Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. Dan D.

Dan D. Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was under the impression that the 1070 doesn't throttle until 84c. I have yet to notice any decreases in performance with the 1070 / 8750h, even after long gaming sessions. Unless I'm playing a brand new, AAA, likely unoptimized title like Black ops 4 or BFV on gaming mode, my temps stay under 91C cpu and 84c GPU. In gaming mode they'll max out at high 90s for the CPU, and 85c for GPU. Never hit 100c on the CPU yet though. My first blade would hit 100c consistently.

Anyway, I know at 84c the 1070 throttles. The performance barely dips, but if you pay attention you'll see the clocks go down. That is why 84c is my max GPU temp 99% of the time. It hits the threshold and throttles back to decrease the temps and / or maintain it. Like I said, only in gaming mode with a brand new title, fully maxed out, I've broken 84c and hit a high of 85c or 86c. I have yet to undervolt the GPU yet either.

2. evilras

evilras Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So Amazon messed up and have lost my blade laptop... :(

3. Kyle Shirley

Kyle Shirley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys i'm wondering if you could help me. I frequently experience stuttering ever second or so when I'm playing games. Anyone know what may be causing this and how I can fix the problem? I'm on the Blade 15 1070 maxq and I'll attach some game play footage so you can see what I mean.

4. Datus

Datus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info.
    Done some more digging, the gfx test I have been doing is the MSI Kombuster.
    if I launch it manually and select 1280x720 it runs 220 FPS 97% cpu load and 1200mhz this runs without artefact checking
    If I launch it via msi burner which runs it at 1280x720 it runs 172 FPS 74% cpu load and 1250mhz this run WITH artefact checking.
    Think I will do 3D benchmark.

5. Datus

Reputations:
    That aint right at all. It looks like somethings is interfering with it rather than the RAZER. Did u install a third part AV etc? or running Defender.

6. Kyle Shirley

Kyle Shirley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm just running Defender. No third party AV.

7. Datus

Reputations:
    That's the way I run it.
    Do the fans come on max?
    I would also run task manager in background with opening resource monitor from that to see the graphs.
    Check what the machine is doing before you run it as well.
    Also fyi in case u are unaware windows and razer set the laptop for balanced mode.
    Again that probably isn't the cause and most people only notice when doing benchmarks.

Have u fully patched windows as that could be whirling in the background scanning your system for updates.
    Its a pain, hope I helped if you have not already done above.

8. No0B

No0B Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Here's a graph showing GPU Boost 3.0 behavior in dependency on core temperature on a desktop GTX 1080: https://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/images/clock_analysis2.jpg. The frequency curve will of course be different for the 1070 Max-Q, but the temperature points are likely very similar or even the same. In the best case scenario you'd keep the core at under 50°C, but if you can't then staying under 84°C will at least yield acceptable clock speeds.

I observed this when I tried out DOOM (2016) to see if the 1070 Max-Q would be able to get somewhere near the 144Hz refresh rate on acceptable graphics settings. Could be anything else for you of course, for me it turned out that the stuttering came from a CPU bottleneck because it was power limited (set to balanced mode in Synapse as it was before I did the repaste, so 35W power limit) and couldn't sustain high enough clocks to feed the GPU with enough draw calls. Giving the CPU more power budget (in Gaming mode in Synapse, 45W power limit) let the CPU hold a 3.7-3.8GHz clock which was much better. After the repaste and further undervolting it will hold about 4GHz which was enough to make the stutter disappear.

9. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is it with v sync on?
    Why are you running 720p? Well I just played AC Odyssey and SoTR on 1440p on 1070maxq, gpu memory on balanced mode is around 1540mHz and gaming mode 1650, there’re no bottleneck since gpu running all the time between 90 to 99% mostly.
    This.
    Balanced mode may cause in game micro stuttering due limited 35watt tdp, on the open world games i mentioned above maybe less noticeable as shooting high FPS titles since my external monitor is also limited to 60Hz. Monitor and setting like in game v sync or g/free sync may reduce or clean it, that’s why i ordered g sync wqhd on Black Friday:vbthumbsup:

10. Nmogas

Nmogas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you using an external monitor?

I have shutter (without any frame drop though but the game just isn't smooth) when plugging the monitor to miniDP after getting in Windows. The solution for me is to restart the laptop, with the mDP already connected and it's all good after.