Razer Blade 14 (7700HQ/1060) beatdown log

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Mobius 1, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Gebirgskuchen

Gebirgskuchen Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank your so much for all the info. Hope you'll get your thermal paste very soon!
    I would also like to mod my bios, but unless i updated it to the newest spectre version I guess it will be to difficult to mod it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  2. LucaMaxPower

LucaMaxPower Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't know what spectre version does mean, do you refer to the intel security leak? What laptop model do yo have? I've modded latest bios avaiable on razer download page, the process is the same as older ones. In reality it only unlocked some functionalities that were already in bios.
    Maybe ram could be overclocked but I don't think I would gain much over 2400mhz ddr4 stock speed.

If you have never replaced the thermal coumpound I would suggest to do it, no more throttling even with low end compound. Razer made a bad application in mine, in particular on the cpu side.

3. Gebirgskuchen

Gebirgskuchen Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, I'm using the newest BIOS Version, referring to intel's security leak. I have the 7700HQ 2017 Razer Blade. Would be cool if you could help me flashing/modding the Bios!

Yes, I really need to change the thermal paste and pads.

Thanks for your help!

4. LucaMaxPower

LucaMaxPower Newbie

Reputations:
    For the bios mod all the merit goes to Fernando Geraci, razer insider member that made a video on yotube that you could follow.

The process is simply reading your bios, changing hidden menus and re-flashing it. The tools are provided under yt links, uploaded directly by him. Of course be aware that the laptop should not power off during this operation, as you will already now for sure (so remove undervoltings and things that coud hurt system's stability)

IMPORTANT NOTE: in the video, he does not check the first option to show the overclock menu (it only shows the sub menues, of course you should check it in order to open the menu un bios.

The setting in >advanced folder (click on advanced folder, not open sub-folder) and enable USER for Overclocking Performance menu.

If you watch the video you'll figure it out ;)

Thermal paste should arrive tomorrow! I will measure and decide about the thermal pads on the go.

5. Gebirgskuchen

Gebirgskuchen Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for the Link and your little tipp, concerning the overclocking menu. Everything worked perfectly!

6. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, unfortunately 1070 max q Laptop still by far better, on Blade 15 1070 maxq i can even get similar performance with full 1070 on Zephyrus, Witcher 3 performs even better than Zephyrus FPS same setting. Though if you can achieve 10600 it’s great compared to other 1060 laptops, and better than my Blade 14 that i had.
    Here’s my setting comparison:
    Blade 14 2017
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20820726
    Blade 15 2018
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/27184597

7. Gebirgskuchen

Gebirgskuchen Newbie

Reputations:
    Did you manage measuring them by now?:)

8. Gebirgskuchen

Gebirgskuchen Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, I measured them myself. I have 0,5 mm, 1 mm and 2 mm. So there will be three different thermal pads, you have to replace.

9. votehart

votehart Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone, picked up a RB 14 7700hq with UHD today. It should get here in a few days. With a past RB I used LM on the CPU and GPU. The CPU with the repaste and undervolt was in the high 60s rarely going into the 70s but the GPU would still hit 80. Not bad thermals but the fans would kick in around 74. Never really felt comfortable with LM on the GPU because of the heat sink’s gaps so I ultimately removed it for traditional paste.

I saw Coolabortory LiquidMetal Pads and thought this might be a solution to the heat sink not having a traditional flat surface. The LM Pads are suppose to melt into the heat sink and is noted as being safe for aluminum.

Any thoughts would be great.