Random Reboots X1 Carbon 2017

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by dirkules, Nov 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dirkules

dirkules Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone
    I have a problem with my newly purchased X1 Carbon with 7500u config.
    Since I bought it without Windows I used my MSDNAA Windows 10 License to install Win10 Pro Fall Creators Update. From the first time I installed Windows I kept getting random reboots. The cursor stops moving, the screen goes black and after a while the machine reboots itself.

I used BlueScreenView to check the minidump. For every occurance, the minidump shows dxgkrnl.sys, igdkmd64.sys and ntoskrnl.exe as the cause for the bsod. I proceeded to upgrade to the newest intel HD driver from the lenovo Site which didn't help. I reinstalled windows and used Lenovo System Update to find all the drivers assuming it would choose the appropriate ones. This didn't help either.
    I then reinstalled Windoes once more and used the newest intel HD driver from intel's website which didn't help either. I also tried the bios diagnostics which all came back clear.

I have used ThrottleStop to undervolt the CPU and iGPU because i thought maybe there is a heat problem. The problem keeps coming back but on a fresh reboot when I open Throttlestop it already has the box next to prochot 91° checked.

Has anybody an idea what else I could try to solve this problem?

Thanks

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 thwink

Reputations:
    Have you tried to disable the undervolt and lenovo power setting / power manager?

Use autoruns to see if there's any lenovo app on your startup list.

dirkules likes this.
  3. Pintu

Pintu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That sounds like a hardware defect to me, specifically the Motherboard. Had a similar problem with an X240 (system freeze, blue screen, reboot) recently and the Motherboard required replacement.

dirkules likes this.
  4. dirkules

dirkules Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that and it didn't help unfortunately.

I opened a ticket with the lenovo support team and pretty much wrote what I said here. Without ever asking any return questions they immediately ordered a new mainbord so I think they are familiar with that fault. I haven't scheduled a repair yet but so far I am impressed with the hassle free warranty.