Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. pdagal

pdagal Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Actually:
    1) We generally receive review loaners from Razer. Razer does not send us idiot sheets telling us what to test. I have seen an occasional manufacturer suggest tests to run for those reviewers who aren't as aware as they should be of what to test. Razer however doesn't do this. In the US, no manufacturer would ever suggest phrases or wording- that would be considered something bordering on corrupt or at least offensive.

2) Razer was taking too long to get us a Blade 15 loaner, so I purchased the one used in our review. Thus it was not cherry picked by Razer PR and was from the very first retail batch. As an aside, I'm keeping it- great machine for the things I do such as 4K video editing, heavy photo editing with 3rd party PS filters and of course, gaming :cool:. I'm not thrilled by the light bleed along the bottom edge and the high SSD temps (I was the first to share the solution to use thermal pads, which fixes the issue), but otherwise it's been good.

3) There still seems to be paranoia and conspiracy theories about reviewers and review units. Oh well, maybe that's human nature... no idea.

4) Honestly, most of the big name products on the market these days are pretty darned solid (not saying perfect). That means reviews will lean toward the positive since these products are by no means failures or crap. I do think that quite a few reviewers have just a limited time to spend with review loaners, and might not see some of the long term warts that owners encounter if they test the machine and write/video a review after just 3-5 days. I'm independent (I don't have to answer to a big corporate boss), so I spend longer, but not every reviewer can.

5) Relating to point 4, there are generally enough positive points for a given good quality product that reviewers don't have to work to get on a manufacturer's good side. As long as a review is balanced and fair (manufacturers are already aware of their products' shortcomings and don't ding reviewers for calling them out), then all is good. I've given Razer a hard time on some of their products- particularly the Blade Pro 17", and they still work with me. Apple is the only company I've heard of that has pulled review sites out of their review program for negativity.

2. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    I had heard, from the review site, that idiot sheets were a thing and not uncommon - forgot if it was Tom's Hardware or Anandtech - they are my main two. It may have been for an Intel or Apple product, can't recall - but it DOES happen. I like when review sites buy a retail sample as that can be expected to be more representative of what a customer would get :)

It is good to know that smaller independent reviewers like your site are being supported well by manufacturers to get more reviews out there and generate a better informed public.

I also like that you take longer to be more thorough and critical of cooling as that is often one of the things that I find sorely lacking in notebook reviews from the big sites - they quickly gloss over it with a couple snapshot measurements and maybe an infrared picture or two.

3. Flip1

Flip1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So other than the SSD overheating, is it decent or should I just grab the 256?
    I could just suffer with low storage for a few months to save 225 bucks (Cad :( ) and throw that towards an evo or pro closer to the holidays??

What do you guys think?

4. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    Due to having only the single SSD interface, cloning the drive to a new one is a pain meaning a new SSD is likely also a fresh install of Windows (which is not the worst thing in the world)

5. berniebennybernard

berniebennybernard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm most likely going to sell my stock 256GB M.2 (after I exchange models) and get either the 512GB or 1TB Crucial MX500.

The 1TB variant is less than $300 on Amazon after BC taxes and I think I could sell the stock drive for at least 100 on Craigslist.

6. salada2k

salada2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And we love that you do <3

Your content is excellent and I'm a big fan of your channel. :vbthumbsup:

Petrov, Arondight and pdagal like this.
  7. Flip1

Flip1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Isn't selling the original a bad idea, in case you need to RMA?

8. dgreen9

dgreen9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's really, really, really not hard to clone to a new SSD. You make an image on an external drive and then restore from it. It's just a longer process because you can't go drive to drive.

That said just do a fresh install. Razer gives a really skinny install of Windows, but SSD drives do seem to be happier to have a fresh install done. You also get to get rid of the recovery partition and regain that lost space.

9. dgreen9

dgreen9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yep.

10. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Did anyone ever verify if a SATA m.2 works in the Razer 15?

Vistar Shook likes this.