Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. salada2k

salada2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone figure out how to set the colours on the Windows lock screen? They always seem to revert to cycling through the different colours. I assume that's stored in the firmware. Despite trying to set 'everything I could' in Chroma, nothing worked. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Also, just a nice little surprise, was playing Overwatch and noticed that Synapse configured the keyboard backlighting for me. What was really cool (prolly old news to some) was that the keys lighting changes in game, like when a weapon is powering up the E key would flash and then when the weapon would finish powering up the E key on keyboard would change to a solid colour. I was blown away, that's so awesome. I’d never seen that before. Sometimes it’s those little details that can make a great impression.

2. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Your synapse lightning profile would be loaded after log in to window, yes it’s somehow from synapse before log in it would show some previous lightning effects, there’s way to keep your profile before log in but it’s complicated and I forgot the thread about it, somewhere on Razer forum.
    There’s also other games that supported chroma like rise of the Tomb Raider, elex, FFXV etc, you can find other here, and it’s also not only for Blade Keyboard but also other peripherals that supported chroma.

Vistar Shook and salada2k like this.
  3. rickybambi

rickybambi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Notebookcheck just posted a review of 144hz / 1060 MQ version earlier today.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer-Blade-15-i7-8750H-GTX-1060-Max-Q-FHD-Laptop-Review.314146.0.html

Below is a snippet from their verdict.

"The result is a configuration that actually runs longer, cooler, and quieter by noticeable margins. It is therefore arguable that the GTX 1060 Max-Q SKU offers a more balanced experience for mainstream gamers and on-the-go students while the powerful GTX 1070 Max-Q SKU can be seen as the "performance at all cost" enthusiast option."

After reading the review, specifically the section on CPU, I'm wondering if the i5-8300H would have been a better pairing for the 1060 MQ version (perhaps even the 1070 MQ version).

hfm likes this.
  4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No it’s same hot this 8th gen cpu, and it performs worse than previous Blade 14 with 7700HQ, and with 1060 it means downgrade. I prefer 8750 it’s damn faster over 30% over i5 8300 or i7 7700 , if could I want better 8850H. Of course user have to know how to handle the temperature without loosing the performance, this is what interesting to me. Here’s Dell 15 G5 cpu temperature on stress test from same notebookcheck review, my 8750 is better on default and hardcore and long period gaming only one or two cores hitting 90ish, and no thermal throttle with my personal setting.
    0133F870-ABA8-4E60-B431-6081B7198DE5.jpeg

Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. Arondight

Arondight Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Maybe a i3/1060 version would be a good cheaper option, I just don't think it should replace any of the current offering.

If we were talking about the stock machine then it's something that could be argued, definitely. But with proper undervolting (and even turbo speed adjustments) it's honestly very possible to keep the i7 under control. Also, while the Blade is a gaming laptop let's not forget many people (and Razer knows this) buy it for production work in general in which having the i7 and its 6 cores is a god send.

6. paradigm

paradigm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Eason likes this.
  7. Arondight

Arondight Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What do you mean? The results they're showing seem in line with what we're getting. They don't mention CPU temps (a shame, that's where the Blade struggles) but GPU temps being between 80 and 84C is nothing special, now that I undervolted the CPU my 1070MQ hits 79C maximum during sustained heavy gaming load (Witcher 3 for instance) and doesn't go over 75C when playing Overwatch. During short bursts like benchmarks I got 71C max.

EDIT: only thing that's surprising is the battery life, but battery life tests are not standardized at all making it difficult to judge how accurate they are.

salada2k likes this.
  8. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    Also most review sites have some bias towards the vendor and want to stay in their good graces so they keep receiving review kit - no review kit means no reviews means site dies. They are literally sent a page with suggestions on what tests to run and how and phrases or wordings they should include in their review. I also absolutely would not put it past Razer to seed review sites the highest bin'd units to appear better.

9. Flip1

Flip1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The only thing that looks out of sorts from what I've read up about is the battery life being better than the aero. The video mentions 8 hours and 50 minutes looping an HD video, which sounds really wrong.

10. Arondight

Arondight Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah that's the issue with battery tests, every reviewer has his own test that's more or less relevant. That's why when judging a laptop's battery life I just want to know the specs, the actual size in Wh of the battery and if Optimus is enabled. That will tell you the battery life you can expect with 90% accuracy.

Vistar Shook likes this.