Razer BIOS Mods - Potential to Unlock All Hidden Options

Discussion in 'Razer' started by stranula, Nov 10, 2019.

1. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure it's the damn PL1 throttle that Razer forces on these chips. Pretty sure it PL1 throttles at 45W and almost never reaches the 60W or 80W turbo that the chips are normally instructed to. I've also have never recorded this chip hitting 5GHz, and I mean ever.

4W4K3 likes this.
  2. MezZo_Mix

MezZo_Mix Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    that’s so true. I never see more than 35-38w of CPU usage while gaming. Never saw anything close of 60-80W the highest clock I ever saw was 4,7GHz for a millisecond.

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I see, that makes sense then. I think the 8750H is close to 60W on some loads even with a -190mV undervolt! There is definitely some potential there if you can remove that PL1 power or time limit.

4. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'
    As far as I know, the only way currently to remove that is using a hardware programmer to completely open up the bios to change hidden settings, plus a couple of registry hacks to bypass synapse power plans.

5. Steelbeak

Steelbeak Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the help. Finally i got atleast TS unlocked! Wonder why XTU still is semi-locked. Any ideas? I have more options available, but still like 70% are greyed out. Now I can finally start tweaking this monstrosity to its meant-to-be glory.

6. pdudas

pdudas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As I mentioned earlier:

For some reason only XTU ver. 6.5.2.40 works fine with UV. Maybe you have the same issue.

(today I tried W11 - and latest XTU has all core/cache UV greyed out. Put back old SSD with W10 - 6.5.2.40 works fine. So it is a software issue with newer XTU versions).

7. Alex Jetan

Alex Jetan Newbie

Reputations:
    Dear experienced users of notebook review,

I just received my CH314a programmer today and would like someone to guide me on how to fully unlock the Razer Blade 15 2020 (Base Model) that I own and turn into the beast machine that it is supposed to be.

I have went through some guides on how to do this process but I do not have the confidence to tamper with my device and therefore I am in search of someone with high experience who can guide me along all the steps of the way on what I need to do to achieve a successful and safe unlocking and hopefully undervolting of my device so I can take full advantage of its abilities.

I am willing to offer a financial gain in return for your help throughout this process.

If you are interested in helping me achieve this, please write me an email at svenozalas@gmail.com so we can discuss further details.

Thanks again.

8. Steelbeak

Steelbeak Newbie

Reputations:
    In a lot of guides and YT-videos people tend to want to keep CPU Core and CPU Cache on the same undervolt, why is this? Is it bad to have them on different voltages?

Take my Razer Blade 15 for example, my CPU Cache seems to be having issues with going lower than -0.096mV, so keeping both Core and Cache at the same voltages limits me indirectly to an undervolt of said mV. However, I can keep going on my CPU Core, been all the way down to -0.175mV without benchmark errors. I haven't tried lower yet, but CPU Core at -0.175mV and CPU Cache at -0.096mV is still as far as I know and tested a stable undervolt for my i7 10750H.

Im just concerned Im doing something bad/wrong.

9. MezZo_Mix

MezZo_Mix Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What I read, it depends on the laptop. It isn’t something bad that would damage your system. Some say you need to set the same offset otherwise the laptop will ignore the offset.

I have a cache offset of -94mv and a offset of -116mv on the core. You also shouldn’t maxedout the cache offset because it could lower the potential of undervolting for the core. When I set my cache to -100mv I only can get like -90mv on core etc.

Just find a stable cache offset and then go as high as possible for the core. If the laptop isn’t overriding the settings, just shut it down completely and start again.

Steelbeak likes this.
  10. desperate_measures

desperate_measures Newbie

Reputations:
    I managed to unlock my bios and set both CFG lock and Overclocking Lock to USER/disabled/disabled now, but I have some questions on proper undervolting:
    • Apparently I can undervolt with throttlestop only, not with XTU (newest version). Voltage offset is just greyed out, am I missing something here?
    • In throttlestop, I can set voltage offsets to -90.8 mV for both core & cache. Beyond that, my laptop just freezes in fire strike. I see some of you go further with the core offset. So the proper way to undervolt is to find the limit for cache 1st (while going to the same offset with core), then leave cache at a stable level and go further with core? Is this correct?
    • I read somewhere that offsets applied with throttlestop are somehow saved even during reboots. How exactly is it doing that?
    • If I do a cold boot, is the undervolting still active? Or do I have to start throttlestop first?