RAM upgrade for Aspire 5315-2895 (not sure which one)

Discussion in 'Acer' started by wdro, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdro

wdro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. bigozone

bigozone JellyRoll touring now

Reputations:
    for some strange reason i can't get the Kensington page to load,,
    but the memory pictured should work...
    but check this link..
    http://corsair.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?vcode=PGCRS&partnum=VS1GSDS667D2

http://www.corsairmemory.com/configurator/corsair_custom.aspx?id=452940

be sure to get PC5300 or higher so if u upgrade to a faster CPU your memory speeds will be able to go higher than the 533Mhz that the PC4200 supports.

the page you linked to only shows model#s and not actual memory specs..
    while the PC4200 is all that is required the PC5300 costs little if any extra,,, and has the advantages of faster speeds...

later,
    bigO

3. wdro

wdro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks, I just want to make sure that it is the MEMF and not the MEME one because this is a workplace laptop and the boss is ordering it. I'll be in trouble if it is the wrong one :p I googled both MEMF and MEME and I couldn't really tell the difference. The speed doesn't really matter to me as long as the stick is compatible with the notebook. That's all I'm worried about.

4. bigozone

Reputations:
  5. rigacci

rigacci Newbie

Reputations:
    Is it true about the 5315 being able to handle 4GB of memory (2 2GB sticks)? :confused:

I see a reference to it but nothing really firm. :D

I have GSkill 1 GB sticks in there now but would like to go to 2GB sticks if I can. The following link has a reference saying:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231135

This thing flies with 2GB and XP loaded. Next question would be whether XP will see the full 4GB or will just the Vista? I am dual-booting.

Thanks fellas. Great stuff here.

DR :cool:

6. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You'll need to have a 64-bit operating system to utilize all 4GB of RAM. Otherwise, your system will "see" 3.5GB or less.

7. bigozone

Reputations:
    ACER ASPIRE 5315's with 4 gigs of RAM installed tend to have CONSTANT BSOD errors... your best bet for now (until ACER addresses the issue) is to go with a total of 3gigs of ram... (a 1gig dimm and a 2 gig dimm)

while the chipset supports it and the laptop will USUALLY BOOT w/ 4 gigs... 99% of the time you have a lockup within the first 1 minute of use

8. basshead

basshead Newbie

Reputations:
    Q1. is vista 64bit os(as noted here) opposed to xp-32bit?

----so my aspire 5315 with vista will accept 4gb ram -no problems?

Q2.alternatively,if i was to add 2gb stick next to the existing 1gbtotalling 3gb,

---are there any issues with coupling two different brand names of ram,more importantly-- two different ram speeds?
    (eg,533mhz,667mhz,800mhz-are some of the specs' i see on sale items)

note:my old desktop had 3three sticks totalling 1.5gb.first stick-333mhz,other two- are 400mhz-i didnt look when i bought the upgrade! -but seems to run fine.
    thanks for the tips!

9. bodes-sh

bodes-sh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ok,
    q1 no. vista comes in 32 and 64 bit versions. the laptop (well i reckon it's the os) can't handle 4gb at this stage. i have tried it myself, but have gone back to 3gb because it won't even boot with 4gb in there. it turns on and gets up to the loading windows bar, then blue screens and restarts. comes up with some sort of memory addressing error, even tried to reinstall windows with 4gb and it wouldn't even run properly, same error, so i gave up.

q2 you can use different speeds, but the computer will run at the lowest speed, so if you have a 2gb stick of pc4200 (533mhz) and a 1gb of pc5300 (667mhz) it will run at 4200 (533). i wouldn't bother with 800mhz ram unless you can get it cheap (ie, cheaper than what you could get 667 for). the fastest these laptops support at this stage is 667, so anything above that will be slowed to that speed. oh and as for different brands, that doesn't matter either. I have one stick of 2gb ocz and 1gb hynix and they run fine together

good luck, hope that helps

10. MarkK29

MarkK29 Newbie

Reputations:
    hi, im new here so plz dont blast me if this is silly to ask

i have a aspire 5315 and a medion akoya mini, i will be upgrading the ram on the akoya and wanted to know if the 1gb ram that comes with the akoya i could put in my aspire and increase to 2gb?

the akoya ram spec is:1gb DDR2 PC2-5300 667Mhz

im guessing no, seeing as the aspire is not PC2, not that i know what that is

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.