1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

RAGE M18x Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by mharidas, Oct 5, 2011.

1. mharidas

mharidas VLSI/FAB Engineer

Reputations:
    There is a new performance driver package from AMD specifically for rage, no version numbers given

Here is the link.

I am going to give the driver a try but I don't have the game.

AMD Catalyst? - Rage Performance Driver

2. TheMacs

TheMacs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it a CAP?

3. mharidas

Reputations:
    Its a full package 144MB in size.

4. daveh98

daveh98 P4P King

Reputations:
    How does it run? May try it as the 11.10 preview is buggy and no brightness controls..

5. mharidas

Reputations:
    Haven't tried it just yet, caught up in something so cant restart the system.

6. Predator17

Predator17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Guys

This is my first post as I am another proud Australian owner of a M18x that I absolutely love. The reason I chose this rig was largely due this forum and community spirit that is shown here. (Also the lights, I just love them)

This driver works perfect on my machine with crossfire 6990m's so far.

It also in conjunction with forcing vertical sync has resolved all my Rage issues and the game now works flawlessly.

This is my first laptop so I am no expert but thought I would share my results in case it helped

Cheers

7. mharidas

Reputations:
    Thats good to know, so RAGE owners can use this driver. Not sure how this works with BF3 beta.

I am still unable to restart my system just yet. Might try it out later in the night.

8. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Welcome aboard! Enjoy da beast! :cool:

Funny, it only took AMD a few days to offer a proper fix for RAGE and many have already changed their mind about the REDs, hehe. Have faith, my fellow Radeonians! Have faith! :)

9. mharidas

Reputations:
    Yeah I never subscribed to this view that AMD drivers being poor or bad in terms of delivering performance fixes in a timely manner. Its seems to be FUD spread by Nvidia PR dept way back in the day which is now simply being carried over as folk lore.

10. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    ^^ Very true.

11. Predator17

Reputations:
    Thanks for the welcome and enjoying it I am. I think this was probably the only laptop that could of gotten me out of my desktop comfort zone without looking back.

In regards to your comment mharidas about how good this driver works with BF3, sorry I am honestly not sure as I have not played the Beta

Sorry still trying to add my specs in my signature and no luck yet

12. mharidas

Reputations:
    Trouble with making the signature?

13. Predator17

Reputations:
    Yes, I must be missing something. I added the specs to my profile in additional information but now I am thinking that is the wrong area. Any tips?

On further thought I think it is because I am not permitted to have a signature. So I will post my specs here below

M18x | Stealth Black | 18.4" Full HD WLED LCD Panel | i7-2820QM | Killer Wireless-N 1103 | Dual Radeon HD6990M AMD Crossfire | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 2 x 500GB SSD Hybrid Drives in Raid 0 | Blu-Ray Slot Loaded | Internal High-Def 5.1 Soundblaster X-Fi Audio

14. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This new driver states:

AMD Catalyst Rage Performance Driver Features:
    •Significant performance gains for single GPU configurations
    •Compatible with AMD Radeon™ HD 6000, AMD Radeon HD 5000 and AMD Radeon HD 4000 series of graphics products
    •Includes the latest OpenGL driver component for Rage performance optimizations

So any real benefit to crossfire setups here? - unless you are running with x/f disabled which kinda defeats the purpose, right?

15. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you go into "User Control Panel / User CP" as pictured below, you will see some options on the left side of the screen - one of which is signature....just click and add buddy...simples.

Attached Files:

16. locust76

locust76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From 11.9 to 11.9 with the atioglxx.dll from the Rage Performance Driver in the Rage directory I see a huge performance increase, even though it only uses 1 GPU.

Installing the Rage Performance Driver messes up my computer really bad, and kills my Logitech Gaming Software to the point where it won't even start if the hotfix installed using the installer. That means, no G13, no G930! :(. With just the .dll in the Rage directory, everything works fine!

The game is running easily over 60 FPS (the evidence is in the tearing!) at all times on one 6990m! Also don't get any freezing or popping of textures or any of that crap.

With VSYNC on, this game is beautiful!

17. Predator17

Reputations:
    That is interesting about the .dll and I agree even though it only uses one card great speed and no graphics glitches.

In regards to Logitech software, I must be lucky as I have a G700 and no problems at all works perfectly with the Rage Performance Driver so far. Very nice to know about the .dll as a backup plan though if problems do develop

18. Predator17

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tip, at least I know I am in the right area. I do not seem to have however a signature option on the left side of the screen under settings and options although I do have all the other ones.

All solved when I logged on today the Signature option appeared. Thanks for your help

19. devillucifer

devillucifer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    even on 6970m, it runs so perfectly that i find it feels kinda strange 0__0

the graphic is beautiful ! with amazing frame rates
    i wish there are more game using this engine... something about openGL 4.2 they said.

SS 1920x1080p, 4xAA
    [​IMG]

p/s : beside that i have alot of crashing with other graphic application that using OpenGL like : GPUcapsviewer, cinebench 11 & 10, photoshop ... :(

20. locust76

locust76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yea you probably only use SetPoint, though. With the G13 is a program called "Logitech Gaming Software" that replaces the software for the G13 and the G-Series headsets with one piece of software (why not the mice, Logitech? Why?!?!). Really handy, but AMD stomped all over it with the Rage fix :p