Razer blade 15 2021 Rtx 3000

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Joikansai, Jan 12, 2021 at 5:27 PM.

1. GR8-Ride

GR8-Ride Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There are pictures posted by Razer that show the two SSDs stacked on top of each other.

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/16404/CES 2021 Briefing Deck_16.jpg

From Anandtech: "Which brings us to storage: the Blade 15 Advanced ships with a 1TB NVMe M.2 drive, and for the first time for the Advanced Model, also includes a second empty M.2 slot for another drive. To accomplish this, Razer has opted to stack the second SSD on top of the first one, owing to the space constraints of the laptop."

Patrick

Qwaarjet and Joikansai like this.
  2. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    From 3000 series desktop GPUs I see thermal improvement compared to previous gen Turing and pascal with similar tdp GPUs, had experience with Zotac 1080ti and Evga xc2080, they can easily hits 70ish on Zotac even 80ish. Since on blade laptops fans will kicking on around 50ish degrees, and noticeable loud when hitting 80ish plus cpu temperature, since heat sinks sharing both cpu and gpu lower temperatures might reduce annoying noises like high pitching on some models. However nvidia on their mobile gpu announcement said there will be new second gen wishper mode technology with Ai blablabla that would reduce noise according the parts temperature best possible without reducing much performance , let’s see if it’s true with intel 14nm chip inside;)
    Wow, that’s world first LoL. Correct me if I’m wrong, I think I didn’t see it yet on other brands.

3. Qwaarjet

Qwaarjet Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm curious myself where they crammed the 2nd slot. Are they sandwiched? It's hard to tell, they have a CGI render of the internals somewhat, all I could tell was that they shifted the original nvme slot closer to the edge and they have some new shielding on the screw portion. Maybe the 2nd mirrors that drive and slides under the RAM?

https://ibb.co/3zVD56z

Edit, nevermind GR8-Ride knew the corrected answer

4. Thysanoptera

Thysanoptera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They could produce two versions, a mobile like this one and customizable desktop. They have interface ready. I was bouncing around with different laptop sizes, recently I was travelling with 13 inch stealth, plus a 15 inch monitor, external keyboard etc. Only doable when travelling by car and you don't care about your precious carry-on space. 13 inch + portable eGPU still would take considerable space and weight. Small/thin 15 incher with mid-range dGPU and powerful CPU that can connect using full speed link to eGPU at home would be my ideal laptop.

I noticed if I disable dGPU in Windows Device Manager it still gets hot, even though it doesn't show sensors in HWINfo. If you mod the Bios you can disable it over there and then it is truly off.

So, looks like you'll be limited to single sided SSDs, which AFAIK max out at 2TB each. If this is the case you'll be more limited on storage than with the current model which can host 8TB double sided SSD.

5. GR8-Ride

GR8-Ride Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm highly reluctant to mod my BIOS, for the usual fears of bricking my system. And I still need my laptop for travel / work, so having to reconfigure the BIOS anytime I want to use the dGPU is rather inconvenient.

As to single sided SSDs, that's another factor that I'm concerned about with the Blade 15. As you said, an 8TB M.2 drive technically takes up less space than 2 x 2TB singled sided SSDs.

Patrick

6. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There’s other m2 slot so you still can add 8TB like before
    DDA068B7-ED47-4CD3-A344-E46DC95B88ED.jpeg

Sandwich SSD not potatoes:D

7. Thysanoptera

Thysanoptera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There are different heights of the m.2 slot. The one in current Advanced is high enough to accommodate two sided SSD (with chips at the bottom). The new one with stacked SSD almost certainly has a bare minimum height to only clear the flat PCB side of the bottom SSD.

EDIT - now that I'm looking at this, there should be a way to remove the heatsink between SSDs, and jerry rig some mounting mechanism to keep the upper one in place. This should provide enough clearance for double sided at the top. Or maybe there is enough space already, that washer looks like may be thick enough.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 2:49 PM
  8. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anybody have any idea on how long it takes them to put out the silver version of their advanced model after the black ones go on sale?

9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    No clue, Razer has been very inconsistent on how they offer the Mercury trim on their blades.

10. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Blah ... I hate that.