Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. Arondight

Arondight Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Great to see you comment here, long time subscriber of your channel!

pdagal likes this.
  2. kessomatt

kessomatt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Don’t bother with this. I took a chance and ordered but it is not reliable. I put the 512gb drive that came in the Razer and when transferring large files it will randomly disconnect and reconnect to windows. It was pretty fast when it worked though.

3. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Razer and some Chinese export sites (like gearbest) did that, but other major manufacturers don't. I'm not sure if Razer is still doing it after LTT called them out on it. I do know that UBR stopped getting Razer units after Derek declined to shoehorn in wording from Razer -- despite that our review of the Core was pretty positive. :)

4. raiden87

raiden87 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Isnt the 256gb Version sata? Cause i got the smaller one and i dont have any heat problems (no ssd mod). It just gets about 50-55c hot. I thought this is because its a sata one

5. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On their site it says NVME. The RB14 doesn't support SATA, so I would be surprised if the RB 15 does.

raz8020 and Joikansai like this.
  6. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes it’s NVME, and my ssd temperature is around same 50ish nothing I should worry about on that area. One user reported it works with SATA.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...on-owners-lounge.817185/page-48#post-10741012
    I see fun things upgrading and tweaking things in this model...after 2 years when Guarantee out...well if mine still exists;) I’ll do those things:)

Vistar Shook likes this.
  7. Peter_p

Peter_p Newbie

Reputations:
    Got mine yesterday, and quite happy with it. Bleed on the bottom is accaptable, fan noise not too bad under light load, and the power adapter rattle is only audible when close to the adapter.
    I do have one big annoyance: the screen hinge cracks each time I adjust the screen to another angle. The sound is coming mostly from the right side. Is this normal or am I unlucky with the hinge beeing too tight?

8. paradigm

paradigm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    From the original poster, I would like to clarify that I too meant the reviewer's RB15's battery life and the temps on gaming seemed "off" . I must have watched every video review from a reputable source (read as 4 of which LTT still hasn't reviewed one properly) and read 3 reviews (of which NBc) plays a major part. mobiletechreview was able to swing me towards blade because her review seemed unbiased and honest, and that the battery wasn't all that bad, and for me that was a sticking point to get this 4000 Aussie dolla' rig with a year's warranty.

9. salada2k

salada2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine does not have that issue. Quiet as a mouse.

I do have quite a bit of backlight bleed on the bottom of the screen, but this seems relatively normal at this point. I'm not sure at this point I am going to do anything about it. I'm loving everything else about this thing so much the thought of doing an RMA for it seems pointless at least for now.

Cranked up Overwatch last night for the first time in ages. It ran like a dream. Loved it.

Boy, this thing does get hot though. Certainly a lot better with an undervolt of 140mV, but I still hit 92 C playing Overwatch (on the CPU). Ambient temp was 22 C.

As an aside, SSD went from 90C to 50C under load after applying some thermal grizzly minus pads (2.0mm) to the SSD. It's all I had on me, and I know everyone here has been using at least 3.0mm (doubling up on the 1.5mm pads) on the SSD controller. So those are my results with 2.0mm only. The pads are 8.0W/mk.

What do you guys think of those temps, especially the CPU when playing overwatch? I've still got the stock paste on the CPU (and GPU for that matter). I've done no mods to them yet.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. dgreen9

dgreen9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good results on the SSD with the pads you have on it. Those are perfect temperatures.

CPU is going to be 90+ if you don't lower the turbo. If you want to cool it down try lowering the turbo multiplier in throttlestop. You may find that it affects gaming performance not much or even not at all.