RAID 0 worth it for gaming?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Falcore, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falcore

Falcore Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For gaming, would two 80g 7200.2rpm HDs in RAID 0 configuration give better performance then 1 160g 7200.2rpm HD? As in any HD based tasks are performed noticebly faster?

I am aware that with RAID 0 I could be risking the loss of both drives if one dies but its not a large concern for me.

Thanks.

2. dietcokefiend

dietcokefiend DietGreenTeaFiend

Reputations:
    While yes it will be faster, is the extra risk and extra cost worth a 5-15% jump in HD performance?

3. pyro9219

pyro9219 Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    RAID mostly helps in games when loading maps/zones. Once in game, your experience won't change noticably, if at all..

In the days of Anarchy Online, I used to have a large advantage over other's having my raid 0, because my zone times were nearly instant. Some FPS games also benefit like BF2/2142, because it gives you time to pick your gear etc before the round begins, so you can start taking flags the second the match starts.

4. X-29

X-29 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I understand that RAID 0 is more risky than RAID 1, but is it really and more risky than having a single hard drive that might fail anyway?

5. dietcokefiend

Reputations:
    If a single drive fails, you only lose data on that drive. If a RAID-0 drive fails, you lose data from both drives in the array. So you double the chances of failure, and double the data loss.

6. Falcore

Reputations:
    Are there any figures on what are the chances/how often a drive fails? Has yet to happen to me with any computer I've owned over the last 10 years.

7. dietcokefiend

Reputations:
    Overall its pretty random, but since laptops can see much more wear and tear from bumps or drops failure rates are much higher than in a desktop application.

8. Zero

Zero The Random Guy

Reputations:
    The likely hood of a single drive failing is quite low, but by being dependant on two drives, you effectiveky double the risk. RAID 0 offers very little to a gamer, because it can only help with load times, and even those are not decreased a massive amount. Its better to consider a faster single hard disk, then doubling two up in an array.

9. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I am currently using a Sager NP9260 with a RAID 0 array (2x 80GB 7200RPM SATA). I have to say that while I do notice a performance increase over my laptop's 100GB 7200RPM, the difference is not huge. Games load maybe 20% faster and startup is quicker too. However, the difference is not substantial enough to justify doubling the risk of data loss. I would recommend a RAID 1 array - that's the way to go.

10. Falcore

Reputations:
    I guess I am considering it primarily because I play mostly MMORPG's and all of those, as far as I know, involve some sort of zone loading. I've had many times with my old laptop where I would be left behind on the zone line. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.