Ray tracing another BS

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Danishblunt, Nov 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's incredible looking and definitely the future. For the first time in a long time we are finally pushing graphics technology and image quality thanks to Nvidia. No worries though, AMD will copycat like they always do. Maybe they will come out with FRT/Free-RT or some crap in a couple years when they can figure it out.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    When is the key answer we need. It's certainly not RTX 1.0, likely not even RTX 5.0, so that's 10 years away at least.

Fusion Plasma Power on-grid is now advertised as being 15 years away, and many other things we can't do yet are just over the horizon, but the future can be much further away than you think. Progress is much slower than I'd expected when I was starting out.

I thought everyone would soon be using Wireless networks back in 1976-1984, and they could, for about $100,000 per node pair, then $50k, then $10k. And, they were the size of huge assemblages, then the size of luggage. It took until 1999 before Wireless was in notebooks.

So that was 20+ years from the time I was exposed to wireless networks until notebooks got them for the first time. RF, optical, it doesn't matter the mode, the solutions were a gradual drop in size and cost before it was available to the consumer for what was an incidental cost.

I thought very soon everyone would be using UNIX and the Internet back in 1978, and we are still struggling to get everyone online, although I think we can declare a win at this point. Not so much for UNIX for everyone, at least not quite yet.

Ray-tracing is going to take even longer, starting at this point in compute power given the slowing of doubling in performance for silicon designs.

To turn off the old methods and rely on only ray-tracing in real-time - at 144 FPS in 4k, for costs $400 and under, is much further off than you think.

It's a nice idea, but like fusion reactors, decades away. And, that's only if people make it an investment priority and invest $10B's over that time.

And, is the pay-off really worth it?? We can't seem to do it for "free" power, why would we do it for "free" ray's? :)

Nuclear fusion on brink of being realised, say MIT scientists
    Carbon-free fusion power could be ‘on the grid in 15 years’
    Fri 9 Mar 2018 00.01 EST
    https://www.theguardian.com/environ...on-brink-of-being-realised-say-mit-scientists

Which will we reach first? On-grid Nuclear fusion?, or 100% real-time Ray-tracing? Which do you want us all to invest in and deliver first? :D

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's so cute that you all are so excited about RT performance improvements when they are all from reducing ray shots and reducing objects in use (no leaves rustling).

If you then applied those freed up RT resources and applied it to more RT treatment where there is zero coverage, you'd quickly be back to 30 FPS.

Even with that huge silicon commitment, there just isn't enough compute power to do 100% RT in any real-time usable form, and hardware isn't going to improve in performance quickly enough to give you the compute needed for 100% RT only implementation - not for a long time.

So, I'm glad you find these FPS "improvements" all so amazing, but it's not at all amazing, it's sad. No one would normally allow a release without those optimizations already done - done many times - with resources reapplied to meet the "eye" candy target within an FPS / quality target.

RT treatment in BFV was rushed in and out so fast it's just a smattering of % implementation and optimizations against that minor %, and the RTX hardware can't hope to cope with the remaining implementation left on the table to complete to reach 100% replacement. :(

4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Old man shakes fist at technological advancement. The boomer memes write themselves.

5. hmscott

Reputations:
    You've lost your way in the discussion, and you have no good come back. If this is the best you can do in response, then instead of posting drivel, wait until your brain catches up so you can deliver an intelligent response. We'll wait for you. Take your time.

6. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Newer isn't always better but it's not like I don't understand your point.

Call me when have better enemy ai, F. E. A. R. Still seems to be the bar unless I missed something. I have been rather disenfranchised with games of late.

hmscott likes this.
  7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @hmscott

wifi is hardware
    raytracing is software

hardware always takes longer, i'm in the same boat. Waiting patiently for the future, but it never comes soon enough. if your intelligent as you claim. why not bring up anti-aging medicines, I figure life is more important than connecting wirelessly to McDonalds......so yes 144 will back yrekabakery...you both have points, and you appear more intelligent due to age.

hmscott likes this.
  8. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    WLAN modules with no software to grant function is a paper weight and not a very good one at that.

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    RT Cores / Tensor cores, 50% of the area of the RTX GPU die is ruined with that crap.

Wifi is mostly software, the hardware is the RF, modulation, and interfaces supporting the software. Running all that hardware is the software, as are the protocols and applications that drive it.

As far as length of life vs. quality of life vs costs, I'd have to say RTX is a complete failure at providing both quality of life while it exists and length of life as it's also going to be a sharp failure of short duration.

The only successful thing RTX GPU's are doing is gathering lots of money for Nvidia and it's partners. At least until people wake up and figure out they are being ripped off. Then they can buy GTX GPU's and AMD GPU's, save a bunch of money, and still game just fine.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    electrosoft likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Even without RTX Nvidia could still charge premium. No competition. They have virtually full monopoly.
    See above.

Vistar Shook likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.