R9 370 Details leaked - Finally a new architecture from AMD?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cloudfire, Mar 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    I think this one deserves a new thread.
    As some may have heard earlier from rumors, AMD originally planned to only launch R9 390X from the 300 series as a new card while the rest was rebrands to remove inventory. The GPU market share for AMD have fallen to alltime low 24%, shops had big inventory of AMD cards based on the GCN 1.x architecture piling up and had enough of failing sales and said stop. Something had to be done. Investors demanded a new direction, and AMD made changes to the plans that the entire 300 series would be new cards and not rebrands.

Fast forward, Videocardz got hold of some information about one of the upcoming cards, R9 370. What is 100% confirmed is 110-130W TDP, most likely ranging from reference 110W to 130W for the overclocked versions. That the card got a 256bit bus and its coming already in April!
    Videocardz thinks that the shader count is 1300-1500. While TechPowerUp pin it down to 1792 shaders.

What is evident here no matter what number of shaders it will have, we are dealing with a new architecture or a heavy tweaked one, with a ton better efficiency than previous cards.

R9 270X: 1280 shaders, 256bit, TDP 180W. M290X was made out of this one
    R9 370: 1300-1800 shaders, 256bit, TDP 110W.

We are talking massive improvement here!
    There will undoubtly be a mobile card based on this one, and unlike M295X, a broad range of notebook OEMs will welcome this card with open arms. AMD is finally ready to take on Maxwell in the mobile space!
    Welcome back AMD :vbthumbsup:

Source: http://videocardz.com/55051/xfx-radeon-r9-370-core-edition-leaks-out-coming-early-april

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  2. cavell219

cavell219 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Get me a new MXM mobile version!!

reborn2003, TomJGX and Cloudfire like this.
  3. Any_Key

Any_Key Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What makes you believe this will be in more notebooks this time around? I'm not trying to argue/disprove this statement, as I'm always in favor of competition but nVidia* appears to have a large share of the market in mobile GPU's at this time and the AMD top tier mobile cards only appear on a handful of units.

*window shopping observation, no statistics to back this statement up.

4. Cloudfire

Reputations:
    Clevo, Dell, MSI, they all sold machines with 7970M when it came out.
    M295X is only used by Dell because of the horrible efficiency. 125W TDP. Why would any OEM use a chip that runs much hotter than the competition, especially since GTX 970M beat it while output much less heat and essentially cost the same. It complicate cooling designs and vbios to ensure that the notebook it stable , it creates potential overheating issues (if not from the get go but years down with customers that never clean their notebooks from dust or put on new paste), it puts strain on the power supplies for the notebooks.
    We saw the mess GTX 880M was.

The chip based on R9 370 will have a thermal output and power consumption that is ideal for any OEM.
    Thats the reason why Clevo, MSI, Dell etc will use this chip in my opinion.

With 110W TDP, who knows, this might not even be the top dog from AMD. Depends on how much AMD is willing to "sacrifice" to get down to the target TDP of their mobile card

TomJGX likes this.
  5. cavell219

cavell219 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Also AMD may be able to capitalize on the Nvidia fiasco going on. They just have to market it correctly.

6. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Well hold on hold on, let's wait and see what's coming out. If Kepler and Maxwell are anything to note, number of cores is getting to be kind of moot. Let's make sure AMD's cores are improved over GCN 1.x AND that their higher numbers are something to write home about. And if the R9 370x is a 110-130W GPU, then maybe highly binned R9 380 or 380X chips can be crunched down into mobile factors? If they use the 110W chip then efficiency could be like Maxwell, but if those chips don't compete with the 970/980 (or even 980M) then it'd be a largely moot point.

BUT. BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT. I am fantastically happy that AMD is finally doing something NEW. I really hope they bring in something fantastic here! I want them to make a huge comeback in the mobile sector too.

TomJGX likes this.
  7. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    According to the VideoCardz chart, only 390 and 370 Series are based on the new GCN 1.3 architecture. Everything else is still rebadges or based on old GCN 1.1/1.2. Which is hardly different from the previous rumor, which speculated that 360 instead of 370 would be a new architecutre. Not anywhere close to being completely new GPUs top-to-bottom across the entire 300 Series.

8. kothletino

kothletino Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Blablabla... We'll see, AMD will have a hard way to get back the customers trust.

9. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Same with Nvidia

Kommando, TBoneSan and TomJGX like this.
  10. Cloudfire

Reputations:
    That chart is made up. Videocardz doesnt know.
    With 370 efficiency, it looks more like a GCN 2.0 to me. 1.3 sounds like a minot tweak. 180W to 110W is a major jump dont you think?

Well GTX 980M is based on GTX 970. A 145W card. So yeah, the top mobile card could be based on a beastlier desktop GPU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.