Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh haha, I don’t think starting times matter as all it is loading is a menu and initialisation some stuff. It’s in game loading performance I was taking about, loading game assets etc between areas, stages, maps and so fourth. That is where SSD makes huuuuuge difference.

2. shawnbeonkey

shawnbeonkey Newbie

Reputations:
    A little bummed the "base model" doesn't have a 1070/vapor chamber option! Would love an ethernet port the thickness seems negligible, and per-key Chroma lighting is more or less unnecessary for me. But I don't want to have to settle for the 1060... Ah well.
    Sorry, but it's truly not as simple as you're making it out to be. It's not enough for the LEDs to be bright, you have to distribute the light across the face of the key evenly. It's absolutely not "a design choice they made for some reason", and the secondary lighting on the base model Razer Blade 15s that got announced last night with the single-zone Chroma demonstrates this. They're not restricting secondary lighting to the cheapest models "just because", the cheaper model has a different implementation of Chroma that is already using fewer LEDs and a distribution mechanism to keep that light even.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 6:11 PM
  3. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Love the design of the new Blade 15, but I wish they offered an option with the i5-8300h.

From what I've seen from various reviews of the 15" thin gaming laptops, none of them can properly cool the 8750h so the noise readings went up to 50 dBA in games.

I'd rather have a quad CPU and a stronger GPU with less noise (or at least not thermally throttled GPU at above 70 degrees C like the notebookcheck review of the Blade 15 seems to indicate).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 5:04 AM
  4. Zuuk

Zuuk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    On the fence on buying the 1060 model, but now they announced the "base model" version of the RB 15 with 2,5" drive slot and a LAN port. You don't get the 144hz screen option and the cooling is a heat pipe version instead of the vapor chamber.

Sounds interesting, a budget model that seems like a better deal with the 1699$ price tag, Razer seems to be stepping it up with catering to wider audience this time around.

https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 5:20 AM
    Joikansai likes this.
  5. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What sounds more interesting is the Mercury White Razer Blade :) I'll be picking one up for Christmas or Thanksgiving.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 8:46 AM
  6. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Damn, do you have money three;) When I’m not wrong you gave also the Blade 15 1070 to your relatives or brother before?
    It’s not thermal throttle, power limit throttle, seems set somehow on ec firmware, it throttle even on low 60ish when I’m not wrong when I tested it, so no thermal related things. Having 8300H isn’t an upgrade for users who had 7700HQ before. 8750H temperature is similar with 7700HQ as long you don’t OC the gpu (gaming mode) on demanding games.
    I think if I play soccer which I do every week with my hand I can play mmo game;) Our conversation is out of track, we were talking about HDD on Blade 15 base right:rolleyes: So maybe if users don’t play path of exile like you, it won’t be a matter having games installed on its HDD, and it’s not usb 3.1 speed I believe on MoBo, so for my games like FFXV, SoTR, Assassin Creed franchise that took like around 50gb or more it should be also fine putting it on HDD, btw I completed AC Origins with its all DLC:cool: Loading time is similar under 30 seconds.

7. childprotectorofthenight

childprotectorofthenight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  8. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I heard that rumor, but usually nvidia release first mid range gpu before mobile gpu, and even now at this point not all high end rtx out and 2080ti has stock issues. So maybe Turing mobile will take sometimes. Ray Tracing core seems draw more power so there’s also rumor that mid range Turing won’t be named with rtx for missing this feature, but let’s see what happens, damn even almost a month I still can’t use rtx on off with my Turing card.

9. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  10. TheCloudX

TheCloudX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone with the 60hz panel have any regrets? The new "base" model seems perfect for my needs. From what I understand they are using the same 60hz panel from before. 100%srgb, which I suspect is closer to mid 90s. I haven't found much if anything on these panels, especially on brightness. I've had poor IPS panels in laptops before and it drives me nuts (Dell G7 LG panel and countless old school TN panels from years ago).

That said, my main monitor is a LG 27MP59G-P (1080p IPS, 75hz) so nothing special but looks good. I used to main a ASUS PB278Q, but after 3 RMA's I went with the LG as a quick replacement and stuck with it.

The base just makes the most sense for me. I already have a spare m.2 sata drive and 2.5" 1tb ssd laying around, so I can throw those in, get the RB from HID with LM and call it a day. Just don't want to get the 60hz and realize its garbage. This is a travel machine for work, grad school, and occasional gaming (I've already used a 1060 max-q laptop for awhile and didn't have a problem gaming on it). I'm keeping my desktop with 8700k and GTX 1080 as my main PC.