Random FPS Drop, Due to Card Overtemp? 4870's

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Aedaric, Nov 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Those temps are too high. No game should get them there. You probably have some thermal throttling going on. When is the last time you cleaned the gunk out of your heatsinks or applied new thermal paste?

2. Harryboiyeye

Harryboiyeye Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 2nd GPU is fine but the 1st is a little high really. But shouldn't cause such throttling. The 5870 thermic shut down limit is 114C. Not sure what the 4870 is.

And Turbod unless he is out of warranty then he can't apply different paste except Dell's crap stuff. :mad:

3. Aedaric

Aedaric Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Cleaned it out probably about two weeks ago and I've only had the system for about 4 months. In regards to the thermal paste, I haven't done it because it should of been find out of the box, granted I wasn't expecting 60°C temps while playing the heaviest games, but still.

4. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    All of his GPU temps accept for one are above 95°C. Those are not good temperatures for regular gaming. A stress testing program like FurMark should be the only thing that ever gets them that high. The one 74°C temperature is because he didn't set it to keep the max temp, or I'm sure it would have been 95+ as well. When Dell technicians come out, they use whatever they've got, so I'm quite sure it doesn't matter. What game are you playing that gets your cards this hot? I believe there is an issue, and the laptop needs to be opened up.

5. Harryboiyeye

Harryboiyeye Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I see what you mean now, yes. However, when I game I sometimes leave two GPU-z open to monitor temps and my 2nd GPU is always about 10C cooler or so.

My max temps for gaming are about 80C but most of the time they are about 74C tops.

EDIT: Having just got a Coolermaster Notepal U3 because I felt the Lappy needed to be a bit cooler, I noticed that Black Ops no longer has minor slow-downs the OP is describing in other games. Further reinforcing the temperature issue. But also having asked Dell about my temps, I quote:

''100C is fine''

In relation to my 5870m setup. You may want to call Dell and ask what temps you should be having.

6. Aedaric

Aedaric Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yea, the max temp for my slave card was 98 degrees. This is in Dragon Age: Origins with no AA, Graphics set to High, not extra. Also, these cards are rated to up to 120°C according to ATI, however, that is the chipset I suppose, not dells ized version using GDDR3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.