Ray tracing another BS

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Danishblunt, Nov 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koniptn

Koniptn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Yea, I'm not falling for it. I've got a 1080ti and a 980ti in my desktop, and I'm perfectly satisfied with the performance out of them. The 1080ti rocks socks, and honestly, I'm a 2k guy, not a 4k, so I'm not worried about nailing 144fps at 4k. 144 @ 2k is more than enough, and the 1080ti definitely hits that spot, at least on games where the engine isn't complete and utter garbo

Sigh. I miss the days of the Radeon HD 290x. That was AMD's last great, competitive card. Excellent performer, and still relevant even today. After that, they just did a HAWAII XT re-release with the 390x, and then completely tanked. Fury was ****, Vega is an absolute bomb, and the 580/590 **** they're trying to pull now is just a rehash of tech from 2012.

It seems when AMD does well in one field, they completely tank in the other. Hopefully, with the new market share they've got from the Ryzen success, they're able to rebuild their GPU division and actually force nVidia to stop being twats.

I only made the switch to intel/nVidia because AMD started to suffer hard in the CPU field, then their GPUs started slowly tanking

2. Koniptn

Reputations:
    Hey, mr fox, sorry to derail this thread, but is there a way to PM you? I've got a question, but it looks like your PMs are off

3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    all software runs on hardware.....I honestly don't know how to take you guys anymore...its like lights on but nobodys home

4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I used to respect you guys.....but now I realize your not half as smart as you appear

5. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    cold day in hell when i reply to you.

edit i stopped posting frequently after you guys declared nvidia geforce now obsolete when its the future....really now.....even linus agrees

6. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Do you enjoy talking to yourself?

7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I hope the irony of this post is not lost on anyone.

8. Koniptn

Reputations:
    Yea, it really bothers me how they tried to market the Titan RTX. 2500 dollars is legit like 2 really high powered gaming PCs. And they actually expect normies to buy that? Wot?

I don't know how nVidia expects to stay in business with these kinds of price asks. Yes, there will always be slobbering, rabid fan-bois that will drop cash at every new release, even if they have to go the next two months without food, but that alone cannot possibly sustain.

I think nVidia realized that they had a runaway train with the 10 series, when AMD came out with the really weak Vega line, and they're trying to capitalize on it by targeting (as mr fox says) the dummies with more money than sense. It used to be tit for tat when it came to red vs green, now it is just green steamrolling the GPU world. And here we see the monopoly hard at work. This is why competition is good.

I don't see how they can justify asking those prices too, for tech that, like you said, basically doesn't exist. "Yeaaaa, here's this super awesome tech that gives you SHINY THINGS".

K. But where is it?

And when it does finally show up, the performance isn't great. I can forgive that, at least, because it is Gen1 immature tech. I cannot forgive sucking up 50% of a GPU die on a 12nm process for tech that we don't even have, and that requires a ****load of extra time on the development cycle, just to integrate nVidia's ray tracing into the rendering process for a game.

AMD is supposed to be releasing their NAVI line on the 7nm process, and supposedly (unconfirmed though), they've got ray tracing tech in the works too.

Given how well AMD cards seem to do with Vulkan, and the continuing adoption of it (thank ****, I've hated DX for years), their cards might actually outperform nVidia's, given the right conditions, for fractions of the cost. I mean, with a 290X, I was able to do 1080p on Doom 2016 hitting 150+ FPS on maxed out settings. That's really good for a card from 2012.

What nVida really needs to do is take the Turing line, and do a second release, without RTX cores on. The cards would be really good, and in fact, probably outperform the hell out of the current Turing line, purely because of all the freed up die space. They could also drop the prices to match last gen prices. That would make more sense. Like, do a 2065, 2075, 2085, 2085ti (please), etc.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  9. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    I’m over Nvidia’s shenanigans atm.

There is no way in hell im paying anywhere near what they’re asking for the 2080ti.

I even regretted buying an EVGA Kingpin 1080ti because it was so expensive. Luckily (why I do not know) the market for Kingpins went back up recently and I was able to sell my Kingpin for the price I paid earlier this year.

I ended up buying a Sapphire Vega 64 brand new with discounts for $321 shipped from Newegg and pocket the massive difference and it does the job for what I need.

It will be quite awhile before I return to Nvidia’s camp.*

* I reserve the right to be a hypocrite anytime :) :) :)

hmscott likes this.
  10. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Turing *might* get cheaper when the Pascal stocks finally run dry, but it will likely still end up costing more than the equivalent Pascal GPU did. To be fair to nVidia, these Turing cards probably do cost more to manufacture, but they will still be getting some silly margins on them at the current pricing. The only thing which will bring Turing prices down to a reasonable level is if AMD manage to give us something that can compete with the 2070 and 2080 at a lower price. They should be able to manage that on 7nm, since Turing was a pretty small improvement over Pascal. If by some miracle they beat Turing by a considerable margin then I would expect Turing to be very short lived before nVidia replace it. Not holding my breath for that one though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.