Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 128gb ssd is SATA while the 256gb ssd is NVME. That could explain the performance difference. Certainly something to consider I didn't think of. If the SATA is slow, I wonder what fast really is. The SATA m.2 on my machine seems pretty fast for how I use the machine.

Arondel likes this.
  2. evilras

evilras Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Image from iOS (1).jpg

My current black Friday haul, just needs the laptop now! The skin looks nice! Got the top and bottom in red dragon skin.

Darkhan likes this.
  3. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice, any update from Amazon as to when your laptop will arrive?

4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you try nvme you’ll be surprised:D

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Not really, for day to day usage unless you are copying huge files or using it for video/photo production scratchdisk, there is no perceptible difference compared to a good SATA 3 SSD like 860 evo or 860 pro, even crucial mx500

Always opt for bigger storage over NVMe “speed” (read: double the power consumption and heat...) unless you know you will be doing extended heavy IO work.

Vistar Shook, saturnotaku and Papusan like this.
  6. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Even game loading time, you’ll notice it n open world games, like FFXV, AC Odyssey. I’ve 860evo (idk pro) and 970Evo on different system it’s quite noticeable. 500mb vs 3gb is huge.

7. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I don’t think I would call a 3 second difference “huge”

FFXIV load times compared:
    http://www.legitreviews.com/game-load-time-benchmarking-shootout-six-ssds-one-hdd_204468

Between 850 evo and 960 Pro, 3 seconds, but the price for a 1TB 860 evo is less than that for a 512gb 970 Pro

Not worth it unless you are really counting seconds....while doubling your precious power consumption that could be feeding your GPU or CPU. again NVMe only makes sense for photo or video people with extended high IO load.

8. evilras

evilras Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In theory tomorrow. Still waiting for the app to show the laptop as dispatched.. But Amazon really have messed this up! Now the extended warranty has issues as they didn't refund it so I thought I could transfer it. But nope! Has to be bought on the same day as the laptop. FML...

Anyone used protect my bubble? Might need to find a 3rd party warranty.

9. guregu

guregu Newbie

Reputations:
    That's what you would think.... I called Razer support yesterday to see if they could help more than the live chat rep that I talked to over the weekend. They said RazerCare can only be purchased concurrently with a Blade laptop. It is really too bad that they won't do the right thing and take my $250. I am sure many other customers would purchase the extended warranty for their Blade 15 laptops.

I am debating selling my current month old Blade 15 so I can buy a new one with the warranty. I just feel like it's not worth the hassle at this point since I am happy with the machine. I just worry something will crap out on it once the 1 year limited warranty is up and I will be out of luck.

10. Datus

Datus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There is a lot on the web about stuttering after windows goes to sleep.
    Check those out see if it helps.
    One chap went into the bios and selected default settings - try that.

Loading a game I can see your point its when you play games that load new areas you really notice the difference.

Glad I went via Razer, but what is your main concern for a warranty, if it dies or you break it. Household insurance covers some of these.
    Also the build quality is a lot better than Razer used to be, think its why they took a while to offer the 2nd year option, wanted to see how the last 4-5 months on new build returns went.
    They aint money daft that's for sure.

Kyle Shirley and Joikansai like this.