Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. salada2k

salada2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is an interesting one, only time will tell. Something tells me though the entire case is being used to dissipate heat, this is actually a good thing - the metal can get as hot as it wants. What would be really interesting is to see how hot the INSIDE is when the outside is so hot. I actually think this is by design to help the laptop last longer. Happy to be proven wrong.

Someone tested this already, applying the skin to the bottom made no difference to temps. If that's your thing then go for it with confidence.

So 'cool', huh? OK that was a terrible pun. But I really do love that my fingers are getting that cool air whilst gaming. It's so well thought out.

And I guess to me at least, that's kind of the point. There do seem to be a number of things that are so well thought out on this device. I really do think the case getting hot under load is very intentional and used to transfer heat from the inside to the outside which is exactly where we want it to go. Sure you might say this gets uncomfortable at times. To me the worst that happens is the area where my palms rest get a little sweaty and the laptop needs a darn good wipe after a gaming session, but that's par for the course anyway and I'm always wiping this thing to keep it looking nice because I use it for work as well. No biggy really, it's not like that problem is exclusive to Razer, all laptops need wiping/cleaning. :)

2. villehaseo

villehaseo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

So I've been doing some experimenting and did the thermal paste and thermal pad swap to my Razer blade 15. Like everyone, I used 1,5mm pads and kryonaut as thermal paste.

After the swap I had to see if the thermal interfaces were making a proper contact with vapor chamber and opened the blade up after 2 days of usage on new pads and paste. Did it because the original pads on the upper part of the vapor chamber were definitely thicker and wanted to make sure there was a good contact to the components.

To my suprise the components marked in yellow in this picture were making realy small or no contact at all to the vapor chamber.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/15kfQFOLVExJBYWW1rbW-DWxx1v1X2tvt/view?usp=sharing
    (Blade in the picture is not mine, just used the picture to demonstrate the components I mean.)

on those CPU power components marked on the right were making no contact at all.

So what components these are, and how hot are they running? Do they need to have good contact to cool enough? have you opened your blades after the pad/paste swap?

Maybe I will order some 2mm pads for those and swap them out.

Waiting for your responses,

-Villehaseo

3. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Whoa nice picture I kind of want to make it my background desktop picture.

villehaseo likes this.
  4. Firebat246

Firebat246 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My latest Blade I left totally stock with Razer's graphite based grease. Temps are in order and I don't get thermal throttling. Power limit throttling is still an issue in certain games but until that is fixed.. everything is still running great.

Bones13 likes this.
  5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    man you're the luckiest guy on earth! you always get laptops that work great out of the box with super cool temps! :D

6. Firebat246

Reputations:
    I had a Clevo and Alienware that both gave me problems. Vid card and HD failure on the Clevo... and keyboard and motherboard failure on the Alienware. Razer has just been a better experience for me!

7. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    ohh ok, I was under the impression that your Mythlogic laptop was good at first with great temps as I remember from our previous conversations. Didn't know about your Alienware.

Enjoy man

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  8. Firebat246

Reputations:
    At first it ran great... but for 5k that laptop was a money pit and gave me a ton of problems even after 6 months. I'll never go back... the amount of time tweaking and OCing and repasting etc etc etc on a laptop that was supposed to be out of the box ready. Then to have a video card fail. I would rather spend almost half the cost on a thin and light and If I need more power go egpu.

Vasudev and Joikansai like this.
  9. Datus

Datus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As an update for ya all. I have ordered a case for the RB and a Card reader. When I get them and had a test, if they are as good as I hope you will see an upload. New video coming soon on hitfilm render RB VS my desktop.

10. Bones13

Bones13 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sounds good, looking forward to it.

@hidevolution shipped my RB 15, and it should arrive this week. They repasted with LM, I’ll try to benchmark the system when it arrives. I will be installing a 2T SSD with a new “clean” Win10pro install using the @Ultra Male guide prior to putting applications on.