RAM 16 GB? 32 GB or more?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by tilleroftheearth, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    32gb is nice and its what I use. I have said this before for ram and cpu performance in order of most important to least: Duel Channel>Duel rank> Lowest true latency value(highest frequency, lowest latency)> and finally ram size. Depending on what you do, having more ram over more performance may be ideal however, unless you want to save money and go for 16gb, which is more then enough for performance.

2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    @Casowen, RAM capacity (size) should be first on your list. :) Having 32GB RAM has you spoiled... ;)

16GB RAM wasn't enough for 'performance' (even mere multitasking for office-type workloads on a dual-monitor setup) from circa ~2010.

Anything related to 'editing', be it images, videos, audio or even PDF's needs much more than 16GB of RAM and depending on the type of files (i.e. 'raw' footage, etc.) even 32GB and 64GB RAM capacity limits what you can edit/output per hour. Multitasking is effectively the same, particularly with today's web-based workloads that needs multiple tabs open and (in my case) multiple browsers too.

Having the platform at the maximum capacity its capable of, first, and then updating the modules for further improvements (Dual Rank, etc.) as they can be cost-effectively purchased throughout the lifecycle of the platform is the ideal.

This will give you maximum performance from not only the O/S but also the CPU, GPU, SSD and all other ancillary components too. It is a synergistic effect and allows to fully employ the power of the components for the users' benefit, rather than for background/housekeeping tasks for the platform itself.

Saving $$ is relative when considering the increased performance over time (over the lifecycle of the platform you buy). You either spend it on hardware to save you time or increase your productivity or both, which are the important metrics to me or, keep it on deposit where it does no good except for the banks (assuming you have it to languish there and you haven't maxed out your platforms already).

When mere 'power' web-browsing can bring a 16GB system to its knees, 32GB is the new entry-level for any computer you want to keep using for the next half-decade or so.

It really is kinda sad to see the new Surface Laptop 3 13.5" limited to just 16GB and soldered on too! Especially with the new Intel 10th gen platform and that ideal 1, 2 Knockout punch from the fast IR cameras and the Instant-On tech. With ~9 hours battery life and being available instantly (no hibernation!), it is a great candidate for a 'digital notebook' that can be relied on day in and day out. Being able to upgrade the SSD inside is the icing on the cake.

Oh well, maybe SL4 will have what I require. ;)

3. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    My personal minimum for main machine is 32GB of any DDR4 RAM, regardless of speed and number of channels. Usecase-specific secondary x86 machines are OK with as low as 4GB. I generally shun RAM older than DDR4 in my x86 machines for security reasons - less suspectible to Rowhammer attacks - although most of my ARM devices run LP/DDR3 happily, and Raspberry Pi Zero has ancient LPDDR2.
    How did you enable DDR4-2666 for i5 8250u, via XMP? Did you verify that it is actually running at 2666 not 2400?

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  4. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There must be a lot of chrome users in here, lol. I don't get anywhere near filling up 16GB of ram usage running multiple firefox windows with many tabs.

triturbo and tilleroftheearth like this.
  5. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    To quote me from the first post. :)

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally i think 8GBs is more than enough for the average user. I had this laptop for almost 6 years and never had an issue with using just 8GBs of RAM besides playing certain games like GTA V that uses a lot of RAM. My next PC will have at least 16 GBs of RAM running on Dual channel mode and no more than that since to me 32GBs of RAM is a overkill unless you're running programs like photoshop or running high quality video editing programs that uses a ton of RAM.

7. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    @KING19, yup! 6 years of using an 8GB platform will do that to you. :D

I see you're still on Win8.1 too. ;)

I can understand that some are not as sensitive as I am when it comes to having the lowest latency on my platforms, but that does not negate the facts. Spending a one time charge of ~$80 to get to 32GB vs. 16GB will be rewarded each time you use the new system in the next 6 years. :)

Of course; buy what you feel is right for your usage. But you're already bending; 'at least 16GB of RAM' slipped into your response above. The logical step above that '16GB' of RAM is 32GB to keep the Dual Channel gods happy. :)

At 32GB's and above is where Windows 10 v1909 starts to breathe easier when you're pushing the rest of the system hard.

If your next system will also be used for gaming, then be prepared to have greater than 16GB installed before the end of its lifecycle, that is, if you're still playing games by then. ;)

KING19 and Starlight5 like this.
  8. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    What's wrong with overkill? :) I decided to get 32GB since I wanted to get faster RAM speed, and the pricing for 32GB kits are very nice right now. The DDR4-2933 hit the sweet spot for me, being only $4 more than 2666 at the time of purchase. Plus I'm sure this kit will bump up to 3200 if I cared to do it.

Starlight5 and tilleroftheearth like this.
  9. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  10. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I guess I need to read up on optane memory it's the second time I heard of it in the last hour.

ole!!! and tilleroftheearth like this.