Razer Blade 14" (2014) vs Lenovo Y50 Touch

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by CognitiveFail, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CognitiveFail

CognitiveFail Newbie

Reputations:
    So I'm trying to get a new laptop that will last me through 4 years of college and after doing some research, I came up with these two laptops.
    Razer Blade 2014: The New Razer Blade Ultra-Thin Gaming Laptop - 14" Notebook Display
    Lenovo Y50 Touch: http://shop.lenovo.com/usstudents/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50-touch/#customize
    Oh also here's some info about myself:
    What is your budget?
    $3000

What country will you be buying this in?
    U.S.A

What size notebook do you prefer?
    Thin and Light (13 - 14-inch screen)
    Mainstream (15 - 16-inch screen)

What brands do you like or dislike?
    Like: Lenovo, Razer
    Dislike: Alienware

Would you consider a refurbished laptop?
    No

What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for?
    Web Surfing, Listening to Music, Video Chat and Conference, Movie Streaming and Viewing, Output Video to TV or Large Monitor, Casual Gaming, Graphic Intense 3D Gaming

Music Production

What games will you be playing?
    Battlefield 4, Skyrim, Crisis 3, Darksiders 2

Where will you be using this laptop?
    Will be used different places and Will stay on desk

How many hours of battery life do you need?

Will you be buying online or in store?
    online or in store

Which OS do you prefer?
    Windows 8 or Windows 7

List the screen resolutions that interest you:
    Standard Resolution (1366 x 768)
    High Resolution (1600 x 900)

Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen?
    Glossy is fine

Is the laptops design important to you?
    Yes

Approximately what date will you be buying this laptop?
    Around 05/31/2014

How long do you want this laptop to last?
    4 years

How much storage capacity do you need?
    250 GB

Are you interested in SSD for storage?
    Maybe

Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type?
    No

As it states above, I am using this for school reasons too, but I also need a powerful laptop that will allow me to play some higher end games like skyrim and crisis 3 and do some music production on the side. I know a little bit about computers but am no where near an expert, which is why i need some advice on this :)

Things that I like about the Razer: Its high resolution, high gaming capabilities for such a small laptop, and the portability is also a pretty big deal considering I'm going to be carrying this laptop around alot.
    Things I don't like about the Razer: The cost (even though my budget allows for it...it's still a hefty amount)
    Things that I like about the Lenovo: Pretty good cost, will also allow for good gaming and other things, portability is ok.
    Things I don't like about Lenovo: Not as powerful as the Razer (in the eyes of a novice like me), the portability is not as good (1.5lb heavier and .2inches thicker).

So...yeah...it seems that they both have small flaws but are pretty good laptops. I just can't decide! Any type of help would be appreciated :D (or if you think i'm making the wrong choice entirely, any new suggestions would also be much appreciated)

Oh and also, what's the deal with the heating on these laptops? I have heard some people say that these laptops get so hot that it's hard to have your hand stay on the keyboard after 30 minutes of game play. I realize that having so much high power machinery in such small laptops can cause some heat, but is it that bad?

Thanks in advance,
    John :hi2:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  2. shahmeer

shahmeer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The first thing I can do is point you to the Y50 thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/741832-y50-thread-366.html
    Secondly, we don't know how the Y50 performs yet because nobody has managed to do some benchmarks/tests.

Anyways, the Lenovo Y50 is marketed more as a value oriented laptop, while the Razer is more a 'no compromises made' laptop.

Because of the thinness, you can expect both of these laptops to heat, a lot. However, the Razer graphics card is Kepler (870M), and is outputs much more heat and uses much more power than the Y50 which is Maxwell (860M). The Y50 also has a bigger chasis so that should help too.

I would say that the Razer is overpriced, but good nonetheless. Wait for reviews of the Y50 to come out, then make your decision.

3. CognitiveFail

CognitiveFail Newbie

Reputations:
    Huh...interesting how it hasn't been fully tested yet. I guess I will have to wait for a review to really determine if I want it or not. By the way, is the razer's heat that unbearable? I've heard that some people genuinely can't keep their hands on the keyboard...

4. carphreak

carphreak Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I own a razer blade 14 2014, and I can say that the heat is UNBEARABLE. But since every other aspect is perfect from the display to the touchpad to the speakers, I am going to keep it. Just your choice of whether you are willing to sacrifice performance, weight, and quality for lower temps.

5. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    What MSI GS60 Ghost Pro? Has similar specs to the razer and a 3K screen version out soon and runs cooler...

6. Katagon

Katagon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not really a fair comparison, the y50 is nearly $1000 cheaper.

7. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    I don't think the OP cares about the money! He's gonna burn 3k if we wants to :p

8. Katagon

Katagon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  9. XxxKing YBxxX

XxxKing YBxxX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would wait for the 4k version of the y50 and get that considering your budget

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

10. Sanarae

Sanarae Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Would do exactly what XxxKing YBxxX says. Personally I don't like Razer's are worth much money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.