Razer Blade 14" (1060 GPU/late 2016) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by reloader-1, Oct 12, 2016.

1. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yup. Already installed. Installed Synapse 2.0 today, too. So far, so good there.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. Dan@Dan

Dan@Dan Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Could one wrap those pads around the heatsink in the CPU area to bridge the gap? seems to do a decent job in heattransfer.

3. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    I'm actually curios as to how well that would work in laptops since most laptop CPUs don't have a heatspreader like desktops.

Vasudev, Vistar Shook and hmscott like this.
  4. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    From the early testers here in the forum, the results don't look that promising, at least on laptops. Soon there will be more users to confirm.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...share_tid=815439&share_fid=33462&share_type=t

Enviado de meu Pixel 2 usando o Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  5. NatsuSirius

NatsuSirius Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. I've just recently acquired an RB 2016 6700HQ 1060 and I plan to flash the 1060 vbios version 6.06.41.00.0a.
    I found a link on another thread but it's a deadlink.
    Can someone reupload it? Thanks in advance!

6. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    what for? makes no difference.

7. vic555

vic555 Newbie

Reputations:
    It would be nice if after all this time with this model being out, if we could compile a list of tips/tricks/mods that may be useful to people and have as a reference for the future.

As an example:
    - undervolting tips and stable settings people have found (while mileage differs, having some idea is better than none)
    - BD PROCHOC off
    - Bios unlocking, and which settings matter
    - GPU overclocking
    - RAM overclocking
    - screen profiles (i use the adobe RGB one, which is way better than stock)
    - wifi tweaks
    - misc.

sproyd and Vistar Shook like this.
  8. sproyd

sproyd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently updated to the v2.02 Spectre/Meltdown BIOS via official Razer Update Utililty and now I am having performance issues with high CPU temps (i.e. > 90C) and CPU throttling - even without the GPU running.

I'd very much like to roll-back to v2.00 BIOS but unfortunately I did not dump that BIOS before using the official Razer Utility to flash the new v2.02 BIOS. Strangely, the updater also rolled back my EC from 4.0 to 2.0 (which I subsequently had to re-update). I've contacted Razer support but as their is no "official" way to roll-back an official BIOS update I'm stuck.

All the links for v2.00 BIOSes I've found online are dead - does anyone have a copy of their .rom BIOS (modded is fine) that I can use to flash mine, or can take a copy using AFUwin64?

Edit - sorted it:
    • Here is a link to a v2.00 BIOS
    • Here is the EC updater (as flashing to v2.02 BIOS reverted me from EC 4.0 to EC 2.0)
    • And here is a VBIOS for the 1060 from the 2017 Kaby Lake Razer Blade. This BIOS is fully compatible with the Late 2016 Razer Blade and in fact, actually improved my FireStrike score by about +300 with no other changes. So 100% worth doing in my opinion (flash using nvflash method - guide here)
    • I also managed to get a >10K Fire Strike score as follows (i) BIOS 2.0 EC 4.0 (ii) ASPM Off (iii) C States Disabled (iv) -150UV on CPU (v) -90UV on GT (vi) 2,394MHz RAM overclock (vii) RAM timings set to 15-15-15-35 (viii) KabyLake VBIOS from above (ix) 175Mhz GPU core overclock (x) 600Mhz GPU memory overclock
    • However, for normal use and to avoid high temps/longevity issues I recommend just updating all the BIOS/EC as above, and applying an undervolt to the CPU and correct RAM timings. Don't leave C states disabled and probably a GPU overclock is not going to be good for the machine in the long run

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  9. sproyd

sproyd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    my big problem now is I seem to be getting some sort of (presumably) CPU Throttling while playing Witcher 3. A very demanding game for sure, and taxing on both CPU and GPU, but I get sudden and severe frame rate drops including during rendered cut scenes. It seems to be some sort of PROCHOT signal throttling the CPU as the CPU is not getting over low 80s (with a -150UV) and GPU remains high 70s.... I can't work it out and Throttlestop doesn't seem to help either.

Has anyone worked out a way to disable any kind of non-Intel system CPU throttling in the BIOS?

10. Gebirgskuchen

Gebirgskuchen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you check your EC Firmware Version?