Razer Blade 14" (1060 GPU/late 2016) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by reloader-1, Oct 12, 2016.

1. scpres

scpres Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

hello, how about that one that wont boot to ssd and wont boot to windows? whats the usual fix on that?

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No clue, can be all kinds of things, from a broken installation to a dead SSD or even a faulty motherboard. You need to try to reinstall windows or use a different SSD.

3. sproyd

sproyd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    PSA: IC Diamond 7 appears to have dried out after 2 years and my temps were rocketing back up. I went to repaste today with a new tube (my old one had also dried up even with lid on), and can post the results below. I had to clean thoroughly with Arcticlean (much more than with a normal TIM) and use the full tube to paste the CPU, GPU and various chips given how much gap there is between heat sink and die on the RB. I did notice some very slight scratching from the initial IC Diamond 7 on my die from last time, but nothing too alarming and certainly not like the horror stories you hear.

Pre-repaste after 2 years of IC Diamond 7
    Firestrike score 9173 (average) with CPU peak temp 88C and GPU peak temp 84C; Cool fan profile.

Fresh repaste with full new tube of IC Diamond 7
    Firestrike score 9333 (average) with CPU peak temp 71C and GPU peak temp 74C; Cool fan profile.

Pre-repaste using external eGPU with MSI RTX2070 Super
    Firestrike score 13,684 (average) with CPU peak temp 78C and external GPU peak temp 68C; Cool fan profile.
    Firestrike score 13,567 (single) with CPU peak temp 85C and external GPU peak temp 67C; Quiet fan profile

Fresh repaste using external eGPU with MSI RTX2070 Super
    Firestrike score 13,782 (average) with CPU peak temp 61C and external GPU peak temp 69C; Cool fan profile
    Firestrike score 13,731 (single) with CPU peak temp 68C and external GPU peak temp 70C; Quiet fan profile

Conclusion: Monitor your CPU and GPU temps frequently with a comparable benchmark and re-paste as necessary to maintain thermal performance. Also this goes to show an external eGPU will not just get you higher levels of graphical performance but will materially lower your CPU temps due to the shared heatsink with the dGPU - resulting in better CPU performance and extending the lifecycle of the Blade. Also, Cool fan profile shaves off about 7C in temps vs Quiet.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020