Razer Blade 14" (1060 GPU/late 2016) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by reloader-1, Oct 12, 2016.

1. VanishEffect

VanishEffect Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ordered using my Costco credit card which comes with a 2 year warranty after the manufacture's expires. I'm hoping this is the same as purchasing an extended warranty.....I hope to never find out.

2. Firebat246

Firebat246 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I didn't wait and ordered from Razer. Especially because MS store probably won't offer the FHD model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Lunatics

Lunatics Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone know from experience how long it took previous Blades to make their way to Microsofts websites or retail stores? Every day I find myself browsing various Blade forums and threads and reading reviews and watching them and the more I do the more I just want to get it over with and commit and buy it lol. Is it usually a week? A month? I cannot get any information from MS or the rep I was speaking to at the store and according to them they haven't heard anything about getting new ones and his go to resource to check is their website...

Just wondering if at this point if I want it asap if I'm better off just taking the risk and ordering from the Razer store and hoping nothing happens, and I guess then I have a shorter warranty to hold onto my 256gb ssd for before I put it in another machine?

4. bradleyjb

bradleyjb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, turns out I spoke too soon about never having any issues. My 2015 is showing weird spots on the LCD panel. Looks like pressure points from the keyboard and in front of the logo. I'm really thankful for that two year warranty from MS and will be taking it there tomorrow. Think I'm going to wait until they have it again.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5. Makyura

Makyura Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just RMAed my 2015 for the same issue; it looks like it happens due to heat, I used to plug in my external motinor while at home, closing the lid, and it has probably heated up the display till those spots happened to appear.

Even just closing the lid right after a gaming session might cause it, probably.

I sent it over for repair, along with a MB substitution request cause of an AC plug problem, but they tried saying the display was fine, so I kept insisting and they said they will "check on it" before sending my unit back.

Note that most of the spots were visible only on white backgrounds and from huge angles of view, while one could bee seen even looking directly on any kind of clear background.. Yet they didn't "notice" it at the very begin, even if I added an "issues" list to the package.

bradleyjb likes this.
  6. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would like to see full HWinfo on the CPU core clocks and CPU temperatures after at least 5 minutes of Prime95. Seems like this kind of basic information is hard to find.

Eason and hmscott like this.
  7. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I had the same problem on my blade. Caused by heat of the chassis when you close the lid.

bradleyjb likes this.
  8. Firebat246

Firebat246 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I make it a practice to let the laptop cool down a bit and never shut it off right after gaming session and close lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bradleyjb and hmscott like this.
  9. bradleyjb

bradleyjb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yep, that's exactly it. Though you can see them as darker spots when looking straight forward, so fairly obvious in my case. Just in case though, thats why I decided to take it in and not mail it in. Fortunately I have an MS Store nearby.

Thing is, I dont even game on it much. Problem I have is that I close the lid or explicitly put it to sleep before putting it into my bag, then find out an hour later that it woke for some reason and is running full blast fans and hot inside my laptop bag. But thank you and @Eason for confirming the cause. If/when I get a new one, guess I will let it col and shut it all the way down.

Update: Went by the MS Store and no issues at all. They immediately saw the problem and agreed to let me swap out for any laptop in the store. Unfortunately the closest they had was an MSI GS73VR which while nice, is too big (I already have a DTR). So I will be patient, and hopefully they will get the Pascal Blades by the holidays and I can swap out then. If you have any choice at all, I definitely recommend waiting for MS and buying from them.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    hmscott likes this.
  10. kachunkachunk

kachunkachunk Newbie

Reputations:
    I do get this, yeah. You get it during Battery info polling and I think when accessing some functions in GeForce Experience, so it might very well be some kind of firmware/SMI event kicking off for a second or so. I want to find out a bit more about what's going on.