Radeon Pro

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Sculls, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Sculls

Sculls Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. nuroo

nuroo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. locust76

locust76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Caution: I downloaded Radeon Pro yesterday morning and chose the option "These video drivers have features that can be enabled. Do you want Radeon Pro to enable them?" and so I did.

When I came home in the evening, Skyrim was getting less than 12fps in town on my 6990M CF. On the same detail level, the IGP (Intel HD) got 20 FPS! (with 8x AA, too! Grats Intel! No really!)

Anyways, somehow the AMD PowerPlay option got turned off entirely, and when I turned it back on, my performance jumped back up to 45-60 FPS

I'm pretty sure Radeon Pro was the culprit. It was the only thing I added that morning. I uninstalled Radeon Pro, reactivated PowerPlay and installed Radeon Pro again, without the "extra features" from the driver. This morning it worked just fine.

4. oni222

oni222 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have used radeon pro forever and I never had that issue. I always let it enable the driver features on auto and on skyrim my FPS is always above 60.

5. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ya I've accidentally turned off powerplay . GPU will stay at 100/150 even when running a game. Sucks when you finally realize what happened.

I think radeon pro just hooks into the surface format optimizations and such and that's about all the "driver feature" popup does.

6. Sculls

Sculls Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations: