Razer Blade 15 1060 or 1070 version

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Minh Do, Aug 24, 2018.

?

Which Razer Blade 15 2018 should I get? 1060 or 1070

1. RazerBlade 15 1060

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. RazerBlade 15 1070

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minh Do

Minh Do Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a 10% discount from bestbuy for my upcoming bday.

I prefer slim bezel laptops with good decent batteries and I narrowed it down to these two.

I am a gamer in a small room so I can't fit a desktop in my room.

I prefer a brand new laptop and should I buy the GeekSquad protection 3 year plan?

Does the 1070 144hz throttle harder than the 1060 144hz edition or the temps relatively the same?

Also hows the acoustic to performance ratio between the two.

I plan to buy between 1-2 weeks.

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Neither - Razer laptops are heavily frowned-upon because of the poor track record of many issues, unreliable devices and horrible customer support and quality. Generally, if you want a laptop that will last more than 1 year, buy something else - MSI GS65 Stealth, Asus Zephyrus M, Gigabyte Aero 15 - any of these is MUCH better in every way possible.

If you're dead set on a Blade - do NOT buy it from Best Buy - support will be a nightmare. ONLY consider Razer products from the Microsoft Store or HIDevolution since they offer 3rd party warranties that are actually usable. (Razer's warranty service is truly horrible - people have had to RMA a device 4 times (1-2 months RMA time per RMA) before they FINALLY got a working one. I'm not kidding - the post is somewhere on this forum - a person RMAed a Blade 14 for 5 months straight before finally getting to use it. It's absurd. So yeah, get a good extended warranty from a 3rd party if you want a Razer laptop.

As for noise - expect high noise levels - about 50dB(a) or so. Maybe more for the 1070. As for the thermals - it won't be usable on your lap - it gets very hot. Not as bad as past gens but it's a hot laptop.

3. Minh Do

Minh Do Newbie

Reputations:
    So you're telling me Razer be selling products higher than other products that are much worst quality?

Sounds like Razer is my Beats by Dre Solo 3 that died a year after I got them.

4. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Essentially - it's the same general principle. Razer create a lot of hype and their marketing division is incredibly competent. Their engineering, however, is not. And what's worse - most reviewers only test them for a week or two - so the issues that tend to manifest after a few months are never mentioned. For example, the Blade 14 models from 2013, 2014 and part of 2015 had a vBIOS chip stuck right under the heatsink - why? No idea, it makes no sense. But after prolonged exposure to heat - that chip dies. The same models also had poorly designed power delivery systems with 2 mosfets that would frequently fail because, under load, they would run on the edge of the rated spec. And it doesn't stop there - the Blade stealth's heatsink is so laughably poor quality that you can engrave your name on it with your fingernals. I'm not kidding. Louis Rossmann did that on video.

5. Raphandryu

Raphandryu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sadly, that's true about Razer. When people pay a that much high amount for product, they except a better customer service which Razer fails most of the time. Although you don't really need customer services at all with high end laptops, unless you're very unlucky.

1070 max-q generates lesser heat than 1060 due to slower clock speed. But due to more cuda cores, 1070 max-q performs 5%-15% better than 1060(range varies with the laptop and application/game). If 1070 max-q is under your budget, get it.

Other thought - overall performance of Asus Zephyrus M is much better than that of Blade 15. So I would suggest to take a look at Zephyrus as well in case you like it too.

Spartan likes this.
  6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    1060, razer cannot adequately cool a 1070, it can barely keep up with a 1060.

7. Minh Do

Minh Do Newbie

Reputations:
    I was just at bestbuy to see their displays.

They had the Razer Blade 15 1060 edition and MSI Stealth Thin 1070 edition out on display.

The Razer was luke warm on idle when I touched the bottom of the wrist rest and it got warmer the higher I went up.

8. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I vote to Blade 15 1070. It’s beast machine I thought I was only the one with great experience but today I saw other user getting nearly 16K Firestrike overall on 1070 maxq laptop which is insane, it’s with LM though unlike mine. Though i get already 15,2K which separates this laptop already to other 1070 maxq and join full 1070 laptop. Yes unfortunately I saw horror stories so I would only recommend buying from somewhere with good CS backup and extended guarantee. Here in EU we’ve 2 years guarantee and the CS here never disappointed me. Idk about heatsink design etc that poeple is saying bad on Razer Laptops, but my old Blade 2015 almost 4 years works still great even now with other owner, I game on it a lot in 2 years owning it. The throttle that happens on it is power limit throttling, but it’s apparently through bios than unlock somehow maybe for thermal reason, anyway that has no effect on real usage. Over around 30% performance bump compared to 1060 it’s worth the money imo.
    Yes it’s hot on gaming usage especially middle keyboard areas where vapor chamber is located that is downside from aluminum unibody, it took heat easier than other materials, some mentioned very hot to touch but I can play Overwatch for hours on its keyboard without feeling inconvenient, it’s warm but not “too hot to touch”, ambient temperatures may also effect it.

9. Minh Do

Minh Do Newbie

Reputations:
    If I were to disable hyper-threading in the bios, would my temps drop considerable?

10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    **Maybe**, but you'd also have to throttle back your GPU (andCPU) as well and at that point you're getting an even worse performance-to-price value out of the laptop. I'd personally just ignore Razor completely and look at more competent machines (though your requirement for a slim "gaming" laptop is going to greatly hinder this search).

don_svetlio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.