Razer blade 15 2021 Rtx 3000

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Joikansai, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For those who understand Chinese, blade 15 advanced Qhd g sync 3070 maxq laptop I think first review out there. Apparently on SoTR it performs better than base that Matthew moniz (sorry if I called wrongly) on same qhd setting. It’s apparently 95 watt tdp, but apparently screen brightness isn’t great under 300 nits, if I read that kanji right LoL.

Lauski likes this.
  2. mario64

mario64 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sure wish I could understand what they're saying :-(

3. Lauski

Lauski Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for that vid. I have my first comparison between the two laptops I'm considering (this and the G15). I really hoped the new blade would have an AMD option, but wondered if I'd really notice the difference in my use cases.

comp1.png

Joikansai likes this.
  4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I like g14 from its performance on small from factor, but g15, honestly it looks like Blade 15 copy without webcam to me, and I heard they’re risky for LM leaks correct me if I’m wrong since some users apparently mentioned this. AMD CPUs is great but on gaming intel still ahead I saw, on battery life maybe it’s better but I don’t really care windows laptops battery life it is often bugged by softwares and drivers especially on this optimus laptops.

5. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll join the thread here - have a 15 Advanced 3070 QHD pre-ordered. I put the pre-order in Jan, right now says delivery by 19 March. I should be fairly early in line to get this. I doubt I'll keep it - but I'm tempted. Currently use a desktop build with an apparently very valuable 2060S in our stupid climate. Also have a Macbook Air M1 loaded to the gills - figure I might be able to consolidate into a single machine, but it's hard since I love the MBA and I have struggled with gaming laptops in the past due to fan noise. However - I get it's the price of entry and I've seen that the advanced model can at least shave about 2-3 dBA off of most peer gaming laptops for fans, which is half power, so I wonder if I will be ok with it? My mini-ITX desktop can actually peg at 46dBA (much lower frequency output though). Anyways - my silent M1 machine is just so nice and usable as a portable powerhouse machine, but it's obviously no gaming device. Does Razer still use the old-fashioned hybrid sleep or hibernation on their machines? After using both Surface Laptop and this M1 - instant on, with little to no loss in battery % even over long periods is incredible. I'm assuming I go back to the long slow resume from hibernation with the Razer blade?

A bit of ramble, just joining the fray.

6. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wanted to ask - has anyone seen any reviews of the new "advanced optimus" feature in any other laptop? Seems pretty nice and perhaps game-changing this gen? Sure these weird spec RTX GPUs and their variable wattage ("up to" 95W on the Blade) - aren't the same leap that desktop class RTX 30XX are - but some of these features do have my attention if they work well in the laptop space.

1) Advanced optimus - no need for "mux" anymore- just dynamically switches without a reboot? I haven't seen any review yet - seems tied to specific QHD panels? All current advice is to get a MUX switch enabled laptop this gen, but with adv optimus, seems obsolete in order to get the best of all worlds? You get native framebuffer to display and G-Sync, and battery life of iGPU when doing normal desktop tasks?
    2) Whisper mode - admittedly - I'd like to play some older games with 60+ FPS without the roaring fans - although admittedly it's hard to walk away from max frames. Has anyone tested this yet to see if it works better than before? I know GEFORCE Experience managed this before, and it wasn't really used that much since it's kinda the antithesis of most gamer's desires. But let's be real, some games can played at 60+ FPS without 55 dBA fans.

Updating this - looking at this

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/gaming-laptops/

Seems that Advanced Optimus and DLSS are the best features out of this gen, with Whisper Mode 2.0 (at least for me) in third place. Things like "resiable BAR" and the Dynamic Boost should be listed under "additional features" as they are more technical than the other features. Trying to sort through marketing speak from things that could actually really be nice upgrades (to me) is always tough. Curious of any experience with Whisper Mode 2.0 and Advanced Optimus. Right now everyone is praising MUX

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  7. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ordered a Blade 15 Advanced QHD 240hz RTX 3080 due to arrive next week. This is UK, wish it had secondary key backlighting but let’s see how it fairs.

8. Lauski

Reputations:
    @smugpanda - Hey, welcome to the thread. Just saw your comments since I only drop by every now and then. I can comment a little on some of your points.

First up for your MUX switch, there was some discussion here about the "reboot or not" when changing GPU modes, but I still feel like the answer isn't clear for the blade 15 advanced model w/ QHD since it seems unique like you've mentioned.
    https://insider.razer.com/index.php...ies-still-the-best-gaming-laptop.68684/page-4

Your other points about fan noise and performance compromises align with how I like things also. With that in mind, I would say that even if it does require a reboot, I'm not overly concerned and I think you actually may not be either. Right now I have my current Blade undervolted, Turbo mode turned off, frame limited to 60 FPS (or sometimes just via VSync for certain titles) and these adjustments keep the machine quiet, but also more importantly -- consistent. I can tolerate some fan noise, but I cannot tolerate sudden spikes up/down/up/down which is what happens the more wildly you allow the framerate to span, and if you have turbo mode enabled as it is by default in the BIOS.

One more idea that might help you is you can also modify your behaviors to align with the computer. Right now on my Blade, I notice if I do not have my HDMI monitor hooked up before I turn the computer on, I get lower framerates (25% worse) than if I boot the machine with it already connected. So... if you are going to turn your machine on with the intent to play the latest AAA title, plugging in to your monitor will directly connect you to the GPU anyway, thus avoiding the "mux switch / reboot" problem automatically. So then you can just leave the machine in Optimus mode since when not plugged into an external monitor you'll mostly be on the go.... want better battery, be around others, and thus want the fans quieter anyway?

You probably see what I mean. This is the worst case scenario, if the new RB 15 QHD Advanced doesn't do something better than previous generations, but it's still livable with behaviors much like I'm already used to (especially since I value battery on the go, and quiet fans like you.)

Hope this helps.

smugpanda likes this.
  9. Lauski

Reputations:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer...-GeForce-RTX-3060-Holds-Up-Well.527245.0.html

Good review as always from notebookcheck. New take-away from this one for me was the mention that they have confirmed resizable bar is an included feature by Razer this gen, which I've not yet specifically seen elsewhere.

Not to get too excited though since a few videos I watched last week on non-Razer models, showed resizable bar and dynamic boost really aren't game-changers for performance gains... at least not yet.

Joikansai likes this.
  10. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sweet, qhd with g sync is way to go me too on next upgrade. About function keys don’t hope it too much, I think I saw pro 17 2021 UK it’s still not backlighted. Only US version, I might be wrong though. Regardless happy to hear yout impressions and the benchmarks. They still doesn’t have color option even in home country (LoL), quite bored with black laptops, maybe I’ll just take mercury Razer book for work.
    Yes it’s suck when you’ve the capable gpu but doesn’t have that feature. Apparently need motherboard bios update beside nvidia one and on some PC it bumps the performance around 10% on capable titles.

Attached Files: