Razer BIOS Mods - Potential to Unlock All Hidden Options

Discussion in 'Razer' started by stranula, Nov 10, 2019.

1. stranula

stranula Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If changing the cfg lock options to USER in AMIBCP doesn't work, then just enable them the same way as described in the first post of this thread. I've got it enable on my Blade 15 mid 2019, so its definitely doable.

amihail91 likes this.
  2. gnwjd12

gnwjd12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    not sure why but even if i change in the AMIBCIP and change cfglock to user and flash the bios i do not see any option for cfglock. Hence i cant even change it in the bios. If i change the failsafe to Diabled and optimal to disabled it doesnt seem to boot. any idea why?

3. stranula

Reputations:
    You will need to follow the first post in this thread to enable the option by changing the "suppress if"s that are relevant to the option you want. Itc definitely be done, just follow the instructions carefully and you'll be able to do it.

4. gnwjd12

Reputations:
    when you say first post on the thread, do you mean this http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...f-your-razer-blade-w-no-pl-throttling.827919/
    or are you talking about the original post

5. gnwjd12

Reputations:
    looking through the ifr, cfg lock doesnt have suppress if
    only have
    Setting: CFG Lock, Variable: 0x6F0 {05 91 B6 03 B7 03 B9 01 01 00 F0 06 10 10 00 01 00}
    0x359A0 Option: Disabled, Value: 0x0 {09 07 04 00 00 00 00}
    0x359A7 Option: Enabled, Value: 0x1 {09 07 03 00 30 00 01}

6. stranula

Reputations:
    Do you have the options above the CFG Lock set to user also? So on Power and Performance, you need CPU - Power Management set to USER. Then on CPU- Power Management you need CPU Lock Configuration set to USER.

7. ViperGeek

ViperGeek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for putting so much time and effort into this Razer BIOS mod. I'm positive I could've never figured it out without this guide.

I already modified my BIOS .rom file according to this post, and everything went smoothly. However, I will say, I get a serious case of flop sweat as the image is being burned back into the BIOS with AFUWINGUIx64. And that leads me to my question:

If, for some unforeseen reason, the BIOS write fails or the write works but the BIOS won't boot, is there a standard ways -- say, booting from USB -- to recover a cooked BIOS image?

I don't doubt that following these instructions will work, but I always like to have a "get out of jail" option.

Thanks!

- Dave

8. ViperGeek

Reputations:
    One more follow-up question, if I may.

My primary interest in following these instructions is to be able to set the Core Voltage Offset to 0 (disable Razer's pre-shipped -100mV undervolting). Currently, I'm using the Intel XTU service in Windows, but it's a bit of a race condition between the undervolting reset and a BSOD before the XTUOCDriverService runs.

Standing on the shoulders of greatness, I made further modifications to my BIOS .rom file:

[​IMG]

(alternate location of image: https://photos.app.goo.gl/N2fPnW9ZQhAfaBMk9)

Does anyone see any problem with being able to reach this menu on a Blade 15 Advanced (mid 2019)?

- Dave

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  9. No0B

No0B Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @ViperGeek, as I've written a few pages back, you're only editing the menus here. Nothing is happening to the other parts of the BIOS. Just don't offset any bytes, because that will offset everything in the menu after it, and that's something I'd not like to try. Theoretically there should be automatic padding done by UEFITool when assembling the rom back together to preserve the byte locations for all the other modules in the BIOS, but I'm not so sure about that. Better make your edits in a way that doesn't add, but only changes bytes.

As far as I know there's no BIOS flashback on Razer laptops. Or at least no known key combination and BIOS file on a flash drive way. Razer themselves may have their ways without pulling out hardware flashers.

Don't confuse a bricked BIOS with simply not booting due to messed up settings. In the latter case you'd do a CMOS reset by disconnecting the the battery and the CMOS battery on the motherboard and pressing the power button a few times and waiting a few seconds. In the former case, you'll likely get nothing from the machine, even after doing a hundred CMOS resets. That's where you'd get help from a professional, or a soldering iron and a little tip, or, if you don't want to solder, a little clamp for the BIOS chip on the Blade 15 (really nothing special about it), and a Raspberry Pi with software, or a special programmer (comes with the clamp I linked there). The chip also has an enlightening data sheet that says which way to clip the clamp on or where to solder which wires.

10. ViperGeek

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for the detailed and informative reply, @No0B. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain and clarify the mitigated risk of editing the menus vs. other types of corruption. I've read so many stories about RB users simply applying a BIOS update and ending up with an expensive coaster. Call me paranoid, but I wanted to ensure my extracurricular edits weren't going to result in an RMA ... or worse.
    Gotcha. Several other posts from non-Razer laptop owners mentioned reverting back to a backup copy of their BIOS. I was curious if we had the same safety net.
    ACK. I'm hoping to avoid both cracking my two-week-old laptop open to pull the CMOS battery and finding a local tech or returning it to the factory. But given the information you shared above, I'm much more confident -- barring any acts of God or the power company -- about reflashing my BIOS.

- Dave