Ray tracing another BS

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Danishblunt, Nov 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:

It's not hypocrisy if you get what's good for you at the time. Better not to get overly attached to or overly opposed to any particular brand.

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Its only the future if you like to give away control over your games etc and be totally dependent on internet. I rather run all my stuff in house. Also linus his video is just sponsored content in the utmost ideal settings. No way it can replace my setup at home. 1440p 165hz gaming goodness and an 150mbit fibre optic connection. Its pretty much the best you can get for online gaming. No online streaming platform can offer such framerates, fidelity and minimum input lag.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Vistar Shook and hmscott like this.
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Lest we also forget that a lot of HSI connections in the US are capped now. Assuming my math is correct, playing for 3 hours per day at the recommended 50 Mb/s quality setting will blow through a 1 TB data limit in a little more than 2 weeks.

4. Koniptn

Koniptn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used to be an "AMD fanboi".

I was one of those insufferable drooling spods that would sit there, waving AMDs flag all day. I had been using computers since the great Athalon days, when AMD would release CPUs on par or better than Intel's for a fraction of the cost back then.

Then I grew up and realized, brands don't mean jack ****. What matters is what camp is offering the performance per dollar victory.

Admittedly, that did leave me in AMDs camp for a little while longer, but I was at least investigating Intel after that.

Then the 8350FX dropped, and, frothing at the mouth for an 8Core CPU I was like "YES PLEASSSE".

But it slurped hot turd on a sunlight shingle. I think I used that CPU about a year? Then I went with Intel's 6700k. Which is in the very computer I'm using right now, along with a 980TI and a 1080TI.

Now that AMD is back on the rise(en < see what I did there?) at least in the CPU field, I am strongly considering marching right back into their camp.

If Zen2 drops and is as good as everyone is speculating, I am definitely returning. Intel and nVidia have lost their damn minds with these latest price asks and Intel especially with this SKU remix ********. i7 no longer has hyperthreading? i9 does now? And it's SIX HUNDRED FARTING DOLLARS? No. I will not do it

Also, Intel is STILL vulnerable to the occasional hauntings from spectre. I would like to place myself on a platform that has been taking active steps to mitigate that, even while advancing hardware manufacturing. That's been AMD all the way.

That being said, if Intel smartened the hell up and started changing their tunes, I might stick with them for this next round.

I've been thinking about a MicroATX build for my desktop iteration, because mini-PC gaming is pretty cool. It's lookin like AMD might be powering that build this time around

hmscott and undervolter0x0309 like this.
  5. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Reputations:

I'm leaning somewhat that way myself for a media center, little Ryzen box for emulators and hosting a media library. I think I can squeeze more life from my main rig's CPU so I'll probably re-evaluate with what's going on in the industry when that becomes necessary.

hmscott and undervolter0x0309 like this.
  6. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not being loyal to a brand keeps the industry in check and grounded. Brand loyalty, imo, is what creates irrationalities in the industry. Like Apple pushing for forever/throttling laptops and many OEMS capitulating due to the blind/indoctrinated apple consumer base.

Thank God that's starting to erode very quickly. The industry eventually becomes grounded again, but when customers don't have brand loyalty, the groundedness happens much quicker.

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's the thinking that gets you saddled with $1300-$2500 of RTX sucker bait instead of spending $500 on a used GTX 1080ti.

It's better to go in patiently, informed and awake, and to not buy things with the knee jerk reaction induced by slick marketing and peer pressure.

And, given a long track record of snake like behavior, there's no reason to not have the shovel ready, just in case. :cool:

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  8. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    That actually fits with what I said, in many cases, what's good at the time may well be that used 1080ti. After all, I'm notoriously wary of the first gen of anything, so it's unlikely you'll see me singing praises of RTX right away or whatever that thing Intel is working on when that shows up. I just think it's poor form to go "I'll never buy from [insulting portmanteau of manufacturer name]" and leave it as a foregone conclusion that it will never be a good idea to buy something, new or used, from a particular one.

hmscott and Prototime like this.
  9. Koniptn

Koniptn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well nVidia's stock just tanked too. They're gonna need a rabbit out of a fat hat if they want to stay afloat. Either major price tanks to move more units or a release on par with the 1080ti of last gen. Because if they don't do something, they're gonna end up in a situation like RTG is in. Poor performance releases and people vacating the company

hmscott likes this.
  10. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm actually grateful customers are pushing back against these ridiculous prices. Whether it's apple's $1k iphone or graphics cards that offer minimal visual change for a premium price.

A lot of tech workers get paid very well but are apathetic to most of the population. Almost any mediocre engineer can deliver inefficient/expensive technology. Only the few and passionate will strive to deliver high performance that is also very efficient.

These investor led companies need to learn to let customers breath and not have to keep pumping half-baked and expensive tech

My two cents

hmscott and Prototime like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.