Razer Blade 14" (1060 GPU/late 2016) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by reloader-1, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How hard is it to unlock the Bios? Any risk of bricking the machine?

2. Rideass

Rideass Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's super easy, if you know what you are doing.

Actually found this guy now on the insider forum who has it explained pretty well and links to the tools you need.
    https://insider.razerzone.com/index.php?threads/razer-blade-2016-bios-mod.14368/

By the way, there is no need to go through all those options and unlock them one by one as that guy suggests. Just change one single option to get them listed. Very minor change. See attachment.

Regarding the bricking, if you have no clue how to reset the BIOS to default by removing the RTC/CMOS battery - well I would suggest stay away. The flash itself it pretty damn harmless. Personally I have never failed an update in 20 years.

Risk/reward. Take a chance, win or lose.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will this work with the 2017 Blade as well? I'd love to be able to undervolt the cpu in the bios rather than XTU. All you have to do is change that one line to "show all items" to "user" ?

Vistar Shook likes this.
  4. Rideass

Reputations:
    Pretty sure yes, would not imagine Razer changed anything much except the CPU package and the RAM chips. That said, I do not own a 2017 model so I have no way of being sure.

On another note, does anyone have a modded vBIOS for the GTX 1060? Would love to get control over GPU voltage, max TDP etc.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. xXHeadyXx

xXHeadyXx Newbie

Reputations:
    congrats on your success :p hope we maybe see some more bios mods tweaks fixes :p sounds interesting
    what i think would be interesting is what happens when you fake your device to be the 2017 version ( in a way that synapse lets you controll the fans with the auto high and silent option :p who knows if it works :p )

Vistar Shook likes this.
  6. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    I think the fan profile on the skylake version after the update might be better than the kabylake one. True that even after the update, the fans are still running on idle while the kabylake is completely off....but on the skylake the fans only ramp up when the cpu reaches 70 degrees while on kabylake that happens at a lower temperature so many report the annoying pulsating fan, where it comes on then off then on again depending on how the machine is being used.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    Just out of curiosity....I will be repasting my machine in a month or so....just to see if there is any temperature difference. I am opting for kryonaut for now since I don't have enough experience to try the liquid metal yet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

8. Rideass

Reputations:
    I would not attempt to flash the 2017 BIOS, might be a lot of minor differences in the ACPI tables etc that could cause total disaster and be impossible to recover from. But yes, I might be willing to try this later this year as its very easy to restore any changes. Not sure how synapse detects the machine if it uses the serial no, or part asset tags. Should be easy enough to spoof, do not believe Synapse is smart enough to poll CPU config etc.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  9. Rideass

Reputations:
    I would be willing to try if someone gave me a DMI dump and a dump of their BIOS from a 2017 machine.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. republicofsam

republicofsam Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You guys might be able to dump the memory and write the IFR variables directly to CMOS from a grub boot disk with the set variable command. That would allow you to change just about any Firmware setting without needing to rewrite the EUFI chip. Plus, you can just reset the CMOS memory and leave no trace. I know it works as I was able to overclock and modify/unlock the hard coded TDP limits in the Surface Pro 3's uneditable firmware. You should also be able to modify the fan curve if the settings are present.

As an example as to the things you can modify, I'll link in a .txt dump of my SP3 IFR. Simple as changing a few numbers.

Would anyone who unlocked the BIOS please post a picture of the options that are unlocked for the CPU/Memory/Chipset stuff?

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Lozz and Vistar Shook like this.