Razer BIOS Mods - Potential to Unlock All Hidden Options

Discussion in 'Razer' started by stranula, Nov 10, 2019.

1. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No just the VBIOS for the 1070 Max Q when I bricked it.

I've no reason to believe the GirlsNamexx-xxxx.bin file is not the whole BIOS.

Here is the "Updater.exe" decompiled - you can see all it is doing is running AFUWINx64.exe to flash the .bin file ...

upload_2020-3-5_19-15-50.png

EDIT: In fact, 16,384kb is all a chip can hold, why am I even doubting myself? :p

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  2. parawizard

parawizard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The batch file only updates portions of the chip. Check the command line switches if you want. The second half of the 16MB seems to be the main bios. If you do a backup with AFUWIN you will see that it backs up only the second half of the 16MB or 8MB.

The data in the first half may include machine specific data or data that is NOT in the area of the flash that the batch file updates. I would not suggest flashing the whole 16MB over top without taking a backup first. Loading it up you can see that there are three regions in the Charlotte file:

Descriptor region 4K
    ME region 8MB starting at 1000h
    BIOS region 8MB starting at 800000h

If your bios died flashing just the main bios you only want to write the 8MB chunk that you can export using UEFITool starting at offset 800000h. This is why when you use AFUWIN and backup a bios it knows where to restore it to. That would be an 8MB file starting at 800000h. Maybe this explanation will help you understand why I am asking and why it's important.

The manufacturer could have withheld some of the data that would be on the chip and read protected normally from being released in their bios update files.

3. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Give it a flash and tell us what happens.

4. parawizard

parawizard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unbricked by flashing v108. Updated ME afterwards. EC is already up to date.

The Charlotte bin in this case is a full bios. There is another bigger eeprom on the board at minimum. The system specific information is stored elsewhere as it is intact in the bios screen.

Can also confirm that the issue is the mainbios being written at offset of 0 instead of 8MB. So it overwrote the bios header block and into other functional parts of the first 8MB.

5. cae

cae Newbie

Reputations:
    First experience with Bios modding, yay!

Unfortunately I don't have amazing results with my early 2019 Blade Stealth.
    I unlocked the power delivery and yes, it now boosts higher more consistently but that also means it now consistently drains the battery during gaming. After about 2hrs I'm at 30% which is when it automatically downclocks the GPU.

I guess I need a better power brick.

On a side note, I also unlocked the Overclocking menu successfully. One issue though: as soon as I activate OC it doesn't boot any more, have to make reset with CMOS battery.
    There's 2 things I can think of:
    - the default timings/settings have not been set up correctly and as everything is zeroed it just instantly crashes
    - the Blade Stealth has LPDDR3, not DDR4. As far as I could deduce there is also no SPD chip installed, so the memory timings are handled differently than with a usual PC/laptop. They are probably hardcoded somewhere in the BIOS (maybe even the part which is not flashed during update) and setting the timings in the OC menu wouldn't do anything anyway.

So yeah, that's a shame. If anyone got it working I'd love to know too :)

6. Jakky

Jakky Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone been able to adjust their fan controls with the BIOS?

My fans turn on at around ~50C, which is really annoying since my temperatures fluctuate below and above the threshold to cause the fans to turn on and off constantly. To make things worse, my fans make a loud buzzing noise when starting, which is probably the only reason why I'm looking to raise the threshold. I'm also on the latest BIOS version and using Throttlestop to undervolt

I've pretty much followed this video (but maybe it only works for the 2017 models. I have the Razer Blade 15 Advanced)

And this is the only other resource I found (which talk about the same BIOS changes)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/razer/comments/asmkfa/razer_blade_15_2018_fan_control/

However, flashing the BIOS hasn't change anything on my laptop.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  7. Makyura

Makyura Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The BIOS settings does not work, the fans are controller by the EC firmware.

I haven't found a workaround yet for this and I've been looking for one for months, my problem being the opposite: I want 100% fans while on Performance mode, which doesn't happens anymore even at 100 C....

8. Angrybot

Angrybot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

If you have the modded BIOS - I don't think there's actually any benefit to using performance mode, right?

Can't you just leave it in balanced mode, set the fans manually, and enjoy full performance through your BIOS mods?

9. Makyura

Makyura Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sure, but I have the feeling that 5300 isn't actually the max speed as I remember fans being louder in performance mode, back when the fan curve was decently tuned.

10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I wonder if Dell's 130W USB-C adapter would work for you.