Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would agree to disagree with Linus with regard to the RB15 base model being not a great value to those of us not looking to game this machine. The Dell XPS 15 he recommended over the RB15 base model lacks the ports that the RB15 base model has. There is a step back in graphics capabilities for the XPS 15 as well. Another plus of the RB15 is the dual storage (m.2 and hdd) that allows outstanding upgradability. Why he chose to review the 256gb m.2/2tb hdd version instead of the 128gb m.2/1tb hdd version is beyond me. Maybe reviewing the mininalistic base model would show better value for those looking for a value machine. However, for those of us who aren't the serious gaming types, the $300 difference the 1tb hdd can be replaced with at least a 2tb ssd or pretty close to a 4tb ssd. That's a huge benefit for those of who value a really good gpu and storage/memory upgradability.

As for gaming, if I were a serious gaming enthusiast I would definitely go with a GTX 1070 Max-Q offered in the advanced models over the GTX 1060 Max-Q of the base model and would upgrade the m.2 ssd to a 2tb ssd.

Arondel likes this.
  2. xXHeadyXx

xXHeadyXx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i guess everyone will agree :p we demand Pictures when the skin is applied :p i am currently rocking the blade 15 with a black matt skin for the bottom, and a zebrawood top skin :p

evilras likes this.
  3. HAMSTERS

HAMSTERS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No0B likes this.
  4. HAMSTERS

HAMSTERS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Here is the update log:

System Support
    For EC updates it fixes battery not charging when System Shutdown and Lid Closed.

For BIOS update it fixes issue with Razer Chroma Laptop Stand intermittently disconnecting and reconnecting and
    updated to Enhance Battery Charging

5. No0B

No0B Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I mean there's nothing to distrust. Both links are genuine. Thanks for getting these! :)

EDIT: Just installed both of these and noticed that Razer now let the CPU into deeper C-States by default. Even after restoring all defaults ThrottleStop now shows a package C-State limit of C10.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  6. Kyle Shirley

Kyle Shirley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The fans don't come on max, I generally play on balanced mode because it's much quieter and I don't notice a huge difference on gaming mode. I'm on balanced on windows as well.

7. evilras

evilras Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Interestingly did you see the difference between the 128gb and the 256gb cards in the razer base? I think the 128gb is slower?

8. Kyle Shirley

Reputations:

9. Kyle Shirley

Reputations:
    No I'm using the Razers monitor. I can fix the problem by restarting though, but the next time I get on to play after it's been sleeping it'll stutter again.

10. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I’ve undervolted and uninstalled a lot of services/startups and it’s doing much better now.

My only complaints I guess are the keyboard - I don’t use the right shift but I do mis-click the arrow keys.

The lack of function/secondary icons on the keyboard also bothers me more than I thought it would!