Razer BIOS Mods - Potential to Unlock All Hidden Options

Discussion in 'Razer' started by stranula, Nov 10, 2019.

1. No0B

No0B Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's perfectly understandable, given your machine is only a few weeks old and a bricked BIOS would cost you some money to RMA.

You're in luck that this is a laptop. It has two power sources, so if one fails, the other can keep going. Given your reassembled BIOS ROM isn't botched, is precisely 8 Mebibytes in size (8.388.608 Bytes as reported by Windows), and is verified successfully by AfuWin, you shouldn't face any problems. Make sure to exit XTU and other apps that may modify the BIOS at runtime and also close their services and background processes, since they theoretically could reserve writing rights to the BIOS chip while you're about to flash. Not very likely, but technically a possibility. Also make sure the machine receives power via the power adapter because, while flashing, power saving features are disabled and you'd generally want to rule out the battery as a factor for stability reasons while the flashing process is going. The rest is explained in great detail in @stranula's guide.

2. ViperGeek

ViperGeek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks to my newfound confidence after reading @No0B's reply, I flashed my updated menu .rom file, and successfully uncovered the OC Performance and Processor voltage menus:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, it looks like I only managed to uncover/modify the CPU Cache offset, and not the CPU Core offset:

[​IMG]

Does anyone know where I may have gone wrong?

Both Intel XTU and ThrottleStop services are disabled (although still installed) and so shouldn't be messing with my settings.

- Dave

3. stranula

stranula Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am just seeing these posts from the last few days. I'm glad that No0b was able to help you out. I am looking into your question about core vs cache offsets now.

*UPDATE*
    I looked into it and my RB15 acts the same way. I couldn't find any way around it

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    ViperGeek likes this.
  4. ViperGeek

ViperGeek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for researching this idiosyncrasy for me. Guess I'll stick to ThrottleStop run early in the boot sequence for now.

If anyone's conquered this issue, please let me know.

- Dave

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @stranula any ideas what this new setting is under Memory Overclocking? It says its only available in 1T mode but I'm not sure what pushing it up would achieve/potentially break.

upload_2020-2-15_17-33-27.png