RAM upgrade question

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by MastaSlyce, Nov 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MastaSlyce

MastaSlyce Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I'm sorry to be asking a question to which most of ye will probably think is a a very basic one but I'm new enough to upgrading my laptop so do have as much experience.

I have a HP Pavilion 15-n271ea
    I want to upgrade the RAM which is in it (4GB) to hopefully 16GB. Firstly though I' want to put in an extra RAM stick.

My problem is I do not know if the RAM which I am looking to buy will actually even do. I read that RAM isnt all about getting bigger size, apparently that I will need to check that my motherboard can hold it.

I want to put this in it

Kingston HyperX Impact DDR3L Memoria RAM 8GB 1600MHz Ram SODIMM

I dont know what Im looking at so was hoping someone here could help me out please?

Thanks for reading and I'd really appreciate some advice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Code:
    Processor (CPU)
    CPU Name
    AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics

Threading
    1 CPU - 4 Core - 4 Threads

Frequency
    1496.97 MHz (15 * 99.8 MHz) - Uncore: 798.4 MHz

Multiplier
    Current: 15 / Min: 8 / Max: 15

Architecture
    Kabini / KB-A1-Step (28 nm)

Cpuid / Ext.
    F.0.1 / 16.0

IA Extensions
    MMX(+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, SSE4A, x86-64, AMD-V, AES, AVX

Caches
    L1D : 32 KB / L2 : 2048 KB

Caches Assoc.
    L1D : 8-way / L2 : 16-way

TDP / Vcore
    15 Watts / 1.05 Volts

Temperature
    54.3 °C / 130 °F

Type
    Retail (Stock Frequency : 1500 MHz)

Motherboard
    Model
    Hewlett-Packard 216F

Socket
    Socket FT3 (BGA769)

North Bridge
    AMD K16 IMC rev 00

South Bridge
    AMD Kabini FCH rev 7.2

BIOS
    Insyde F.13 (11/20/2013)

Memory (RAM)

Total Size
    4096 MB

Type
    Single Channel (64 bit) DDR3-SDRAM

Frequency
    798.4 MHz - Ratio 1:8

Timings
    11-11-12-28-39 (tCAS-tRC-tRP-tRAS-tCS)

Slot #1 Module
    Ramaxel Technology 4096 MB (DDR3-1600) - P/N: RMT3170EF68F9W1600
    Graphic Card (GPU)

GPU Type
    AMD Radeon HD 8330 @ 496 MHz

GPU Brand
    Hewlett-Packard

GPU VRAM
    512 MB @ 800 MHz

Storage (HDD/SSD)

Model #1
    HGST HTS541075A9E680

Capacity #1
    750 GB

Miscellaneous

Windows Version
    Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit

Windows Subver.
    Build 14393

CPU-Z Version
    1.78.0 (64 bit)

Could it be that my harddrive would be better upgrading rather than RAM?[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  2. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hey, welcome to the forums :D

That laptop supports 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz RAM total so that Kingston RAM should work and if added to the empty slot, it will give you 12GB RAM total. You may simply just want to add another 4GB module to match your existing one. That will give you 8GB total which is more than enough for most users and it will probably be a cheaper option. If you get the same exact module you also more or less eliminate any incompatibility issues that can come about from mixing and matching modules from different manufacturers. Just do a search for "Ramaxel RMT3170EF68F9W." I would even consider a used DIMM as long as it has been tested to be functional. You can probably find a working used one on e-bay for around 20 dollars.

Also, check out Crucial.com to find out what's compatible in your laptop. They make top-notch RAM as well.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/pavilion-15-n271ea

You are right about the hard drive. I think upgrading to an SSD will give you a huge boost in performance over a mechanical 5400rpm drive like yours. It will be a more immediately noticeable upgrade than the RAM, but I still think 8GB of RAM will be a good upgrade in addition to an SSD. Just be aware that SSDs cost more per GB than mechanical drives. If you need the extra space but can't afford a bigger SSD, you can always get a smaller SSD that you can afford for your operating system and apps, and use your 750GB drive externally with a USB hard drive adapter. Best of luck!

Upgrading the hard drive on that laptop is a bit of a task, but doable. Here's a vid showing how:

EDIT: Another option to consider about the HDD upgrade is to add an SSD to the hard drive slot, then using a SATA optical drive to hard drive adapter, you can use your current mechanical drive internally in your laptop. That way you'll have two drives inside your laptop: an SSD for your OS and apps and the mechanical drive for your data. If your laptop has an optical drive already installed, it will have to be removed to do this. Anyway, you'll need to get something like this.

http://www.laptop-parts.net/hp-pavilion-15-n271ea-2nd-hdd-hard-drive-caddy.html

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Starlight5 likes this.
  3. djembe

djembe drum while you work

Reputations:
    Cost is something else to consider before doing many upgrades. You've got an A4 processor, which is very weak compared to other systems. It could be more cost-effective to upgrade the whole thing and get a new system than to just upgrade some components.

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    I just did an (emergency) upgrade to an A10-87ooP based platform for a client.

See:
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2005&cmp[]=2542

The multithreaded 'score' is 84% better than your platform is capable of and the single threaded 'score' is 210% (yeah; twice as fast) as your A4 processor too.

I upgraded the RAM to 8GB from 4GB. I replaced the (dead) HDD with an SanDisk Extreme 960GB SSD I had lying around as a spare. I did a clean Win10x64Pro install on the system and downloaded only the drivers and installed Office 2016 on the system. Very lean and mean install (12.4GB Win+Programs).

And the system was still dog slow.

I took it to my client and asked their opinion. They thought it was okay and worth the price that I charged them (a fair price, I may add).

In my opinion? Waste of additional RAM module and a top of the line SSD too... Even though the client will be able to depend on this system for the next dozen years or so...

Just too sloooooooowwww for me. In both snappiness and actual 'productivity' even in 'normal' workloads.

I can't even imagine using this system with 4GB RAM and a HDD and doing so with my own money too. ;)

Sell what you have and buy as current as you can, Intel based system instead.

Then do the RAM and SSD upgrades you're considering to do to your current platform to the new one instead.

Starlight5 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.