Razer Blade 14 (7700HQ/1060) beatdown log

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Mobius 1, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    did you attempt custom vbios flashing or bios flashing before having this failure?

Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. Nuke33

Nuke33 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    VBios is stock and no attempts were made to flash it since it is protected. Main Bios is modified, although it worked fine for around half a year.
    I did clear CMOS by disconnecting both main and cmos batteries. Unfortunately it did not help.

I will try to read the contents of the VBios chip with an external programmer next, to see if it still responds.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. NatsuSirius

NatsuSirius Newbie

Reputations:

Hi, can you reupload the files again? I tried it but it's no longer available. Thanks!

4. warhouse

warhouse Newbie

Reputations:
    Ahh I have a booting problem with my RB 2017, I think it is bricked, I bought it real cheap and the guy who sold it to me said that he tried to update the bios to never see windows again haha, I took it to a Tech service, and the guy told me that if I could get my hands on a BIOS he could get it to work.

Model: Razer Blade 2017 KabyLake.
    Problem: Only boot to BIOS, if I let it run it gets to the automatic repair loop, to black screen (tried everything, from changing ssd, clear cmos, check bios options, etc.)

If anyone could help me with some files I would greatly appreciate! :D

5. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. Nuke33

Reputations:
  7. Nuke33

Reputations:
    Btw, I was able to read out the contents of the SPI VBios chip (Winbond W25Q80EW).
    I compared the dump with my original VBios dump from ~half a year ago and they matched exactly.
    I reflashed just to be on the safe side, but it did not solve the problem.
    Maybe it´s the uncooled MOSFET on the top side of the board.

@pbhenry3

Can you comment on this ? Any tips would be highly appreciated.

8. LucaMaxPower

LucaMaxPower Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi folks, I'm upgrading thermal paste and past to my blade 14 2017 7770hq gtx1060.
    For the paste I will be using therma grizzly kryonaut along with thermal grizzly thermal pads.

I don't know what kind of paste/pad is needed for the vrms, wich have now a thin layer of a strange semi-solid thermal kind of paste. Can you help me?
    vrm is not throttling so i'm only going to re done the vrms cooling if sure that I'm improving stock heat dissipation.

9. Gebirgskuchen

Gebirgskuchen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd like to know the exact same things: How thick are the thermal pads and what was used on the vrms?

Thanks in advance!

10. LucaMaxPower

LucaMaxPower Newbie

Reputations:
    Looks like the thread is not much populated now... I have a blade 14 2017.
    I'm going to repaste for the second time with kryonaut thermal paste from thermal grizzly, I used standard artic paste. The pads as I remember looked not all the same thickness (the memory gpu ones with other pads installed), I'm going to measure as soon as the paste arrives and then decide if I will change them. For the vrms I found a strange thermal paste, but I guess nobody will now exactly... But if it wasn't a 2000€ like (yeah I'm Italian and here is even more exotic), I would guess and try a dense thermal paste, like the one a guy used in a yt video on his blade (even on gpu memory chips, that I wouldn't, to keep the internals clean)
    I will update this, and I could take some shots for the community if it would help others...

The first pads I'm going to replace are gpu's memory pads, because is overclocked, and now knowing is samsung (don't know if could be even micron or not), that I can overclock it more than the 500Mhz I'm running now (4500Mhzx2, like 9gbps special 1060s).

I have also done undervolting by unlocking bios setting (cleaner than xtu) and disabled ASPM in bios, which bumped firestrike score well beyond 10600+, good for a laptop this small and similar to a 1070 max-q performance.