Razer Blade 14" (1060 GPU/late 2016) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by reloader-1, Oct 12, 2016.

1. reloader-1

reloader-1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The 512gb QHD+ Razer Blade is now in stock on Razerzone.

Thanks to @bradleyjb for the heads up on this!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    bradleyjb likes this.
  2. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Question for you owners. Do you experience any stuttering on the mouse or trackpad when the GPU switches? A good way to check is by left clicking on the battery icon to bring up the battery percentage and moving your mouse right away after. If the mouse pointer stalls to move, that's what I'm talking about. It's also noticeable when opening certain programs that cause the dGPU to check in.

Only reason I'm bringing this up is because this is one of the few other 1060/Optimus laptops out there and the MSI GS series are all suffering from this issue. I'd like to know if it's an MSI issue or if it's a Optimus/1060 issue. Thanks in advance.

3. bradleyjb

bradleyjb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any thoughts on whether there will be a refresh after CES 2017? Or in the spring? I assume Kabylake is a given at some point, but I guess it depends on how much of a drop in it is. Then there are rumors of Nvidia doing a Pascal refresh 20XX series as well. Normally I wouldn't wait on technology, but I just happen to not be in a rush this time, and can go either way. I don't mind waiting until February, but probably wouldn't until May or June like this year.

4. reloader-1

reloader-1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Razer is sometimes iffy on just CPU upgrades, I think that if they do a Kaby Lake refresh it won't be out until March or so, which in effect means most buyers will receive laptops around early May.

CPU performance tends to not change radically generation to generation, and I think this will be doubly so as Kaby Lake is the first "second tock" from Intel.

5. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Considering they just released the 1050, I wouldn't expect Pascal 20XX until late next year. It's possible Razer will do a rolling refresh of the Razer Blade with Kaby Lake though. Normally they have been once a year, but they mentioned to me that they are trying to be more competitive and quick to the market with new tech. Hopefully they keep it up.

6. reloader-1

reloader-1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I pre-ordered my 256gb FHD Blade 14" in the first wave in September, about 5 mins after pre-orders opened.

Supposedly, my shipping date is the 14th and I'll gladly do a mini review here. Not too many benchmarks other than Witcher 3, as I won't have the HD space to install and try a bunch of games.

7. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Please let us know the cpu/gpu temps under load

8. reloader-1

reloader-1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Will do! I've been charged already, so it's just a matter of time now.

9. elathen

elathen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just ordered an FHD 1TB model.

I heard the Razers fall apart pretty easily. Nevertheless couldn't resist so looking into a 3rd party warranty as well.

Should I square trade it or would you make any other suggestions here?

10. Firebat246

Firebat246 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fall apart? I couldn't disagree more... sometimes people complain of battery longevity but otherwise these are built solid. Warranty never hurts but don't think they are cheap either:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk