Razer Blade 14 (7700HQ/1060) beatdown log

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Mobius 1, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMoore03

DMoore03 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, I repasted with thermal grizz on the CPU and IC Diamond on the GPU. So far i feel like i've gotten worse results on the repaste lol. The cpu gaming im maxing around 78 but intel XTU shows me throttling @ 74ish? Why is this? Max i'm reaching on GPU is 83 in msi afterburner. Something doesnt seem right. I went heavy on GPU as mophius suggested and put about two pea size or a little larger on. For the grizzly i followed the directions and applied a thin layer.

Vistar shoot me your email in a PM and ill send you measurements and pics of the thermal pads.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. pbhenry3

pbhenry3 Company Representative

Reputations:
    so this is 2017? Do you have a good quality picture with heatsink removed? Of particular interest is right below gpu, and above cpu in cpu vcore buck converter area. would be awesome to see what they have going on there. it looks different. Actually a full view of the board in HD would be great too. Some other stuff looks to be changed here.

bloodhawk, jaug1337 and Vistar Shook like this.
  3. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @pbhenry3, he did post more pictures later in the thread, removal of heatsink and repaste with LM.
    If I ever have issues with my blade, I will definitely send it to you for repair.

pbhenry3 and Eason like this.
  4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hey I saw you on louis rossman :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I have more but haven't uploaded yet, will check later.

Vasudev and Vistar Shook like this.
  5. pbhenry3

Reputations:
    as expected they added a 4th phase into cpu vcore buck converter. Probably because of the newer cpu. The whole board layout is changed a good bit. I wonder if for better or worse. I see vbios is still under heatsink though :(

jaug1337, Eason and Vistar Shook like this.
  6. DMoore03

DMoore03 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

So after about 24 hours heres what my results are. I'm not sure if i had the issues i stated above in the quote was because I was running games and test about 20 minutes after the initial re paste. Maybe since things have cured and setup now its getting better??? I was initially pretty scared as to why my machine was running hotter at first. I give credit to vistashook on helping me out via private messages and instilling some confidence on waiting for the paste to cure up and would get better as the days went out. This morning i booted up the laptop and just let it idle and CPU temps were at 33-34. Opening web browser the temps were hovering around 40. 3dmark.png 3dmark temp.png

jaug1337, Vasudev and pau1ow like this.
  7. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Really boggles my mind why manufacturers do this.

8. pbhenry3

Reputations:
    I can't think of any reason except for wanting it to fail prematurely. Razer is the only company that I know of that does that. Their manufacture company is "Build your Dreams Limited" right out of Shenzhen china. I wonder who's idea it was exactly to put it there though, would be interesting to know.

jaug1337, Papusan and Vistar Shook like this.
  9. X33nbat

X33nbat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, the 2017 notebooks are the first to be handled by Razer's new team in Taiwan, but the details of component selection, layout and placement are still up to BYD.
    BYD is a big manufacturer in China making automobiles and major home appliances, but is relatively new to consumer electronics. I believe the Razer notebooks are the only laptops they have ever made.
    I know some people think Razer has designed these to fail so you have to buy a new one sooner, but that is a zero sum game. I'm pretty sure the problem is due to inexperience of BYD, and lack of oversight and testing by Razer.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. pbhenry3

Reputations:
    the thing is that any engineer should know not to put it there. Interestingly they only began putting it under the heatsink starting in the 2014 model. It may be possible they are trying to improve though. They did correct the failing MOSFETs starting with the 2015 model...but that one still had other issues. It will be interesting to see what will be new in the late 2017/2018 model.

Papusan and Vistar Shook like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.