Razer BIOS Mods - Potential to Unlock All Hidden Options

Discussion in 'Razer' started by stranula, Nov 10, 2019.

1. TriBeard

TriBeard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What config do you have for your blade? I'm curious if that's what synapse is gating releases by.

2. gibber75

gibber75 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Razer Blade Advanced 2020 RTX 2080 Super MQ with 1080p 300Hz screen.

I dont think its because of the configuration.
    Only the screen is different from yours.
    I tried different VPN locations, but only when I was conneted through a Japanese VPN server it worked.

I did exactly this:

I did not check for updates throgh my installed Synapse software.
    I downloaded the Synapse Installer from Razer website.

http://rzr.to/synapse-3-pc-download

When I started the Installer while beeing connected to German or US VPN locations the installer indicated that I had already installed the latest Version.
    Only when I was connected to a Tokio VPN and started the installer a newer version than mine was offered.

Maybe you try these steps (if you habe a VPN software).

3. TriBeard

Reputations:
    Tried that, and it does install synapse again, but it appears to install the same version. The only reason I wonder if they're gating it by model or something (at least as part of the initial rollout) is that as far as I know only the people with the 300hz screens have gotten the upgrade/prompt. I have the OLED. I'm also mad you guys get the mux switch and for some reason we don't, but that's another issue lol.

4. gibber75

Reputations:
    Since the last windows update its not possible anymore to use the dedicated GPU with the 300Hz model (and also other Razer models).
    If you activate that in the bios or Synapse there is only a black screen.
    Razer is working on that issue they say.
    Only Optimus is working right now.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  5. dark_skeleton

dark_skeleton Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Regarding the Boost / 55W performance mode: You don't need to run the installer or whatever. That's a waste of time (10 minutes+ for me as I have a few devices connected). All that's needed is to use VPN to connect to a region that's whitelisted (as I said, Japan from my experience) and check for updates from Synapse itself. Maaybe log out and restart Synapse (not sure if that was relevant). Don't waste time reinstalling, it will take ages. See https://www.reddit.com/r/razer/comments/i0k3pa/new_cpu_boost_performance_mode_firmware_update/

Regarding the screen going black - it's a GeForce driver issue linked with the new Windows GPU scheduling. You're correct that Razer is aware but incorrect about "only optimus" working. All it takes to fix it is to roll back GPU drivers to pre-451.48 . See https://www.reddit.com/r/razer/comments/hjmm3k/razer_blade_15_psa_if_you_update_to_windows_v2004/

Good results, nice. I've been waiting for my programmer for a month now. Tracking has been saying "Arrived in local post office for delivery" for the past 2 weeks. Ugh.

They said it's just a country/region whitelist to limit servers' load

6. TriBeard

Reputations:
    I was finally able to update through the japanese VPN as well. My results don't seem as good as others though, I'm still around 3500 points even in the new mode with a -.120uv. What sustained clocks are you all seeing once you hit the 55w threshold? I'm at like, 3.3Ghz.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  7. Emtee_

Emtee_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Success so far on my Razer Blade Stealth 13” (2020) | RZ09-0310, managed to brick it at least (So writing works hehe) and managed to reflash the original bios I fetched beforehand. (Pfew)

Haven't actually done any modding yet but will do soon.

Edit1: Managed to flash modded bios with lot of unhidden options, overclocking menu not working out of the box. So gotta do more for that.

Edit2: Takes like 7 attempts with SOIC clamp before proper flash so its a bit tedious also less than <1mm of clearance until it hits unibody (ordered a better quality one but not sure when it arrives) Used some alcohol on the clamp and it seem to work better now. Also small SMD's very close to it so gotta watch out.

Managed to unlock overclocking menu! Now I will attempt to unhide everything else that is mostly relevant to unlock. Soon Synapse / ThrottleStop is no longer relevant (I hope). Just gotta see if adjusting fan stuff in BIOS has any effect (More aggressive)

Edit3: The mod is complete, all bios settings tweaked as well so I can close the laptop down. I'll do a writeup in case it might help anyone else soon.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    amihail91 and gibber75 like this.
  8. SUADE8880

SUADE8880 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If anyone can upload me the original bios 1.01 for 2020 Razer Blade 15 Advanced Super 2070 would be appreciated.
    After updating to 1.03 and did the Bios Mod still could not get undervolting back.:(

9. Emtee_

Emtee_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could it be intel microcode through MS updates?

10. gibber75

Reputations:
    You will not get the undervolt back through XTU or Throttlestop after the bios mod with a programmer.
    But you can unlock undervolt settings in the bios and modify these settings when your computer starts up and you boot into the modified bios.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    SUADE8880 likes this.