Razer Blade 14" (1060 GPU/late 2016) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by reloader-1, Oct 12, 2016.

1. sproyd

sproyd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah EC version is v4 so the latest. I self-diagnosed the problem as GPU-throttling, which surprisingly seems to kick-in as low as 78C.

I've since completed several repastes. It turns out IC Diamond 7 works a treat on these machines, possibly because the heatsinks are crap in terms of chip contact, in particular the GPU heatsink is a terrible design as the heatpipes have gaps in the contact with the GPU, creating air gaps.

The below is my final results running Firestrike at stock clocks
    - FireStrike score 9358 (QHD+ model @ native resolution)
    - CPU Max Temp 71C
    - GPU Max Temp 73C
    And settings:
    - Heavy pasting of IC Diamond on both CPU and GPU. I started with a pea size blob, but following being a bit more liberal in line with guidance I read elsewhere the temps went down. Substantially better results than Kryonaut.
    - CPU Undervolt 150 on Core/Ring in BIOS
    - Laptop elevated a few inches for fan clearance (about 5-6C diff)
    - CPU Power settings at 99% to prevent boost clocks and associated higher temps
    - ASPM Disabled in BIOS
    - CPU and GPU clocks all stock
    - v2.00 modified BIOS, v4.00 EC
    - Razer Synapse in Cool Mode

Higher scores over 10K can be achieved with
    - C States Disabled in BIOS
    - RAM overclocking
    - GPU Core/RAM Overclocking
    - CPU power settings 100% to allow boost
    However, all of these settings have serious compromises (either heat, power usage, longevity of components) which are not worth it IMHO.

2. Gebirgskuchen

Gebirgskuchen Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey,

I tried to flash the Bios of my Geforce 1060 Laptop on my Late 2016 Razer Blade.

I followed this Guide using Version 5.287: https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1523391-easy-nvflash-guide-pictures-gtx-970-980-a.html

Unfortunetaly I always get the error message that no NVIDIA Device could be found.

Hope, you can help me out here.

Thanks in advance!

3. JungleWork

JungleWork Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I started an account here to try and make sense of my blade and why I can't seem to get the temperatures down. I have tried to undervolt my laptop with throttlestop and I can't seem to get proper temperatures. I still drift into the 90s and I even went out to get a cooling pad.

What settings have people been able to get undervolting this model of Razer? It is doing my head in. I had the core, cache and gpu all at -125 and it seemed ok, but then I started messing with the other stuff like C1E, Disable Turbo and Speed Shift.

Can anyone please share their settings?

4. calj17

calj17 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have a razer blade 14 2016 with nvidia 1060gtx and Intel HD 530 Integrated.

i was using my laptop plugged via hdmi in my 4k tv with intel hd 530 disabled from control panel in Windows 10 1803 to improve peformance and remove lag while browsing the web and watching videos at 4k 60 hz at the TV. So I removed the laptop from tv and when I went to control panel to enable intel hd 530 the notebook freezed and went blackscreen.

I tried reinstall the intel drivers latest version, it continues to freeze with a blackscreen where nothing shows and I can move the mouse cursor.

So i tried making a windows 10 clean install but if I try to install the intel GPU driver then my screen turns black, and the only way to use my computer again is to uninstall the intel GPU from Safe Mode. The problem is using the notebook with intel gpu disabled i cannot adjust notebook screen bright and the screen is too lag and slow response to the commands.

The same problem happens if I don't block Windows update, as it is trying to update the driverformattings of intel GPU.

The other GPU, a NVIDIA 1060gtx, is working without problem if a plug the notebook via HDMI to play games on the TV but if I try to play games using the notebook monitor I get very low frame rates.

I tried a lot of solutions but nothing fixes the problem (reinstalling everything in different orders, BIOS reset to factory values, clean install windows 10), but nothing change the problem.

Is my integrated intel GPU dead or defective? Is this a software or hardware problem?

I was searching the internet and saw a lot of people had this problem with different brands of pcs and notebooks but i could not find a fix for me.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  5. CSHawkeye81

CSHawkeye81 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So just got the bill for some work around the house and sadly will have to return my Razer blade 15. I was wondering if I get a RB 14 7700hq/1060 for $1000, would it serve as a nice secondary machine?

6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Yes, it's still a fine machine so long as you make proper cooling adjustments and undervolting.

7. CSHawkeye81

CSHawkeye81 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What cooling adjustmentsyou recommend?

8. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    repaste with high quailty thermal paste, new thermal pads of higher quality, elevate the laptop when gaming to get better air flow, undervolt the CPU and GPU.