine so wanted to know any crazy or weird things that may slow me down? Thanks

2. evilras

evilras Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just save all the drivers on a usb stick ready for the SSD swap. Saved me a ton of time downloading them at work. And be careful with the screws! I shredded the threads of the SSD screw. Always start with a bigger screwdriver than you think you'll need and work back. And unless you spent £1k on that 2tb SSD remember it'll be a slower sata not nvme. So boot times will be longer.

3. JediTreasley

Reputations:
    Good call. Yea for the OS I got the 500gb WD Black nvme SSD @ 3400 read and 2500 write. And the normal slow 500 MB/s 2tb SSD. Been buying exclusively Samsung nvme drives since 2016 but these WD look super nice and a decent competitor.

4. No0B

No0B Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just be careful with the two screws in the corners on the display hinge side of the device. The metal posts that the screws go in are seated in soft plastic that easily breaks.

Aside from that there should be nothing weird going on with the hardware. Having an advanced model myself, as far as I understand the advanced and the base model have almost no differences in motherboard layout, so I'd say there's nothing surprising awaiting you there.

Software-wise Synapse is the bane of the Blade's existence. It's so quirky and unreliable that I uninstalled it which forces me to live with the default hue shift keyboard backlighting effect, but I'm somehow dealing with it. But hey, at least it can't limit the CPU power ceiling to something lower than Intel specifies when it's not installed.
    Razer don't provide downloadable drivers specifically for the base model yet. You should know how to deal with missing drivers though, just get some from the advanced model and download newer versions for graphics, iGPU, Bluetooth/WiFi and LAN from respective sources. Let Windows get sound drivers from Windows Update (which I'd under no other circumstance even remotely consider to be the way to go, but here we are).
    I imagine you having some experience with overclocking and maybe undervolting. To squeeze out a bit more performance it is advisable to undervolt the CPU. Don't even think of having BIOS options for that, you'll need to use ThrottleStop or Intel XTU (better set up a task to launch ThrottleStop at startup, it's more reliable).

And basically that's it.

JediTreasley likes this.
  5. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Congrats of the deal! Hope to see your review/impressions on the Base Model since there hasn't been a lot of coverage about it!

JediTreasley likes this.
  6. hteng

hteng Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    this, I'm glad I'm not the only person experiencing this problem with the screws, the threaded insert (upper left hand corner) on my brand new RB15 literally popped out the first time i opened it, I was unable to secure the inserts back to the plastic slot anymore so I had to resort to using some epoxy glue and stick the insert back into the slot, luckily it fits nicely and I don't have any problems with the backplate so far.

This is definitely a design flaw, the plastic is just too weak to withstand the forces of screwing into the inserts, it's silly because the other screw holes are on the frame itself, just these 2 corners are on plastic slots.

JediTreasley likes this.
  7. urban_woodsman

urban_woodsman Newbie

Reputations:
    I have been putting my RB15 1070 through its paces and wanted to see what you guys thought of my temps. Playing GTA V it seemed mid 80's was the average, with recorded maximums of 90 (deg C). This is with -125mv on cache/core and turbo limit on 3.6GHz. Is this acceptable? I don,t have much experience with this sort of thing so any advice is appreciated.

I obviously could look to repaste/ further optimise with software. However I wanted to know where I currently stand on thermal performance. Also, idle is about 50 deg C.

8. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Pretty similar with mine, 1070 FHD bought in June. So far there’s nothing wrong, though I didn’t limit the turbo on 3.6, only simple undervolting-130mV through xtu with still default thermal paste. All my long session games never showed Average above 90ish always on 80ish, it depends the title the worst one is AC Odyssey with average high 80ish with synapse balanced and 5000 max fans rpm, but it’s expected since I play it on high setting ultrawide 1440p res in surround mode 2 monitors. Idle is also similar 50 mostly sometimes 40ish and with downloading and watching movies while browsing may hit 60ish.

9. Kelgath

Kelgath Newbie

Reputations:
    1060 or 1070?

I am thinking about buying one of these but I am not sure which GPU. Usually, I would go just for the stronger one but the review on notebookcheck mentions that thermals, noise and battery life is noticeably better with the 1060 version which more important to me. Has anyone experience with both versions?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer-Blade-15-i7-8750H-GTX-1070-Max-Q-FHD-Laptop-Review.305426.0.html
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer-Blade-15-i7-8750H-GTX-1060-Max-Q-FHD-Laptop-Review.314146.0.html

10. JediTreasley

Reputations:
    Personally I went with the base model because of the Notebookcheck review, and a few other youtubers who compared the 1060 vs the 1070 max q's. Most people leaned towards the 1060 because it had a more consistent higher clock, less throttling, and better noise. AND I wanted the option to put a 2tb ssd in the 2nd storage spot. Also didn't need 144hz screen. and getting it for less than $1400 was too good to pass up.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer...0H-GTX-1060-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.343591.0.html

Arondel likes this.