Razer BIOS Mods - Potential to Unlock All Hidden Options

Discussion in 'Razer' started by stranula, Nov 10, 2019.

1. parawizard

parawizard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a bricked Razer blade 15 2018 with a 1070. Going to try to recover the bios. Was wondering if anyone has a full dump done with a reader that I can refer to or use?

2. stranula

stranula Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How did it brick? I have no experience with an SPI programmer, so can't help there, but curious what happened

3. parawizard

Reputations:
    I believe it bricked on 1.05 to 1.08 update

4. stranula

stranula Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You pulled the battery and CMOS battery for a while to make sure it reset? There are also some tools for booting from USB to do a BIOS flash. Haven't tried any of them with the Razer, but worth giving a shot if you're already bricked.

5. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You could find the original BIOS for your machine in the Razer Drivers - extract the BIOS update exe with 7zip to a folder, the BIOS is in there called Charlotte1_0108.bin

If you don't have computer access I could extract it for you and upload it somewhere. :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  6. parawizard

Reputations:
    I will be giving it another go later this week. Though I am fairly sure it has already been tried.

I do not believe there is any bios recovery enabled on the blade. I didn't see any options in the bios for recovery from usb or hard drive or any mention of any filenames or extensions normally used.

I do have some experience reflashing.

Thanks for the offer. I already have it and I have the partial AFI flash tool dump of the chip from a working laptop found here on the forum. I am not sure if the Charlotte file really is a whole bios. The update tools only flash certain sections depending on which update specifically. The whole 16MB is likely missing machine specific and/or Intel me or other things not included in the update file. We will see though. Hopefully the chip still retains any manufacturer programmed portions and I can just reflash the broken part/main bios.

7. amihail91

Reputations:
    The Charlotte file is for sure the whole BIOS, open it up with AMIBCP! Intel ME is definitely a different file but I don't remember my 2018 RB15 having ME firmware.

8. parawizard

Reputations:
    I have. It's the right size and what it contains is valid but I am not sure it's all there compared to a full dump. Charlotte file certainly contains the whole main bios but unsure about the first half. It doesn't erase the whole chip for updates but only a section that it's reflashing. Have you manually restored with the bin from a bios update?

9. amihail91

Reputations:
    Yes.

10. parawizard

Reputations:
    You've flashed the whole 16MB to the flash chip with a programmer?